Simrad Go9 peformance

Feb 1, 2019
Port Hueneme
Name
David
Boat Name
Sancha
I am looking to upgrade my sounder and like the features of the Simrad Go9. It will go on a 25' Skipjack Fisherman with a Volvo outdrive. Does anyone have on the water experience with this unit? My questions are,
1.How does it perform in salt water?
2.It comes with a total scan transom mount transducer. Will both the port and starboard be functional, or will the outdrive block one view?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat Name
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
I run a go7 in mine. I have a lot of turbulence with twin outdrives. Wouldn’t hold bottom very well anything over 5-6 mph. I’m sure I could’ve moved the transducer around and improved performance, but I decided through hull was the way to go. My biggest complaint is messing with the screen while anything it stopped. I plan on keeping my go7 and complimenting it with an nss7. Having knobs makes everything easier.

Reactions: david scrivner
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
It will be blocked some on the port side. You can raise your trim a bit at slow speeds.

The GO series is just as good as the EVO. Only thing you cant do is connect additional displays via Ethernet. So if you plan on building a system, consider the EVO2 or 3 series.

Also, consider saving for a B175HW transducer. It really is the best transducer for CA inshore and offshore trolling.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat Name
Arima Sea Pacer
I have only used my new GO9 twice so far. I am pretty happy with how well it works. I fish strictly salt water. The Navionics+ local Sonar Chart is awesome. Compared to my old "Fish-n-Chip" The new Sonar chart shows much improved detail.

My boat is an outboard. I thought I would loose side view where the outboard is in the way, but I haven't noticed a difference from right to left. (see pic). Maybe if I expanded the view to look at the upper water column I might see some loss ??

This is not my first Rodeo. I have installed quite a few fish finders starting with the original circular sounders and Lowrance paper roll sounder recorders. Knowing that the least amount of EMI possible would give me the cleanest picture, I ran the transducer cable through my floor fishboxes to keep it away from any Electro-Magnetic interference. That pretty much eliminated any problems while underway.

I found that it is best to mount the transducer higher on the transom than expected. Only about 1/2" of my transducer is in the water while underway. I can hold bottom with the Transom mounted Totalscan transducer up to 30mph. I can even see limited structure detail (see pic SOG 25)using DownScan.

I really don't have any negative comments about the function of this unit. There is a learning curve with the setup/operation. If you are "Computer Challenged" you may run into some difficulties. It would be nice to have a transformer and extra power cord ($50+) so adjustments and learning how to use the powerful software could be done indoors.

I REALLY like the new “Fish Reveal”.

Hope this helps....

E62583AA-6649-41D1-A251-3CC93A5A7E50.jpeg D746B2FA-BB26-4C5A-9572-8C20CDDEE95A.jpeg B8B4369C-C755-428F-89F5-EE2ADA7F086B.jpeg 7304F171-AE57-4986-9DA2-1CF760322697.jpeg 82AA9A52-CF63-48AA-AF4F-FEE327B925CC.jpeg 4ECDFE40-AF81-4BB1-A580-48922A51B71C.jpeg 91C456B3-DD96-43A0-9B9D-F4B7C664664B.jpeg 8D97BC10-A2B0-4392-9275-63D5CB56A3CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat Name
seaswirl cc
I have a go9xse with totalscan transducer. I got mine from "www.thegpsstore.com". It came with the "Cmap" charts. I like the charts and the transducer works well for the inshore stuff I've done so far. I do also lose bottom at around 5-6 mph but maybe I could improve that by messing with transducer location. I really like the unit and haven't run into issues with the touch screen yet. It is a fairly intuitive unit so if you are computer savvy it'll be a breeze.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat Name
Arima Sea Pacer
I got mine at Westmarine. They reinstated their Price Matching Policy and right now they are also offering Triple Points.

I got $125 worth of in-store credit (triple points) in addition to the best price.

I got the free C-map also. (That was a Simrad promotion)

Reactions: colemans224
Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat Name
Arima Sea Pacer
I thought the lack of knobs and buttons would be a downfall....but it’s not.

The screen is much easier to use than I expected. The icons that you push are large. The zoom icons are large as well. You can pinch to zoom, but you don’t have to. You can use the +- icons. Actually...better than knobs and buttons because there is no possibility of water intrusion. And no moving parts to wear out over time.

The screen is similar to the one in my Dodge Ram....not really a touch screen like and iPhone. You have to apply a little pressure. Unlike the iPhone, working with wet hands is no different than dry hands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat Name
I wouldn’t let the lack of knobs get in the way of getting one. They are a lot of machine for the money. They sinc up nice with an IPad too.
FEA0DA97-CA17-4CA4-9162-C82E50A4CE6E.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2019
Port Hueneme
Name
David
Boat Name
Sancha
skipjack at rv lot.JPG
IMG_2132 (1).JPG
skipjack at rv lot.JPG
IMG_2132 (1).JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
skipjack at rv lot.JPG
IMG_2132 (1).JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
Can you control the Go9 from the iPad or is it a passive or does it function like a passive monitor? Here's some pics. The gell coat was getting a bit dingy so we painted the hull, and pilot house last year. We also extended the swim step and fabricated the ice box. Do you have any pics?

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat Name
14 Gregor - Tinacious
You should consider the Lowrance Elite 9Ti. Identical software wise and has control buttons in addition to the touch screen. I have the 7 and absolutely love it, but I lose bottom at anything over planing speed. Not a huge issue for my skiff as I'm strictly inshore.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
  • Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat Name
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Slide Piece (33' 2 deck w/slide) Top Shelf (35x10 double deck pontoon)
    You should consider the Lowrance Elite 9Ti. Identical software wise and has control buttons in addition to the touch screen. I have the 7 and absolutely love it, but I lose bottom at anything over planing speed. Not a huge issue for my skiff as I'm strictly inshore.
    I have the 7Ti with the 50/200/455/800 ducer and no problems holding bottom... here are some pics of how I have mine mounted... and a pic at 25 MPH with the old head unit (regular elite 5 chirp) but I get the same performance from the ducer with the 7Ti

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Upvote 0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Port Hueneme
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    Sancha
    It will be blocked some on the port side. You can raise your trim a bit at slow speeds.

The GO series is just as good as the EVO. Only thing you cant do is connect additional displays via Ethernet. So if you plan on building a system, consider the EVO2 or 3 series.

Also, consider saving for a B175HW transducer. It really is the best transducer for CA inshore and offshore trolling.

will the B175HW accommodate the sidescan ?

Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fortuna CA
    Name
    Kris
    Boat Name
    FD95C45B-B5CE-4EFE-B630-C2935522B9A0.jpeg
    You can control it with the Ipad. The only bummer is it won’t give you the full screen. At least I haven’t figured out how. It leaves black lines at the top and bottom. I run the same iPad and mount in my dozer. It’s pretty solid mount. I like the grey hull

A1D3DD1A-1581-4761-BAFD-7FF08A5312AB.png F337FC87-CB03-4E92-8F59-604578C2FF0E.jpeg

Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    The GO Series should be like the EVO series.

You can have one single channel CHIRP and a SideScan transducer.

I am not sure that you can use the 3-1 TotalScan transducer with additional CHIRP transducer

Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    The GO Series should be like the EVO series.

You can have one single channel CHIRP and a SideScan transducer.

I am not sure that you can use the 3-1 TotalScan transducer with additional CHIRP transducer

Just checked....looks like there is only one transducer connection.

Sorry if any confusion.

Upvote 0