Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Hi ALL,
Anyone can help me what model is this SIC guide?
The one on the left is Fuji MNST and what about the one on the right? Anyone can tell which Fuji model is that?

Thank you
B840DA66-D84C-4C33-B0F4-5AAB878A0D15.jpeg
37073275-AA0D-4887-8FF5-39D7299EDF34.jpeg

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
are you sure it's a fuji? just saw these and thought maybe...

1600976180126.png

these are readily available in case you opt to go with this as a "Close Enough Facsimile".

otherwise the fuji URL is:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtnfshr

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
are you sure it's a fuji? just saw these and thought maybe...

View attachment 1203891
these are readily available in case you opt to go with this as a "Close Enough Facsimile".

otherwise the fuji URL is:
that’s what I was told at the local store. He said is Fuji Size 8- 9 (whatever that means:oops:)

are thesegood enough for up to 30lbs tuna?

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
that’s what I was told at the local store. He said is Fuji Size 8- 9 (whatever that means:oops:)

are these good enough for up to 30lbs tuna?
yessir.
size 9 means the tube size is 9/64ths. tips are identified by their tube in 64ths...

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Actually how do you guys tell if certain model is good till “what poundage”? Or is it as long as its SIC, it’s good for anything, and titanium SIC is just lighter weight.
Sorry rookie question :-)

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
no bad questions... not to ask is bad!

the manufacture builds the parts and will state the recommended application most of the time. your local shop should know as well...

Batson Industries (Alps/Forecast) catalogue has quite the write up explaining everything from blank mat'l to tip mat'l and the how and why's of it all. quite informative.

see:
http://batsonenterprises.com/online-catalog/

next is the mat'l. the ring "hardness" varies in what type. again, it's your call. you'll have to read up on ring mat'l hardness.

finally there's the frame mat'l. Titanium is lighter/stronger/rust resilient and more expensive.

Reactions: Explorer1

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None

are these good enough for up to 30lbs tuna?

yessir.
just Curious, if using a guide that’s not rated that high and catch a bigger tuna than expected....what’s the worst people Experienced ? I know SiC don’t melt easy

- The ring popped?

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
never experienced it so i can't say...
prolly ring pops out, bending and flexing or
Ka Smash! self destruct...

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
Ok the reason I need to know the model is because I couldn’t find MNST around me thanks to COVID-19, no one got stock. Only manage to find this

so MC, BP or old PST, any good for using squid as bait for “up to 30lbs Tuna” ?
You could try the HG tip. I used 'em on a similar application earlier this year and have been happy with 'em.

JTrelikes

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2006
Lakeside, CA
Name
Jim Trelikes
Boat
Bubba Jean 28

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
I'll make you a wager that the top in his photos is a Fuji PST
The one in the left is 2 ring size bigger than I like but it’s heavier duty. BUT if the smaller one is PST like you said than after google....I better off not touching it. Google read up say for Salmon & Carp.

JTrelikes

Oct 3, 2006
Lakeside, CA
Name
Jim Trelikes
Boat
Bubba Jean 28
SIC flanged ring tops would shatter fairly easily with a good slap on a hard surface....or chip. The chipped ones were less noticeable until you hooked a fish.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
the ring would shatter being so exposed, vs a "recessed ring" type tip.
actually they don't shatter, they get a hidden hairline crap that'll turn your mono into wool when the fish rips yardage off.... and THAT'll be the only time you'll notice that hairline damage.

whack it hard 'nuff, then KaPow!

JTrelikes

Oct 3, 2006
Lakeside, CA
Name
Jim Trelikes
Boat
Bubba Jean 28
the ring would shatter being so exposed, vs a "recessed ring" type tip.
actually they don't shatter, they get a hidden hairline crap that'll turn your mono into wool when the fish rips yardage off.... and THAT'll be the only time you'll notice that hairline damage.

whack it hard 'nuff, then KaPow!

I've been doing repair work since before Fuji introduced silicone carbide ring guides. I'm 57 years old, and grew up working in my fathers tackle shop that was founded in 1955. If you've never seen one shatter, then you have seen nearly as much. The old flanged versions cracked, chipped, and yes.......shattered. This is exactly why they came up with the "concept" design to protect the rings better so they weren't so exposed to impacts.