Rick U

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
I’ve started dabbling in rod building again after many years. I do purchase some components online, but I’m a big believer in supporting my local shops. Today I needed some 35mm diameter shrink tube and went to my local tackle shop. They had what I needed but quoted me $1.00 per inch. So knowing that I’ve paid about $12.00 for 40’ online, I passed on buying from my local shop. I’m wondering if the $1.00 per inch stuff could possibly be that much better or if the shop is just way off with pricing. I’m willing to spend more to support local but not if it’s a ridiculous markup . Is there a brand you guys use and how much are you paying?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
A dollar an inch ? wow.I'd pass also and tell them why.Once in awhile i buy it online.I think i get 36" or more for about 9 bucks shipped.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Yah I did let the guy know but I doubt they care. So much for loyalty.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
At Acidrod you can 64" of the 35mm for $28. I have seen some shops charge 50 cents per inch, never seen a dollar an inch.

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I think I know where you went. Did you try Squidco? Sometimes M&M has some for sale.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Ive seen it all iver the place at shops. Some sell it for 50c an in, some 80c, and some 1$ an in. I get all of my heat shrink online for that reason. I buy 35mm, 64in for anywhere from 8$ to 15$ shipped to my house. Depends on how quickly i need it.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Thanks guy’s loyalty got taken advantage of. I know they are not a discount store. I wish them luck marking things up like that. I’ll spend my money elsewhere.

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
There's different quality heat shrink. Ordered one from an online vendor and it ended up being thin and felt like plastic.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
If I were in the business I’d offer both the less expensive and the alternative. Same w cork tape.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I got some at the last long beach swap meet in february...$5 per 64" piece from some guy clearing out a bunch..wrong diameter though..25mm and 40 or 42mm but hey...$5

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
It’s just an easily replaceable wrap. Even if the cheaper stuff last a few years and it will probably last more than that. I could do cork rings for less than that.

bentcalstar

Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
What tackle shop Rick? Might as well post it.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Fishermans Hardware Huntington Beach. It’s a good store but man that just comes off as a f u to their customers

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Fishermans Hardware Huntington Beach. It’s a good store but man that just comes off as a f u to their customers
I though That store was always too expensive to begin with. Was there a while back, and some of the blanks were about 20$ more than other places.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I have bought mine on ebay, and it seems like the same stuff you buy in retail stores but just a lot cheaper in price.. I have not bought any in a while though.. also I and use US retailers on ebay.. get it quick and the price is good..
I've also purchased it from Squidco.. their prices are always fair, and good people to deal with...

Reactions: tgorman

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Two of the guys i by from on Ebay are in the L.A. area.Good prices and i bet you would have it in a day or two.

Reactions: gecsr1

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Thanks do you happen to have a link to the LA sellers on eBay?
$ .3 vs $1.00 per inch. That’s a 33,233.3333 % increase over retail

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Thanks do you happen to have a link to the LA sellers on eBay?
$ .3 vs $1.00 per inch. That’s a 33,233.3333 % increase over retail
I'm not very good at this computer stuff or i would.Go to Ebay and search in sporting goods,X wrap shrink tube.That should give you a bunch of options.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
Loma Dorada. Tijuana Mexico
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
Imagine paying rent on a RETAIL shop and the cost to inventory the place.
Can't fault a guy for trying to make a living . My uncle had a business right near Shelter Island and I worked from him one summer. He said.. "You cant make exorbitant profit without exorbitant prices! :-)" the internet is killing the malls and small business

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Can't fault a guy for trying to make a living . My uncle had a business right near Shelter Island and I worked from him one summer. He said.. "You cant make exorbitant profit without exorbitant prices! :-)" the internet is killing the malls and small business
I agree and that's why i usually get it at Squidco.Unfortunately their sizing is limited.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Exorbitant profit is my problem. Thirty three thousand percent more expensive than other retailers. Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay. I’m willing to pay more to support my local stores but that’s just too much. Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Reactions: tgorman