Simrad auto pilot and nss12 evo3s

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat Name
2 Skipjack Sports Cruisers both under construction
I have a Simrad evo3s MFD and am installing the NAC2 auto pilot controller and associated drive motor. Because I am going to use the MFD as the autopilot controller I need to install a switch. I am unsure what kind of switch to install single pole or double pole. Has anyone done this?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
Its a SPST (single pole, single throw) momentary normally open switch. If you bought an autopilot kit, it comes with it. If not, you can buy it separately.

You can use any momentary push button switch you want, but the new stainless switch that Navico supplies is a nice switch. In the old kits it was a cheap plastic switch. This switch is longer so you can install it in locations where there are thicker walls. The switch is also waterproof.

The harness has two male spade connectors to plug into the female sockets on the power harness to the NAC2 computer. They are a little cheesy and not marine quality in my opinion. I would replace it with an Ancor heat shrink spade terminal or heat shrink over the entire connection. You can also replace it with a Deutsch connector if you prefer a waterproof connector.

SKU: 000-13703-001
1654035936182.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tbev and Windy Bay
Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat Name
Its a SPST (single pole, single throw) momentary normally open switch. If you bought an autopilot kit, it comes with it. If not, you can buy it separately.

You can use any momentary push button switch you want, but the new stainless switch that Navico supplies is a nice switch. In the old kits it was a cheap plastic switch. This switch is longer so you can install it in locations where there are thicker walls. The switch is also waterproof.

The harness has two male spade connectors to plug into the female sockets on the power harness to the NAC2 computer. They are a little cheesy and not marine quality in my opinion. I would replace it with an Ancor heat shrink spade terminal or heat shrink over the entire connection. You can also replace it with a Deutsch connector if you prefer a waterproof connector.

SKU: 000-13703-001
View attachment 1388576
ShadowX- thanks for the reply. I have a blank switch space for my contra switches located in my overhead. I wanted something that is obvious for my wife, who sometimes pilots the boat. I can order a new switch that is a momentary spst switch that will match the other switches that will say autopilot. Thank you again for answring

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
ShadowX- thanks for the reply. I have a blank switch space for my contra switches located in my overhead. I wanted something that is obvious for my wife, who sometimes pilots the boat. I can order a new switch that is a momentary spst switch that will match the other switches that will say autopilot. Thank you again for answring

No problem. That will work fine.

Just make sure its a momentary switch and not one that stays on in one position. It doesn't have to be a SPST switch. You can get a SPDT switch and not use the terminal that is normally closed.

Some of the Contura switches I see with "autopilot" face plates are normal switches that stay in one position instead of a momentary switch. Just be aware of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy Bay
Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have a Simrad evo3s MFD and am installing the NAC2 auto pilot controller and associated drive motor. Because I am going to use the MFD as the autopilot controller I need to install a switch. I am unsure what kind of switch to install single pole or double pole. Has anyone done this?
    If you're only installing a single mfd you may want to consider putting in an AP44 just in case your screen ever goes out you can still control your AP from the AP44.

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
    Elkton, OR
    Name
    Larry
    Boat Name
    If you're only installing a single mfd you may want to consider putting in an AP44 just in case your screen ever goes out you can still control your AP from the AP44.
    thanks I'll consider it. I'm going to try out the MFD for now

Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    I don’t have an ap44 or this switch with the basically same set up the op is installing and it works fine. The mfd has a standby possibly due to I have outboards?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I don’t have an ap44 or this switch with the basically same set up the op is installing and it works fine. The mfd has a standby possibly due to I have outboards?

All the switch does is turn on and off the autopilot when you press the button. You can turn the autopilot on and off from the MFD, but its quicker to push a button if you need to make a sudden change than to go through your MFD's menu to look for that function. Its just an optional feature that is very useful.

I haven't tried it, but I believe you can use the button to turn on and off the autopilot with the MFD turned off. Its wired directly to the NAC-1 or NAC-2 box so it does not rely on NMEA2000 commands. Once its on, it just keeps the boat in the current direction. I may try it next time we are in the water. Just turn off all the MFDs and use the button to see if works.

Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    All the switch does is turn on and off the autopilot when you press the button. You can turn the autopilot on and off from the MFD, but its quicker to push a button if you need to make a sudden change than to go through your MFD's menu to look for that function. Its just an optional feature that is very useful.

I haven't tried it, but I believe you can use the button to turn on and off the autopilot with the MFD turned off. Its wired directly to the NAC-1 or NAC-2 box so it does not rely on NMEA2000 commands. Once its on, it just keeps the boat in the current direction. I may try it next time we are in the water. Just turn off all the MFDs and use the button to see if works.
    I see, well I have the 16 inch screen it allows me to have the auto pilot screen up at all times and minimize if if needed so in two touches I’m on stand by

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I see, well I have the 16 inch screen it allows me to have the auto pilot screen up at all times and minimize if if needed so in two touches I’m on stand by

That's good. Most of us have smaller screens so it limits how much info we can show on the screen. The button is very useful and quick if you need to make adjustments to the course without a Steadysteer hydraulic switch. I use it all the time and it would drive me nuts if I need to turn it on and off with the screen control. I put the switch right next to the steering wheel so its easy to reach while I steer.

Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    That's good. Most of us have smaller screens so it limits how much info we can show on the screen. The button is very useful and quick if you need to make adjustments to the course without a Steadysteer hydraulic switch. I use it all the time and it would drive me nuts if I need to turn it on and off with the screen control. I put the switch right next to the steering wheel so its easy to reach while I steer.
    You can half see the tab open in pic one and it minimized in pic two. I’m sure this option is available in your settings

55247853-0C1B-4133-BAAD-B1833F45DE92.jpeg

7D0C1C68-9F56-4D3A-A0C1-DD0D75758CF0.jpeg

Upvote 0