Almost A Member
Oct 14, 2005
escondido, ca
Name
Drew Ann
Boat
Grady White Adventure 208
OK Gang,
I have an upcoming Family vacay on Siesta Key next week 5/15-5/21 and I want to wet a line. Will bring a 2 piece bass rod and some plastics. Looking for suggestions on public locations and potential quarry species and best artificial baits to bring. Wish I could bring my entire tackle box!
TIA!
Tight lines,
Jeff in San Diego

Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Hey Jeff

Im up in tampa so not far off. 5" zman swimbaits work great, regular plastics get torn up really quick. You will want a 20-30lb leader line, i regularly break off on 20lb with avg size snook. Any chrome spook will work great over the grass flats for trout (15-20lb leader for them). Bring some water shower and walk out on the grass flats and fish the topwater early and you should hookup.

Reactions: jeffkaiser
jeffkaiser
jeffkaiser
John,
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. We booked a four hour inshore with the inlaws but I will be solo the rest of the time.
When did you transplant?
Best,
Jeff
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I haven’t been there in a few years, but I used to do really well at the jetty north of sharkies pier in Venice. Plastics work for snook, live shrimp for snapper/snook and gotcha plugs work really well for Mack’s, lady fish and jacks if you’re just trying to get a tug. Idk when the pompano season is there but some pompano jigs could net you some whiting and pompano.

Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
    Nov 24, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    john mcquade
    Boat
    Paddle Board
    Hey Jeff

Im up in tampa so not far off. 5" zman swimbaits work great, regular plastics get torn up really quick. You will want a 20-30lb leader line, i regularly break off on 20lb with avg size snook. Any chrome spook will work great over the grass flats for trout (15-20lb leader for them). Bring some water shower and walk out on the grass flats and fish the topwater early and you should hookup.
    Hey Jeff

I came down here 1st week of march, bought a place in st pete, but ill be headed back to San Diego in Sept.

Upvote 0

Bubbaluch

Feb 21, 2021
    Longboat Key
    Name
    Ter
    Boat
    OldGlory
    Im from the area. Siesta key has a nice spot in the surf referred to as point of rocks. You access it from crescent beach access point. Right by stickney point bridge. Use what was said above and you should find success.

jeffkaiser
    jeffkaiser
    Thanks! Look like a nice rock pile about 150 yds or so out. Is it shallow enough wade it?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0