Shurflo Bait Sentry 800GPH Bait Pump

Squidwerd

Sep 1, 2009
Dana Point, CA
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Sold it
I have had issues with 4 different Shurflo 800 pumps on 2 boats in the past 12 months.

First issue was with a pump that started whining and humming super loud, it was working, it was just obnoxious.

I was not sure how old the pump was because it came with the boat so I decided to do a major Overhaul and replaced all the bait hoses including the entire pump assembly, not just the cartridge.

I did not bother to test the functionality of the brand new pump and completely installed and wired it up to beyond ABYC standards Only to find out it was a fail on start, right out of the box.

Took the unit back to West Marine got my replacement ......complained bitterly about the three hours it took me to install A pump that did not work straight out of the box And got a new one.

The new pump worked flawlessly and was very very quiet until about maybe 10 hours of usage it started to get 2 to 3 times louder not as loud as the one that I took out but noticeably annoyingly loud.

Again the pump was working fine it was just ridiculously loud . I ended up selling that boat and bought a Parker with the exact same pump.

I am not sure how old the pump is in my parker but I have been fishing on the boat regularly for a year and just over the past month the pump started to get really loud and Annoying.

so I went ahead and replaced it this weekend and once again the new unit worked great for about four hours and then all of a sudden, while sitting on the anchor , it got incredibly loud almost the same decibels as the one i took out. I shut it off to see if maybe it was Kelp that got sucked in, But after turning it back on the sound was the same.

so i called Shurflo customer service and asked them if they are having a product issue or if possibly there was something wrong with the way that I was setting the pump or what the heck could possibly be going on here???and they said that they didn’t have any idea .

I guess my next move is to remove the pump motor assembly off the new one and see if maybe there is something inside the canister that got sucked up.... but I am not expecting to see anything on my other boat I actually had a sea strainer and still have the problem but I was just wondering, has anybody else on here experienced these issues with the shurflo 800 pump?

Upvote 0

triton91

Almost A Member
Jul 11, 2006
Kaaawa
Name
John
Boat Name
23' Outrage
Had a couple of those get very loud and then die on me, glad had second pump to other bait tank so just tee's off of that one. got replacement same thing happened. I opened it up and it appeared that water would get pushed past the o-ring and burn out the motor and bearing. I believe this was happening when running and the water pressure was enough to push past the o-ring. I went with sherflow pirana pumps and they worked much better.

Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat Name
Yep
Mine gave up last year after 13 years. I replaced it and last time I took it out on a three day trip, it started getting really noisy. But the next day it quieted down considerably. I might just buy a piranha for a back up. To bad though. I really like the magnetic drive.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    While lots of people like them my experience was the same as yours. Pump would work but get louder and louder until I could not stand it. I replaced 2 pumps 3 times in less than 2 years. According to what a tech at Shurflo told me at the time that the bushings had a life of around 2000 hours. They would get quite noisy way before that 2000 hours. Mine were a little bit of a PITA to replace so after the third set did the same as the rest I was done with them.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat Name
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    I always back wash my bait pump with fresh water after every trip. My boat is on a trailer and I just fill the tank 1/3 of the way up when I rinse it out and let gravity do the work. Never had a problem with them in 4 years and 2 different boats.

Upvote 0

MarMax

Almost A Member
    Dec 19, 2010
    So Cal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Parker 2530
    I used the Bait Sentry 800 for almost 9 years and three different pumps and eventually had the same noisy pump issue. The pump worked fine, was just a bit annoying because of the sound. I've switched to the Rule 800 and been running them since about 2009. If I get 2-3 years out of them I'm happy.

Because the Bait Sentry and the Rule are not anywhere near as durable or powerful as the Jabsco's, you should consider adding a raw water strainer. I've never had any issue with the Rule pumps since adding a strainer. The nice thing about the Bait Sentry and Rule is they only pull about 3 to 3.5 amps.

Reactions: Ryan_J
    Upvote 0