Silvers

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Odin7, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    ...are in MA9 silvers.jpg

Khuong, Swede, Titan and 2 others like this.
  2. wood2turn

wood2turn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
    With a CastMaster?
    That's Awesome man!
    Mind if I ask...did you get them from the beach??

Odin7 likes this.
  3. T2shortB

T2shortB Nice fanny pack Fag!!!

Name:
    Todd Brown
    Boat:
    Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
    good job George

Odin7 likes this.
  4. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Yes.

That CastMaster with bling was the ticket. It was pretty windy today and they cast like a bullet. The hook is a Gamakatsu barbless octopus connected with a Duolock snap which gives it a lot of freedom to offer side to side action when reeled in slowly. Plus, that hook with it's almost circle shape when cast into the floating debris comes through cleanly most of the time. Something I got really frustrated with last year while fishing from the beach with conventional hooks. When it did snag salad, it's factory smooth barbless wire made getting it off easier. I started using them on a lot of my gear a couple of years ago and have been impressed with their hooking and holding ability.

Both fish had big herring in them. The larger of the two had three the size of the handle on my fillet knife.

I've fished cut plug there and although effective, is expensive and can be a pain. This rig was more effective than anything else I saw on the beach today to include herring. After last year, I gave a lot of thought to a better alternative and came up with this.

I didn't see a whole lot of other catching of silvers going on. Most people are still fishing for pinks and today, their success was...not so much.

Silvers? One guy with cut plug caught two, one guy with a light colored buzz bomb caught one and a guy from Minnesota fishing for salmon for his first time with a Clouser on a Sage fly rod caught a real nice one. That whole fly fishing process looked like a lot of work, but he seemed to be in some magical place working with the rhythm of his casting despite the strong winds, pushing his line out as far as I did with my steel. Even if he hadn't landed a quality fish, he went somewhere through the process that would have been good enough. He took a few pictures, unhooked it and let it go, fished for a couple of more hours and headed out to catch his plane back to Minneapolis.

I spent the day there, studied what was going on, geared up and caught my fish in thirty minutes.

Only aware of two pinks caught. A couple of very cute young women were leaving the beach with one pink when I got there. It was obvious they knew how to fish and were definitely FISHING CHICKS material. (First Ranger School and now they are outfishing us!? WTF?!) The only other pink I know of came from a guy I suggested he add a stinger to his Buzz Bomb and when he did, caught it on the trailer.

Much to my wife's disdain, I have been eating dinner while typing, which is something we both abhor. A little season salt, dried dill, garlic salt and cooking over alder that I cut from my land... Five hours ago, my dinner was swimming. Caught, bled, iced, filleted and cooked.

People say they don't like to eat fish. It is because they haven't eaten fish that was properly cared for and cooked with respect.

5. Khuong

Khuong Newbie

Name:
    Khuong Hoang
    Boat:
    Nausicaa 16ft skiff
    Impressive !

Odin7 likes this.
  6. GregE

GregE Seeking Kodak Moments

Name:
    Greg Eastman
    Boat:
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    Very thorough report !!!

Odin7 likes this.
  7. hunterb

hunterb Fish Killer

Name:
    Hunter Burrows
    Boat:
    22' Grady The Fishy Hooker
    Great job. Thanks for the report.

Odin7 likes this.
  8. wood2turn

wood2turn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
    That's a great story!
    I understand your frustration level with the hook/salad thign...I can't tell you how many times this year that I have let it cut my day short and I just called it and went home fishless.
    I'll look for some of those hooks at Ace Hardware today!

Btw...pm coming your way

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Odin7 likes this.
  9. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Well done!

Odin7 likes this.
  10. North River

North River Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth O/S
    Thanks for the report. This is about the time of year I start finding silvers pretty consistently in A9.

This reaffirms my plans for the weekend.

Odin7 likes this.
  11. eldplanko

eldplanko got the skunk off

Name:
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat:
    Floater
    I've been into silvers also last two times out (off the boat not the beach). Both times one bigger and one smaller. Honestly, I don't target either silver or pink, I just troll like I usually do (green or purple flasher, spoon, hootchie or plug), and seem to catch both. Pinks will take whatever.

dgfitchett and Odin7 like this.
  12. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Very nice...last year they predicted the biggest coho run in decades....it sure did fizzle down in the South MA's. Funny how you emphasized a slow retrieve on your casts, and the conventional wisdom (at least trolling) says go fast. Also, just curious, how do you cast cut plug herring from the beach??? I would think it would beat up the herring and may tangle on the casts (but I don't know shit about shore fishing).

Thanks for the tip about the size of the hatch they are targeting (at least in MA9).

Again....great job, way to go....be safe all...Swanny

Odin7 likes this.
  13. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Erik, two hooks in the bait same as mooching, shorter leader (about three feet), barrel swivel, egg sinker, gentle toss and a slow retrieve. It works but you can go through a lot of bait.

This set up has also worked. Open it, put a herring fillet inside. Still messing with bait though.

Herring.jpg

14. North River

North River Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth O/S
    A lot of guys fish live herring under a float. Especially off the beach at possession

Grady226 and Odin7 like this.
  15. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Back at it today with another limit of silvers.

Parasalmon_08_20_2015.jpg

Did not see ONE pink caught. That's O.K. Going to have to pay THE MAN to get another card anyway. My CastMaster and herring were the top producers. Fish are still on the munch with mine and those belonging to other anglers I talked to full of large herring.

16. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    That top one hit my spoon in less than 12" of water.

Don't take your gear out of the water until you are back in the driveway.

BugeaterInWa likes this.
  17. eldplanko

eldplanko got the skunk off

Name:
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat:
    Floater
    This is similar to the old trick for coho for those one the troll when checking gear: pop off the rigger, but dont retreave until your gear gets to the top of the water... you can get plenty of hits on the way up.

BugeaterInWa and Odin7 like this.
  18. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    The larger one grabbed it after a long cast when it was only a couple of feet from the end of my rod tip in about twelve inches of water.

She couldn't see me because I was wearing camouflage waders!