Simple question

Weberied556

Aug 10, 2017
California, West Covina
Name
Peter
Boat
If it floats around fish, take my money
Pick whatever caliber/gun you’re comfortable with. As a fisherman you already possess a skill set to learn and adapt to new things. Each and every gun are different in their own ways. I’d recommend a semi-auto pistol or a simple pump/semi-auto shotgun.

Each gun has differences in ergonomics so pick a couple of guns up, grip em and see which you like best. Glock 19/17, berreta m9/ px4storm, sig sauer p2022 some really popular options in the 500$ range if you’re looking for a 9mm.

Mossberg 500/590, pump shotguns ranging from 300-500$ depending what you buy

Mossberg 930 semi-auto shotgun 600-800$. Just throwing some of the more popular names and brands out there for you to start.

Whatever you choose, practice practice practice. Good luck. I hope you never have to use it.

Reactions: mcrae
Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
The shotgun has always been my security blanket...

The problem with a handgun for me isn't so much myself but my wife.

I keep a handgun next to my bed as well as my daily carry. but the shotgun is what i go for first as well as what i have taught my wife to use.

My biggest fear is something happening when i am not home. We all take trips and leave our families from time to time.

If someone comes in the house at 0300 I know my family will be safe. Trying to aim at that time when you are scared shitless is not easy. A shotgun is like a Polaroid. Point, shoot, and see what you captured...

plus the fact that it is way less likely to travel through walls is a huge factor for me...

And we don't keep blanks or bird shot. Injured idiots can talk to lawyers...

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
I collect S&W N frames, 357mag, 41mag and 44s. I even have a SW 500 in 4 inch. I also like 1911 style 45s. Last year I picked up a SW 44 scandium frame. This gun is so light weight it has brutal recoil with 44 mag loads. I changed it to x frame grips and load with 44 specials. Now its a joy to shoot and my proficienty is much better. Although I have many guns that are more powerful i shoot this one the best so its my carry and nightstand gun. Big enough caliber that you can control is the key. Since you are starting from scratch there is no need to buy a 700-1k gun. Check out a charter arms 44 special bulldog revolver. I love semi autos but a revolver always fires and less to go wrong if nervous or in a hurry. Since you never point it at something you don't intend on destroying never load with blanks etc. If you pulled the trigger its because you had to.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
The shotgun has always been my security blanket...

The problem with a handgun for me isn't so much myself but my wife.

I keep a handgun next to my bed as well as my daily carry. but the shotgun is what i go for first as well as what i have taught my wife to use.

My biggest fear is something happening when i am not home. We all take trips and leave our families from time to time.

If someone comes in the house at 0300 I know my family will be safe. Trying to aim at that time when you are scared shitless is not easy. A shotgun is like a Polaroid. Point, shoot, and see what you captured...

plus the fact that it is way less likely to travel through walls is a huge factor for me...

And we don't keep blanks or bird shot. Injured idiots can talk to lawyers...

what rounds are you using??if your worried about penetrating walls im very interested to hear.
and as far as injured idiots.....its very common for a average person in a life or death situation to empty the gun. or at least a back up shot.

Upvote 0

kerncat

Apr 2, 2005
San Diego area
Name
Opos
Boat
Gone to a new keeper
"bed gun" is a GP100 loaded with 38+P Golden Sabers....be sure of one thing...if a wife or weaker person is going to possibly grab a handgun or shotgun..that they can handle it...I'd hate to have my Wife try and deal with a 44 mag or a 357 mag...she can just handle the +P in a full size 357 magnum size revolver...I prefer revolvers...if 6 shots are not enough I'm dead any way...the revolver doesn't jam or get picky about ammo at the wrong time...point, pull and bang every time.

We keep other weapons...we have a safe room location and it's got a 12 gauge.....if a bad guy gets to the safe room door and tries to enter...it will be a mess...a 12 gauge at 10 or 15 feet does immense damage...I choose #6 shot (lead) in a field size load 2 3/4 shell.....Probably won't get though the neighbors house where a slug will.

