Should I bring my bucket harness?

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Hi, I am going on a 2.5 day trip next week on the Pacifica. I have a new rail rod set up for 100 lb, and regular style rod 80/ 60 top that I will fish flat fall and sinker rigs…. New to the whole rail style fishing thing. I have a braid bucket harness and don’t know whether I should bring it in case …. Any thoughts?

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I would not. Heck, I bring but often don't use a simple rod belt. IGFA be phooey, use the rail - it is so convenient if you do fight a big one. For the smaller ones, no need for either Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    Hi, I am going on a 2.5 day trip next week on the Pacifica. I have a new rail rod set up for 100 lb, and regular style rod 80/ 60 top that I will fish flat fall and sinker rigs…. New to the whole rail style fishing thing. I have a braid bucket harness and don’t know whether I should bring it in case …. Any thoughts?
    I say yes. i don't know what all this macho aversion to the stand up harness is nowadays and the macho affinity for the rod rail. the stand up offers comfort and control. someone explain why they would rather squat at the rail and work so f'in hard.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I say yes. i don't know what all this macho aversion to the stand up harness is nowadays and the macho affinity for the rod rail. the stand up offers comfort and control. someone explain why they would rather squat at the rail and work so f'in hard.

Has nothing to do with that. A harness is absolutly the choice when the boat can be moved to position the angler. When the boat is stationary and you have to follow your fish to keep everything proper the rail is the better choice.

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    Has nothing to do with that. A harness is absolutly the choice when the boat can be moved to position the angler. When the boat is stationary and you have to follow your fish to keep everything proper the rail is the better choice.
    you can 'walk the dog' with the stand up gear. the long rangers did it all the time.

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    you can 'walk the dog' with the stand up gear. the long rangers did it all the time.
    but in all fairness they knew the drill. i bet it would be chaos if every guy had stand up gear on a boat fishing these big bluefin at the outer banks right now. More so cause they dont work together like the long range guys did back then.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    but in all fairness they knew the drill. i bet it would be chaos if every guy had stand up gear on a boat fishing these big bluefin at the outer banks right now. More so cause they dont work together like the long range guys did back then.

They sure did but it certainly doesn't mean it was ideal. Just a nightmare trying to clear your rod from the harness and then get up around everyone else (especially with a shorter true stand up rod) vs. having a rail rod designed to get you away from the hull and easily move around the boat and other fisherman.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    You can only fish 1 rod at a time. The crew can bring you into fishing the rail. Sure… bring it. Two different rod setups though. But the crew can help you with your rail rod. And you will do well with the rail rod. If you get in trouble with the long rod, point it at the fish.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    First.... no one has asked your vertical height? Why.... if your over 6' .... rail rodding is a tough sell. At 6'-2"... its like getting on your knees... to pray for your fish. Crotch crush.... oh yeah.... sign me up for that! Volunteering for a kick in the balls is easier....lol.

Bring that harness. If you've mastered the "squat and sit" you can easily take big BFT. As for those who "don't know how".... too bad. I think you'll regret not bringing it.... and having the opportunity to take a nice fish with it would be a "experience" loss.

I'd like to think you could get lucky enough to try both.... making up your own mind.... and reporting back to us here Brother. Good luck either way.... personally I'll take the harness anyday!!

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Unless you are the only one fighting a fish at the stern or the bow, you are going to be getting out of the harness anyway. I don't know why people say you need to kneel down when using the rail. I have never done that and I only fish the rail. The only time that will be an issue is if the fish is on top and out far, and even then you can still fight the fish standing up, stepping forward and back instead of using the rail.

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Second the mention for the smitty belt but I wear the smitty belly button design.

That thing is awesome. I can wear it all day and not even notice it. Creates an awesome leverage point. And the rail is always there.

4C6A51ED-1B20-4BBA-9FCD-E65301B6B907.png

Upvote 0

LEGALWISE

Almost A Member
    Nov 17, 2011
    VALENCIA,CA
    Name
    DON KLAHS
    Boat
    INDEPENDANCE
    Because when you need to move fast and go over/under you don’t have to un clip or do the sideways shuffle. Also, using the rail with a stiff rod can put more pressure on a fish. It’s not a matter of being macho it’s all a matter of what works best.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I agree.... although I'm a skilled harness guy. Which mean I know ,YOUR style..... before we meet at the "fish crossing" on the rail. To each his own. The fact that BOTH styles CAN and DO provide complimentary positioning advantages.... to BOTH anglers makes it acceptable to me. Anyways.... whatever works for you..... without hindering others.... go for it!

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Jlmuncie

Feb 14, 2017
    lakewood, CA
    Name
    Joshua
    Boat
    At the landing
    A stand up harness would be better, a bucket harness is kind of big.

Reactions: woodfish330
    W
    woodfish330
    A trout rod would be better. No need for the harness at all. POW....GONE!

BROTHER if your gonna wear harness AT ALL... where the one that works best for you. I'm sure there are allot of guys who show up on LR trips with that "over the shoulder boulder holder" that kills your back in 10 minutes. Do what you must I guess.
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    I own just about every plate and harness. Got to fish with Smitty a few times too;)

These days I mostly fish his soft pad. Otherwise I fish one of his smaller plates with the pad of my left hip and dikes to the right.

I stopped bringing my unlimited bucket harness and big contoured plate. Last trip I bought a spider harness with larger plate. I’m probably going to leave that at home on my next trip. I would only use it on the kite anyway.

Lastly, I stopped putting gimbals on my rods. They’re designed for the rail. Using a 71/2 foot Viper or Invictus in a harness would probably end up with me getting launched overboard.

Reactions: dtf and woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Latest posts