Shout out to Jamie at Bob Sands

Hntnhrd

Jul 5, 2016
Corvallis Montana
Name
Tony
Boat
Sold
I have to take the time to acknowledge him here for outstanding customer service. He has taken the time to answer any and all questions I might have about fishing out of San Diego. All with enthusiasm! I let him know I finally had booked a short trip just to get the hang of getting to the boats , seeing how things work in the area ( 1.5 day colonet trip) . He spent alot of time answering pms and talking to me on the phone. I followed some advice from people here on the boards and his and placed a pretty good order for jigs with him. While we were talking about that I mentioned I had pre ordered 2 makaira reels in June from another shop and still hadn’t seen them. Though he couldn’t get me black he put two silver reels on hold at his shop till I could work out a solution with the other shop. Well the other shop had my makaira 20 and would ship it out but still had no idea where a 15t might be. I had them cancel the 15t and called Jamie back and asked him to spool a 15t and send it with the jigs. He then took the time to give me options and great advice on what braid to have him put on it. I am a complete novice to this type of fishing but he gave me the pros and cons of each so that I understood the decision to make( still probably wrong though!!) .
My trip was 2 weeks away at this point.
I am now 1 week away and today a box showed up here in Montana just as promised. I never asked the price on any of the jigs or the reel. I was just impressed with the customer service he offers and went with it. Well the pricing was just as good as the service!!!

I know you all have numerous shops you can turn to in Southern California, but I can’t say enough good things about their shop. I work in an industry that is very customer service driven. I can’t imagine being in better hands!!
Jamie , Thank you again!!!

odnealtim

Jun 21, 2008
pahrump nv
Name
tim
Boat
19 searay
I have to take the time to acknowledge him here for outstanding customer service. He has taken the time to answer any and all questions I might have about fishing out of San Diego. All with enthusiasm! I let him know I finally had booked a short trip just to get the hang of getting to the boats , seeing how things work in the area ( 1.5 day colonet trip) . He spent alot of time answering pms and talking to me on the phone. I followed some advice from people here on the boards and his and placed a pretty good order for jigs with him. While we were talking about that I mentioned I had pre ordered 2 makaira reels in June from another shop and still hadn’t seen them. Though he couldn’t get me black he put two silver reels on hold at his shop till I could work out a solution with the other shop. Well the other shop had my makaira 20 and would ship it out but still had no idea where a 15t might be. I had them cancel the 15t and called Jamie back and asked him to spool a 15t and send it with the jigs. He then took the time to give me options and great advice on what braid to have him put on it. I am a complete novice to this type of fishing but he gave me the pros and cons of each so that I understood the decision to make( still probably wrong though!!) .
My trip was 2 weeks away at this point.
I am now 1 week away and today a box showed up here in Montana just as promised. I never asked the price on any of the jigs or the reel. I was just impressed with the customer service he offers and went with it. Well the pricing was just as good as the service!!!

I know you all have numerous shops you can turn to in Southern California, but I can’t say enough good things about their shop. I work in an industry that is very customer service driven. I can’t imagine being in better hands!!
Jamie , Thank you again!!!
Wow,,,,all I can say is this man is truly an exceptional person,,,didnt know me from adam and did the same for me took time out of his day to explain to me alot of new techniques to help me in my quest for the big one...hats off to jaimie

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Jamie is a wealth of knowledge and willing to share it! Good luck on your trip.

Just know that a 1.5 day is barely scratching the surface of San Diego Long Range Fishing. Book a fall 7-10 day as soon as you can!

Heatmaster75

Jul 20, 2019
Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
Good luck on your trip! Good info regarding the help you received, thanks for the report. As a fellow Montanan looking into the LR trips and a fellow noob I am jealous for sure. I can't put a trip together until 2021! Get Some!!!

Reactions: Hntnhrd

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
Well the Book of Leviticus and Deuteronomy
The law of the jungle
and the sea
Are your only teachers.

500BBC

Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
I've been shopping at Bob Sand's since before Sal bought it and brought it to it's current legendary status. You cannot go wrong dealing with them.

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Yep Jamie is The Best! Love this guy, hope he comes up and fishes with us this summer in Oregon! Jamie set me up with great pricing on multiple UC Rods and a Mak 16 /SEa, love them all.

Hntnhrd

Jul 5, 2016
Corvallis Montana
Name
Tony
Boat
Sold
Fishrock, I will have deposit money with me and will most likely leave it with a boat for the next trip!!8-)
Jamie is a wealth of knowledge and willing to share it! Good luck on your trip.

Just know that a 1.5 day is barely scratching the surface of San Diego Long Range Fishing. Book a fall 7-10 day as soon as you can!

Reactions: FishRock

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Tony, I really admire you enthusiasm! To come down from Montana for a short trip tells me a lot. Pretty sure you’ll be getting started with us and before you know it, longer and longer trips will be on the calendar. I like it!

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I too enjoy talking to Jamie. If you have questions about L.R. fishing ask him. He will respond, quickly, and accurately. Good dood right there. I don't know how we've never fished together, I sure look forward to that some day.

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
Now this is the law of the jungle
As old and as true as the sky
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper
But the wolf that shall break it must die

(Rudyard Kipling The Law Of The Jungle)
DB6EEAC4-0F97-439F-B4DD-034CA8084EF7.jpeg

Last edited:

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Agree with all above, and they take excellent care of their customers, been their a few times, only reason i don't go more often is that they are in the san Fernando valley and i am in san pedro. Have to run the gauntlet of the 405 by LAX and the west LA crunch! Jamie has been very gracious with his time, and very fair with the prices, and Sal is very cool too.

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
Beware getting a soft fill if you don’t buy your reels from Sal.

Hogans tackle in Dana Point gets it done right the1st time.

When ye fight with the wolf of the pac ye must fight him alone and afar, Lest others take part in the quarrel and the pact is diminished by war.

Last edited:

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
Look what I found A missing closed thread.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Looks like some good eats there!

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
I have only fished with Jamie one time, about ten years ago. He is a wealth of knowledge, freely gives you his time and tutorial, and honestly a real gentleman with a great deal of patience.

I visited Bob Sands for the very first time on Saturday. While the shop was a bit different than I had visualized, it certainly is crammed with everything imaginable to fill your fishing needs. I also found everyone there to be quite friendly and helpful. Jamie also happened to be there and took some time to demo some fighting techniques when using a spinning popper set up.

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Forgot to mention that when i was there on a saturday morning and jamie was educating me, it was getting near lunch time and the employees asked me to join them, and treated me to a great taco lunch! Talk about hospitality, anyhow and needless too say I was sold and will always a customer, left there with a few rods and a little knowledge and a full stomach. Not to mention a real fair deal on them (rods).

Ja7935

Ballerz
May 14, 2012
Carlsbad
Name
JimA
Boat
nope
Agree 100% spent some quality time with Jaime a few weeks ago and left with a couple new UC rods. Amazing rod and Jig selection and the guys keep it light and fun. Thanks Jaime!