Reactions: blowncar
Upvote 0

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
First off, no blanks. A revolver will always fire. Autos over time will semi autos varnish up and possibly jam. Get a small gun safe easy to open close to where you sleep. I have a 357 with 38 special in the first shot for accuracy, all the rest are hot load killers. For the wife a 32 long she handles very well also in the safe just in case the bad guy gets past me......she knows to empty the gun as the bad guys never seem to die. The reason for no blacks IS IF YOU POINT IT AND SHOOT YOU MEAN TO KILL. NO EXCEPTIONS. Dead men tell no tales......also makes it harder for them to hire a lawyer.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
As far as what rounds I have loaded in the shotgun, there are some custom rounds available online as well as at certain ammo shops. I believe Ammo Bros carries a few types. The ones I have loaded are a mixture of 00 Buck and some other materials. they are specifically made for home defense.

the thin that has always stuck in my mind and lead me to the decision of a shotgun for home protection started when i was young. I lived in NE Washington and after school one day was out hunting grouse and squirrels. I shot at a squirrel that was on a snow bank from a plow on our driveway. the squirrel was dead but i could still see and pick pellets out of the snow bank. A few years later I had to shoot a Lion and all I had was #6's. she was close but she did not get up.

now 30 years later I am still convinced that the shotgun is my best choice. and Like I said, for my wife and kids it is much easier to operate at 0300 when you are scared to death. The biggest part of that is that my family hunts and shoots with shotguns a lot. They would all need a LOT more practice with a handgun.

As far as a handgun round going through walls, Im sure there are rounds that are safer than others. To do your own test I suggest putting a target made of a couple pieces of plywood and drywall at about 15 feet and another behind it a few feet. shoot it with a handgun and then a shotgun. you can form your own opinion from there.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
The injured idiots part was in reference to shooting someone with bird shot, In my mind if you shoot someone it should be with the intent to kill. in this State if they can talk after you shoot them you are likely to be sued...

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
The injured idiots part was in reference to shooting someone with bird shot, In my mind if you shoot someone it should be with the intent to kill. in this State if they can talk after you shoot them you are likely to be sued...

to each his own. i converted to birdshot strictly out of concern with penetrating walls. the longest shot in my home is about 23'. and im confident in my choice. confidence goes along way.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
:D:D:D

IMG_1111.PNG

Reactions: c-goat
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Lots of robberies in the neighborhood lately.
Thanks in advance, Mick

Sorry to nit pick, but robberies, or burglaries? To be a robbery, a victim has to be accosted. Either way, you need a gun. But if it is robberies, you should get the whole family armed and trained. For that matter, make sure to get yourself some training, to the point that it is second nature. In a high stress situation, you can't afford to make any mistake. You won't have time to think about chambering a round, disarming the safety, aiming at center of mass of a target that may be shooting back, or shooting at something that isn't a threat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Now that I have read the other comments, a few more thoughts:

1) Glad to see that most everyone recommends lots of training / practice.

2) I think the handgun / shotgun debate ends up being a personal preference. And you can't really go by what the "pro's " do, as they have a whole other level of training. Personally, my go to gun is a hand gun. Easy to store and I think I am as likely to hit my target with a handgun as a shotgun, especially when you factor in the maneuverability of a hand gun, as well as its lower profile. And my goal, if I have to shoot someone, is to immediately eliminate the threat. A shotgun that isn't on target won't necessarily do that, and lots of people think shotguns eliminate the need to be on target. As for the use of birdshot, personally I only shoot birds (and the occasional rabbit) with that.

3) Join the NRA. Become a life member if you can afford it.

Reactions: blowncar
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
you guys know theres a whole bunch of bird shot sizes right? ranging in pellet size from .230" to .069" diameter. oh well im happy with my choice.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
.40 smith and wesson will get you to the shotgun with 4 buck. 4 buck connected to the AR and as big a mag as you can stuff in it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Upvote 0

WhoFish

Who?
Apr 16, 2003
Santee, CA
Name
Mark
Boat
No more boat...
...And my goal, if I have to shoot someone, is to immediately eliminate the threat..

Yes.

Everyone might want to re-think their comments on a public forum about 'shoot to kill' -- some lawyer would probably have a field day with comments like that if you ever did have to defend yourself with a firearm.

The 'reasonable' response is that you shoot to stop the threat. Period.

Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but I have had quite a bit of firearms training including self-defense scenarios.

YMMV

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Yes.

Everyone might want to re-think their comments on a public forum about 'shoot to kill' -- some lawyer would probably have a field day with comments like that if you ever did have to defend yourself with a firearm.

The 'reasonable' response is that you shoot to stop the threat. Period.

Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but I have had quite a bit of firearms training including self-defense scenarios.

