Shortraker rock fish off Washington?

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat
16.5 smoker craft pro lodge
Has anyone ever caught a shortraker off Washington? My research says they live from 800-1600’, Alaska down to California.
They get up to 60# and the world record rod and reel is around 40#. That’s one big ass rockfish. I was pretty impressed with my first bocaccios I caught this spring. At around 15-20# I thought those were pretty special.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Shortraker is a good and a high value fish in the rockfish realm of fish markets. Idiots (Thornyheads) another deeper living rockfish are good also but smaller. There are a few to be caught also in our waters. Personally I'm not a rockfish fan, texture isn't to my liking but I have had baked idiot in a Japanese restaurant that was very good.

Reactions: Dilleytech
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
The category of "red rockfish" include shortrakers. I worked as a fisheries observer on a longline boat in AK, targeting sablefish. They caught a lot of shortraker and rougheye rockfish incidentally (mostly when they set their lines wrong). They also caught a few thornyheads, and were very happy to keep them. Guess they get a good price in Japan, where most of their fish were going. All these fish were caught at 2000+ feet.

I gave the cook on that boat a night off and fried up some of the shortrakers for fish tacos for dinner once. It was a big hit.

I've caught a bunch of yelloweye rockfish (very similar to shortraker or rougheye, but caught much shallower, like 2-300 ft.), some up to 25 lbs. I've also caught tons of halibut in AK, and I'd trade 2 pounds of halibut for 1 lb. of yelloweye any day.

For the OP, the boat I was on targeted the sablefish on the deeper sides/inclines of deep pinnacles. When the longline set wound up on the top of the pinnacle or rise is when they'd get the rockfish.

I say go for it. Honestly some of the best white meat fish I've ever eaten.

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat
The category of "red rockfish" include shortrakers. I worked as a fisheries observer on a longline boat in AK, targeting sablefish. They caught a lot of shortraker and rougheye rockfish incidentally (mostly when they set their lines wrong). They also caught a few thornyheads, and were very happy to keep them. Guess they get a good price in Japan, where most of their fish were going. All these fish were caught at 2000+ feet.

I gave the cook on that boat a night off and fried up some of the shortrakers for fish tacos for dinner once. It was a big hit.

I've caught a bunch of yelloweye rockfish (very similar to shortraker or rougheye, but caught much shallower, like 2-300 ft.), some up to 25 lbs. I've also caught tons of halibut in AK, and I'd trade 2 pounds of halibut for 1 lb. of yelloweye any day.

For the OP, the boat I was on targeted the sablefish on the deeper sides/inclines of deep pinnacles. When the longline set wound up on the top of the pinnacle or rise is when they'd get the rockfish.

I say go for it. Honestly some of the best white meat fish I've ever eaten.
Can you go into more detail on the sable fish location? They fished the drop off specifically or bear it? Thanks

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Interesting. I hate bocaccios for eating.

Can't imagine dropping to 1000ft for a rockfish but it would be interesting to see what's down there.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Can you go into more detail on the sable fish location? They fished the drop off specifically or bear it? Thanks
It may have been more a depth thing. They were targeting pinnacles or mounts, and trying to hit the sides/edges with their longline. When they "missed," and some or all of the set wound up near the top, or shallower region, they'd come up with rockfish after rockfish.

Reactions: Dilleytech
Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat
Interesting. I hate bocaccios for eating.

Can't imagine dropping to 1000ft for a rockfish but it would be interesting to see what's down there.
Rockfish are my favorite to catch and deep water rockfish being the most interesting. Bocaccio to me reminded me of halibut. I have a itching to get into sablefish but sure would be interesting to bring up a 30# rockfish. I would guess most that are caught are confused with yellow eye.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Most of the shortraker I've caught which was in the Aleutians was 200 fathom plus. Most of your rockfish like a fairly steep edge, hard ground, bump on the bottom....that sort of thing. Couple spots in the Bering I've seen them somewhat shallow, 80 to 90 fathoms range but we were on a steep edge so may have gotten blown up by current.

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat
TTT. Any commercial guys who have ran long lines for black cod off our coast? Those would be the guys who know if we have some shortraker.

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat
You are the first guy that I have heard give Bocaccio a positive review. Anybody else like it?
Haha not sure what people don’t like about them. Meat tasted like every other rockfish I have had. Texture was similar to a large halibut. These fish were bled and thrown on ice right away..

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Boccacio are notorious for having worms. Lots of them. Silvergrey rockfish -- a slope rockfish that looks similar to Boccaccio -- is not especially good on the table either. In fact, early California fish mongers would not buy them from commercial fishermen because they were hard to sell. Shortraker as well as rougheye rockfish are excellent on the table, almost as good as yelloweye in my opinion. Sadly these three species of rockfish are among the longest lived and quite old before they spawn so they need protection in most waters.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Haha not sure what people don’t like about them. Meat tasted like every other rockfish I have had. Texture was similar to a large halibut. These fish were bled and thrown on ice right away..
    I am glad you enjoy them, I just have not heard a positive review before. We filleted one last year and the meat looked great but did not get a positive review from the crew after cooking and eating.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt

I have to believe you unknowingly ate a yelloweye or canary. The meat is slimy and smelly. Very different from other rockfish in both flavor and consistency.

Reactions: Nineball
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Baked idiot, eh? I seen the dude, man! Loads of em even.

--Why I like So Cal, #277 in a series.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
    Southern wa
    Name
    Jakob
    Boat
    I have to believe you unknowingly ate a yelloweye or canary. The meat is slimy and smelly. Very different from other rockfish in both flavor and consistency.
    It was baccaccio for sure. I know what you mean by “slimy” a lot of people including myself refer to that as fat. They had a lot of fat on the meat which personally I really like fish fat. Take salmon for example. Salmon without fat is horrible. Didn’t notice any abnormal amount of worms. But I know all rockfish have worms so I don’t really take the time to look for them.
    To each there own I guess.. But anyway no one ever heard of a shortraker caught off Washington out deep?

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    Funny this came up on another site this morning. interesting how Rhett knew how far it came up by the barotrauma lifting the scales. Well, then there is the obvious eyeball issue going on!

20210803_073052.jpg

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
    Southern wa
    Name
    Jakob
    Boat
    Funny this came up on another site this morning. interesting how Rhett knew how far it came up by the barotrauma lifting the scales. Well, then there is the obvious eyeball issue going on!

View attachment 1305341
    They sure catch a lot up in Alaska while fishing for black cod. Mostly over 1,000’. The ol internet says they live along the shelf all the way to California.

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
    Southern wa
    Name
    Jakob
    Boat
    They sure catch a lot up in Alaska while fishing for black cod. Mostly over 1,000’. The ol internet says they live along the shelf all the way to California.
    I wonder if they get caught but thrown back as assumed yellow eye. Gotta be a commercial guy on this page…

Upvote 0