Should You Still Tip if They Gaff in the Back?

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Too bad that particular media stunt-story didn't tell us HOW the gaff wound up in poor little Snuffy.

Channel 6 editor, "We better leave out the part about the gaff being lodged in the rocks prior to Snuffy swimming up and impaling himself on it."

On the other hand...this story would be a proud moment for Tokyo Rose and Bagdad Bob.

Last edited:
Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Too bad that particular media stunt-story didn't tell us HOW the gaff wound up in poor little Snuffy.

Channel 6 editor, "We better leave out the part about the gaff being lodged in the rocks prior to Snuffy swimming up and impaling himself on it."

On the other hand...this story would be a proud moment for Tokyo Rose and Bagdad Bob.

I didn't see the other thread on this until after I posted it.

Upvote 0

Bubba

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, I've done my share of killing with a rod and a gun but sticking a gaff in any animal and letting them die a long, painful death is wrong. If you're going to do illegal shit then go ahead and put a bullet in it's head and get it out of it's misery. I've lost just as many nice fish as the rest of us to seals but the one thing many of us forget is that we're going into their living room, they're not coming into ours. Flame away fags.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I don't think you are going to get many objections to your post, Bubba. The vast majority of fishermen (and hunters) are solid, decent human beings who have a great respect for and connection with all of the wild things we interact with. But there are some sick perverts in the world, and sometimes they deliberately cause harm to other living things. The neighborhood kid who tortures animals too often goes on to obscene acts against children and women. In your occupation you see that too often. When I wore a badge we had situations where pelican's pouches were slashed and seagulls were used for target practice. I've looked into flat, soulless eyes and thought "Oh, boy. Here's one to keep an eye on."

By the way, your brothers back East did a good job finding that killer!

Reactions: freegaff2
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    I dunno. It could happen. I was gaffing, or trying to gaff a YF at the same time a hammer was trying to steal it. I wound up pinning the fish to the hammer for a bit until the hammer about ripped the gaff out of my hand. Ended up with neither.

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
    Pismo Beach
    Name
    Bubba
    Boat
    18' Trophy
    I don't think you are going to get many objections to your post, Bubba. The vast majority of fishermen (and hunters) are solid, decent human beings who have a great respect for and connection with all of the wild things we interact with. But there are some sick perverts in the world, and sometimes they deliberately cause harm to other living things. The neighborhood kid who tortures animals too often goes on to obscene acts against children and women. In your occupation you see that too often. When I wore a badge we had situations where pelican's pouches were slashed and seagulls were used for target practice. I've looked into flat, soulless eyes and thought "Oh, boy. Here's one to keep an eye on."

By the way, your brothers back East did a good job finding that killer!

I appreciate your insight to what I said but I'm not a U. S. Marshall, that's posted in jest from everybody here that knows me, I'm just a lowly general contractor, 90% of my buddys are LEO and we laugh. I agree 100% with what you said though. We still have that small percentage of "sportsman" out there that think it's cool to be tough or cute to stick a seal and get away with it. Been fishing and hunting for over 40 yrs and seen bad stuff like the rest of us, to promote it just shows more ignorance.

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
    Pismo Beach
    Name
    Bubba
    Boat
    18' Trophy
    I dunno. It could happen. I was gaffing, or trying to gaff a YF at the same time a hammer was trying to steal it. I wound up pinning the fish to the hammer for a bit until the hammer about ripped the gaff out of my hand. Ended up with neither.

Possibly, it happens but that's not the reason this post was put up. I was gaffing a halibut off of Rosa and a knothead grabbed the tail boat side, he ended up with a gaff in him unintentionally for about 30 seconds and I ended up with a broken knuckle getting pinned between the handle and the gunnel but I still kept my gaff.

Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

Feb 9, 2012
    san diego/kali/us
    Name
    randy
    Boat
    ocean therapist
    so how long of a gaff do you keep on your boat? i have a small boat and im low to the water so a 3' gaff would be fine but i keep a 6' stick in case i need to get a long shot in the kelp or something. i dont see many private boaters using a 10' bamboo gaff.

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    so how long of a gaff do you keep on your boat? i have a small boat and im low to the water so a 3' gaff would be fine but i keep a 6' stick in case i need to get a long shot in the kelp or something. i dont see many private boaters using a 10' bamboo gaff.
    Rut roh

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
    Pismo Beach
    Name
    Bubba
    Boat
    18' Trophy

The OP put this up thinking it was cute and a snide way to say a "seal got stuck". I'm sure your post was made in jest but just in case that you don't understand what size of gaff you need on any given moment then you have no business on the water, somebody may get hurt.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I heard it was an accident LOL

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, I've done my share of killing with a rod and a gun but sticking a gaff in any animal and letting them die a long, painful death is wrong. If you're going to do illegal shit then go ahead and put a bullet in it's head and get it out of it's misery. I've lost just as many nice fish as the rest of us to seals but the one thing many of us forget is that we're going into their living room, they're not coming into ours. Flame away fags.

For a little context....

Bill Hartwell · Bowling Green State University
    "We were on the beach at the cove and witnessed this and it was not caused by an intentional act of a fisherman as has been speculated. The gaff was floating in the surf when a large wave came in and the gaff was wedged against a rock, and the sea lion was pushed by the wave against the end of the gaff. The gaff pole bent against the weight of the sea lion, and then he disappeared in the water. 2 other sea lions immediately went barking into the water from the beach as if they knew something bad had happened. We waited on the beach but never saw him come back out of the water, and we never saw him in the water. This took place at 7:45 am on Sunday morning, and he was rescued later that morning, so he only had been injured for a few hours before being rescued. Great work by Sea World to help this injured animal."

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0