YMMV
You raise a really important point (or several), that I was not consciously aware of when I wrote my post that you quoted. But the reality is, I consider myself blessed to have never had to deal with any threat that could necessitate the use of lethal force. But if I ever do, my goal will not be to kill anyone, but instead to eliminate the threat they pose. The reality is, if I have to fire my gun in that context, there is a high probability that someone will die. If I kill someone, it will be out of necessity, not desire. I will pray for their soul, but at the same time will thank God for giving me the means to defend myself and my family.

Upvote 0

Paparockcal

Old Dude
May 22, 2016
Whites Canyon Rd., Canyon Country
Name
Rocky Latham
Boat
N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
The one you will take to range and practice with and learn to shoot accurately! The one by my bed as a S&W SS 9" 10 shot .22LR loaded with Stingers, Nice and quiet on the ears (I can and have put three rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger in a Mohave Rattler's head) backed up with a Ruger 7.5" .44. magnum loaded with 200 grain Silver Tips. Just in case it is need for clean up (I keep ear plugs by my bed as you don't want to hear a .44 Mag go off inside a closed space; LOAD!) Anyone with any common since should have left by now.

Years ago down in Houston, Tx while I was still married to my ex-wife who was a Galveston, Tx Deputy Sheriff. Two men tried to rob me one night as I came home. That was before Texas allowed CCW so I carried the smallest legal shotgun allowed under the law and all the local law enforcement and deputies knew me. Two men approached me and said give us your wallet or we will kill you. I carried my shotgun with an empty chamber It was midnight and a very dark night as I turned on them I racked a round into the chamber of the 12 gauge which froze the two would be robbers less than ten feet away as I level the shotgun. The smallest one let out an expletive to the effect I had a shotgun as both spread their fingers and hands wide to side showing me empty hands as they turned and ran. They jumped into their car and pealed rubber as they fled the apartment complex. In Texas at that time there was the "after dark law" that made it legal to use up to deadly force to stop a crime and they had threatened to kill me in the commision of a robbery but I'm not that kind of guy. They did what I wanted so I let them go. I am very glad neither one reached for anything because if he had a load of 00 Buckshot would have been his reward.

I'm not cold blooded but I have seen more than my share of people die and I did not want to see any more. That saved him, his friend, and me a lot of grief that night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I am a fan of simple so for me a glock with night sights and loaded with rounds that will not overpenetrate is my solution. 9mm, .40, .45 really doesn’t matter as long as you can put rounds on target and the ammo is appropriate for the job.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
DP-12 with 12 or 16 pellet #1 buckshot fitted with a laser and red dot. Optimal for decreased collateral damage but will blow the bad guy wide open. Or his head clean off. Whichever tickles your fancy.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Only thing I can add is no matter what platform you choose, how much you practice and how well you maintain it, it can fail. Even a revolver has moving parts. Jerry Miculek had a firing pin break on him on the first round of a major match. So don't stake your life on any one solution. Be ready with plan B, C, D .......

What you can also do is dissuade the bad guys from coming to your house in the first place. Good lighting, motion detection lights, dog or other grumpy pet.

Best wishes to all for a Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Look inside yourself while looking for guns, Mick.
The gun - any gun - is easily capable of killing someone.

The not so simple question I have for you is: Are you capable?
Have you lead the kind of life where you could do that?[/QUO
Look inside yourself while looking for guns, Mick.
The gun - any gun - is easily capable of killing someone.

The not so simple question I have for you is: Are you capable?
Have you lead the kind of life where you could do that?
:indabutt:LOL

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I keep a pillow under my glock 19....you heard right.

Upvote 0

Mar 12, 2014
San Diego
Name
Blake
Boat
25' Skipjack FB
Great advice so far. To add:
Increase deterrence. Most burglaries happen when the residents are not home. Security cameras, lighting, thorny bushes, dog(s). These will also help your case if there is a shooting.

If you decide to purchase a handgun:

Personal preference is a 1911 in 45acp. Issued as the U.S military side sidearm for almost 100 years. In general, the larger the caliber > bigger the hole> faster blood drains> quicker the bad guy is dead.

Practice. Not just paper punching in a set position. Look for a steel match or USPSA competition at your local outdoor range. These Types of matches have multiple stations where you work on shooting from various positions, strong hand / weak hand, reloading while moving, site reacquisition in a timed environment.

Know the laws:
What constitutes self defense?
What happens after a shooting?
Can you be both legally justified and civilly liable? YES

To Wils's point:
The one question a local SD Sheriff deputy asked me a long time ago. "Are you prepared to stare someone in the eye and turn their head into taco meat?" If not, don't pickup a gun.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0