Should the jackpot have better procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
Oh I have seen plenty of poor behavior out there...

Deckhands smoking meth, crazy swinging a gaff handle into a crowd of people knocking people down, tossing fish over the side half filleted, tossing filets over the side instead of carcases, tossing their cell phone or radio over the side in fits of anger. Yelling at passengers, each other, themselves...

Normally good crew can even just have a bad day. Overworked and lacking enough sleep can make for a rough trip, mistakes happen. However, I would suggest watching the offender very closely next time your out. If it is a one time mistake, stuff happens and its usually forgivable. If its a pattern, best everyone should know...
I couldn't have made a better statement. I received a degree in criminal justice, "Administration of Justice for transfer," plus 2 more degrees in behavioral modification (liberal arts). I know people have bad days!!! Your plan is my plan interpaleo! Thank you for the backup!!!

Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
Did you get clarification of the rules from the captain , Jack pot are Boat rules . The deck hands declare a winner
Yes, he said jackpot happens on the stern/back of the boat. I don't see why they fail to announce it to the entire boat. They have a PA system. At least in the gallery. I was ears wide open in the edge of my seat, and hear "No" talking or announcement. That went for everyone in the gallery too. Deckhands declared a winner, much to my dismay. Thank you for your help Buttchaser!

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat Name
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Galley, not gallery.

Reactions: rhartung84
Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
First thing is name the cheatin' boat as a heads up to others.

Yes some crews cheat, a small minority of them. No its not right.

In the immortal words of Jimmy Buffet:

"Breath in, breath out, move on"
My dad knows the owner of Davey's locker really well, and he is far beyond awesome! "Their business is always with me!" He knows now, and will talk to whomever he wants about it. Its not the boat, or the association owning the boat. They weren't there. Gave the name of the boat, but don't want to soup up the argument in this way! I would never give up the name of ___ the deckhand. Just be out on the stern "Directly" after the boat begins heading back to Port, 'when the motor revs east,' your on the back of the boat, brother! Don't use the restroom or nourish near-faint hunger because, thinkingly, "Oh, two minutes wouldn't matter, anyway!" One other contender can come up with a big fish, and others back down **Truth**! That scale can be hung after one weighing too, and so on...Cheating deckhands, two of them are, not the boat!

Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
Galley, not gallery.
I just realized that in two ways; funny! Predict-text kept saying gallery, and thought I had been wrong my entire fishing lifespan. Then I thought I saved "galley" into predict-text so have been avoiding pressing the right word! Blah! I apologize. Great guidance, thank you! I couldent have done it without you!

(Actually thought I was a bit profound for knowing the full name of a galley too). You cleared a lot of dead space in my brain!!!

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat Name
None
n
Yes, he said jackpot happens on the stern/back of the boat. I don't see why they fail to announce it to the entire boat. They have a PA system. At least in the gallery. I was ears wide open in the edge of my seat, and hear "No" talking or announcement. That went for everyone in the gallery too. Deckhands declared a winner, much to my dismay. Thank you for your help Buttchaser!
They don't need too! It's usually Handled at the end of the trip , when the captain says 'we are out of time,"
This applies to 1/2, 3/4 .full day and over night trips
Deck hand calls Jackpot
Going once
Twice
Done
If you had a fish worthy of being in the jackpot , its your job to be in the back of the boat and present your fish!

Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
n

They don't need too! It's usually Handled at the end of the trip , when the captain says 'we are out of time,"
Deck hand calls Jackpot
Going once
Twice
Done
If you had a fish worthy of being in the jackpot , its your job to be in the back of the boat and present.

n

Deck hand calls Jackpot
Going once
Twice
Done
If you had a fish worthy of being in the jackpot , its your job to be in the back of the boat and present your fish!
There is not a posted or said rule that states jackpot holders must be present on the stern or forfeit jackpot. It is definitely an unspoken rule. Saying jackpot is on the back of the boat, does not mean the deckand can choose who participates.

I worked at Starbucks a while ago, and the drip coffee needed to be changed every 30mins. When the blinking red light on the coffee pourer begins blinking, the coffee warmer turns off. It needs to be changed according to procedure. But, I haven't met a batista, or been to a Starbucks that comes close to wanting to change the coffee every thirty minutes, because constant waste.
Similarly, the jackpot should be announced to the entire boat on a PA system in the galley! The owner of Davey's Locker said that's procedure. They did not do that. They did not want me there for some reason, and was obvious to others on the boat.

The point is, the deckhands can avoid telling some of the passengers without much consequence, but if they get caught it will draw attention. Just like batistas don't get written up, or terminated, neither will the deckhand. An honest hard working person can identify this as a problem.

If a business needs to get approval to gamble in california than a law is involved, and rules should be posted clearly. I don't know if there is a law! But jackpots an official gamble, "I belive." I major in Criminal Justice.

If you can see it now, there's a fine line between right and wrong! They did me wrong and lied about it. Anyone can say the jackpot is done on back of the boat, but there is more to that.

Thank you for your time and patience with me Buttchaser! I have heard, thought about, and thoroughly understand your statement.

• Haha
Reactions: ColdEye
Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

• Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat Name
    Cattle Boats
    There is not a posted or said rule that states jackpot holders must be present on the stern or forfeit jackpot. It is definitely an unspoken rule. Saying jackpot is on the back of the boat, does not mean the deckand can choose who participates.

I worked at Starbucks a while ago, and the drip coffee needed to be changed every 30mins. When the blinking red light on the coffee pourer begins blinking, the coffee warmer turns off. It needs to be changed according to procedure. But, I haven't met a batista, or been to a Starbucks that comes close to wanting to change the coffee every thirty minutes, because constant waste.
    Similarly, the jackpot should be announced to the entire boat on a PA system in the galley! The owner of Davey's Locker said that's procedure. They did not do that. They did not want me there for some reason, and was obvious to others on the boat.

The point is, the deckhands can avoid telling some of the passengers without much consequence, but if they get caught it will draw attention. Just like batistas don't get written up, or terminated, neither will the deckhand. An honest hard working person can identify this as a problem.

If a business needs to get approval to gamble in california than a law is involved, and rules should be posted clearly. I don't know if there is a law! But jackpots an official gamble, "I belive." I major in Criminal Justice.

If you can see it now, there's a fine line between right and wrong! They did me wrong and lied about it. Anyone can say the jackpot is done on back of the boat, but there is more to that.

Thank you for your time and patience with me Buttchaser! I have heard, thought about, and thoroughly understand your statement.
    I've never been on a boat where they announced that jackpot weighing was taking place over the PA. The captain is usually busy driving the boat and calling in the fish count. Usually a deckhard will shout Jackpot at the back of the boat. If you have a fish that's a contender, you wait in the back and weigh your fish. It's not the job of the deckhand to go from customer to customer to make sure they weighed their fish or heard the jackpot announcement. You sound like you're an adult and don't need that type of attention. You also sound like you've been on other boats before, so you should know the jackpot procedures. Take this as a lesson and stop complaining. Any more and it comes across more as whining vs informing people.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.