Should offshore drilling be banned to prevent damage to fisheries?

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
I heard a soundbite on the radio this morning from an LA charter boat captain calling for a ban on all offshore drilling because of the pending oil spill approaching the gulf coast.

I'm just curious what everyones' opinions are.

Personally, I am torn. When a disaster happens like now in the gulf, my heart goes out to all the people that will be negatively affected by the coming oil spill. On the other hand, I know that without our offshore drilling program, oil prices will go up. Higher fuel prices will directly damage my family and hurt everyone else in the US that relies on petroleum based fuel for their livelihood, especially fishermen.

Upvote 0

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
why pay some other country billions of dollars when have enough crude oil here to last a long time. you would be surprised how much oil is still under signal hill. new oil drilling platforms on or off shore would create wait, more jobs. but who cares about that. our government is more worried about open the boarders and shit. Thats a different story for another day:finger: oh let me put it out there that in no way will oil drilling help my company. we dont drill for oil but something needs to happen we need to use our resources and pay hard working americans instead of fattening up other pockets in a place where they want the US gone and off the map. We are paying for there weapons to kill us one day. BOOM

sorry just had to rant a little.

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
This is going to get interesting, by the way I think there are over 1200 rigs in the GOM pumping 24/7

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
Even though I consider my self an environmentalist, I don’t mind harvesting but not waste our recourses, plant, animal, or mineral resources. I don’t think offshore drilling should stopped but in fact I think it should be expanded.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I am a little shocked that there wasn&#8217;t much of an emergency plan in place in case of a leak. At first they thought it wasn&#8217;t much, so they tried to suck it up. Then it grew larger and now they are trying to coral it in sorts. Now they want to light it of fire.
<o:p></o:p>
It seems to me that the fire thing would have been a good idea at the start while the pool of oil on the surface was small. But to light it now, how do they get close enough to the source leak to cap it with fire all around?
There should be a better emergency plan required for oil spills. The way I see it nobody or thing is perfect, shit is going to happen. Oil spills happen on land based rigs as well as rigs in the water, which is worse who knows?
This country made a decision to import a lot more oil from foreign countries in the early 70&#8217;s to save ours for future use, well it worked for 30 years. But now mostly thanks to the extremely pour business practices of our own oil traders we are taking it in the ass.
About a couple of years ago 60 minutes TV. show asked the middle east oil barons why oil shot up so suddenly. Their answer was haunting &#8220;We noticed that we would sell you a barrel of oil for $X and by the time it got to your refineries it was $3X, why shouldn&#8217;t we make more profit, you did&#8221;. So they jacked up the oil prices, our trading companies didn&#8217;t want to take it in the shorts&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;so they let the American public take it in the ass. I have no respect for our oil company&#8217;s trading policies because they have no respect for me. I can&#8217;t wait for cheaper better running engines and motors!

Upvote 0

Steel Leader

Liquid Therapy
Aug 29, 2005
san diego
www.facebook.com
Name
marcus
Boat
27' seastar flybridge diesel
WTF, the ocean floor spews out naturally way more than these few and far between accidents we make. I say drill. Either way we all still will get drilled :indabutt: at the pump.

Upvote 0

zigzag

Captain
Aug 6, 2005
PV / Mexico
Name
Dave
Boat
BERTRAM 35
DRILL DRILL DRILL DRILL .What the fuck the world isnt perfect.Shit happens .11 men lost their lives trying to make a buck and feed there familys what about them??Heres the 64 dollar question the dip stick broad Admiral should be home cleaning house cause she sure as shit doesent see a disaster when it happens.Frist day this was way over her head.Even if its only a thousand gallons a day at frist thought so bring in the cavelry.Now turned out it was 5000 gallons a day.Whoa

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
This is going to get interesting, by the way I think there are over 1200 rigs in the GOM pumping 24/7

Besides....we're not the only ones drilling in the Gulf. We could stop drilling cold turkey, and there'd still be a ton of rigs out there. MOF, the current leaking one is the property of British Petroleum.

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Well until the day that we actually make a 100% effort into finding and making renewable energy, we'll be drilling away. The oil company have way too much power on our Politicians so we'll be slaves to oil for a very long long time.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
eleven ? ... men died, a bad deal. God bless them.

Upvote 0

zigzag

Captain
Aug 6, 2005
PV / Mexico
Name
Dave
Boat
BERTRAM 35
eleven ? ... men died, a bad deal. God bless them.

yea and I dont see any one getting teary eyed over their family loss.they had wives kids brothers and a ton of family.yet some duck bird cleaning wacko job from CA. is sending 300 bird oil ass wipes down there at 350 bucks a head to mop up birds and give BP a monster bill that we pick up at the gas pump and wants to make a buck off the tragedy.that just plain sucks.The whinning LA. charter boat fishing Captains act like they lost millions.what Bullshit.these guys in a good year dont make squat off Venice.I know 2 of them and talk to one yesterday and hes laughing all the way to the bank and doesent have to put out a line or leave the dock.Yea its a banner year for oily Tuna .

No question this makes the VALDEZ look like a spit in the ocean.This is a monster disaster by any other word.My Brother inlaw good ole boy from Lake Charles is down there and Exxon is setting up to 2500 HP screw machine air compressor or vacumn pumps and he says and I quote Brothern law i been luken for that pot gold at the end of the rainbow yall know what I found it.he says there are at least 4 to 5 thousand men women lined up to get apiece of the American Pie.Ye HA this is gonna be a guuden.Well OBAMA could not make jobs ,THANK GOD for the Brits.Right on BP OIL

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Drill Drill Drill
Why are was making bazzionairs out of people that want us DEAD

Reactions: stairman
Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
2500 HP screw machine air compressor or vacumn pumps

whoa, das a bigun......

Upvote 0

zigzag

Captain
Aug 6, 2005
PV / Mexico
Name
Dave
Boat
BERTRAM 35
2500 HP screw machine air compressor or vacumn pumps

whoa, das a bigun......
yea he be da man the dewd has been in every country you can name.Micom makes some big shit.i have 2 Trane screws 400 ton TOYS.I really dont know much about them but apparently they pull down vacumn to 40 plus microns.How they power these beautys up is a mystery Takes a MONGO Power plant fire these beautys.ill ask him and let you know .This kinda shit allways intriquies me .

Upvote 0

tailsurfer

Sep 20, 2007
HB
Name
tailsurfer
Boat
SCOUT RIB
yea and I dont see any one getting teary eyed over their family loss.they had wives kids brothers and a ton of family.yet some duck bird cleaning wacko job from CA. is sending 300 bird oil ass wipes down there at 350 bucks a head to mop up birds and give BP a monster bill that we pick up at the gas pump and wants to make a buck off the tragedy.that just plain sucks.The whinning LA. charter boat fishing Captains act like they lost millions.what Bullshit.these guys in a good year dont make squat off Venice.I know 2 of them and talk to one yesterday and hes laughing all the way to the bank and doesent have to put out a line or leave the dock.Yea its a banner year for oily Tuna .

Umm, the part I highlighted is actually way off. This oil well was mearly an exploration well. This means that the loss of this oil does not hinder the amount of oil that is currently in the market and for this reason gas prices should not be affected. Its basic supply and demand. Since demand is constant amd supply has not changed then the cost will not change, but say this accident didn't happen and they found a huge Oil field and put in several wells. Then the supply would grow and price would fall. This is why Huricanes effect prices. if they take out a well that is pumping oil into the maket then the supply falls and price increases.

BTW, I think that BP should pay a settlement to the fishermen of Louisiana; like $50,000 each. I could easily see this since BP makes billions of Dollars a year.

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
BP will pay out a shit load of $ when this is all done. I just hope it goes to the right people.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
BP will pay out a shit load of $ when this is all done. I just hope it goes to the right people.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

You already know the right people won't get shit. BP's dollars will be used to strengthen every environmental whacko organization. The LA fishermen will get a pittance of a settlement to temporarily shut them up. Then Billions will go to every whacko organization, which they will use to systematically reduce the rights and livelihood of fishermen for decades to come.

Reactions: stairman
Upvote 0

FishStalker

You're no daisy
Sep 3, 2003
With your wife
Visit site
Name
Charles aka "Ben"
Boat
15' Tupperware Sloop
I find it ironic that a sport boat captain, who relies on the availability of cheap diesel to run his business, wants to stop drilling to save the fisheries from POTENTIAL harm. Yeah, you'll have more fish in case of the rare disaster but no way to get to them with the fuel to put in your boat.

Yep, makes sense to me...

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Drill.......Drill...... Drill......And Drill....

It's sad about those men..... But stuff happens.... look at floods, earthquakes etc.

We still need our fossil fuel...... Green to an extent is fine.... but we cannot go overbaord on green.... like the wackos....Green is expesive...as well enough said...

Upvote 0

sdangler

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 5, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Mark
Boat
USS Drum SSN 677
All I can say is Caribou... There is plenty of oil in Sarah's backyard.

One accident should not shut down an entire industry. Look at Three mile Island and Chernobyl (well that's two but hey who's counting). Somehow the fail safe failed.

Those things make great fish attractors anyway.

Upvote 0

yft1979

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
I find it ironic that a sport boat captain, who relies on the availability of cheap diesel to run his business, wants to stop drilling to save the fisheries from POTENTIAL harm. Yeah, you'll have more fish in case of the rare disaster but no way to get to them with the fuel to put in your boat.

Yep, makes sense to me...

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Drill.......Drill...... Drill......And Drill....

It's sad about those men..... But stuff happens.... look at floods, earthquakes etc.

We still need our fossil fuel...... Green to an extent is fine.... but we cannot go overbaord on green.... like the wackos....Green is expesive...as well enough said...

It's always going to be expensive until we learn to master the green technology. Unfortunately that won't happen as long as we're addicted to oil and the oil company having their influences on our Politicians who dictates our policies. You think the oil company will allow us to find a cheaper and better alternative then what they're selling? Their whole lively hood depends on our addiction and dependance. The sooner we as a society can kick this oil habit the better off we'll all be.

Upvote 0