Shortening 9ft rod....?

guss

Jul 8, 2014
Culver City
Name
Gus
Boat
None
I have quite a few 9 ft. Turners Calico Series rods with cork handles rated 15-40 probably "Heavy". They don't have aluminum seats. Although the length is great for casting jigs and handling a 15 lb. yellowtail, I'm not confident how they might do on a 30-40 lb. BFT. If these were rated XXH maybe I'd feel better but they're not. The components are not top of the line but rather functional for a $109 rod new. If I trim one to 7'4" ft, I know it will feel more rigid but the original blank is still not up to specs for a true 50-80 blank XXH. I'm willing to sacrifice one to experiment on. I guess I'm hoping to save on buying a $250 XXH rod and just put that into a new Penn 2 speed. Anyone have input on this experiment? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Don't try to cheap out (too much) on the right gear for the heavier fish. Stepping into the BFT game isn't the same as using a Barbie spinner combo to catch Calico for YouTube clicks.

Find used gear (I know it's slim pickings) if you need to budget. That rod you have can also sell for around $80, which will cut into what you'd be spending on the new one.

As mentioned, I don't think rods are things you can just cut down and expect to perform a certain way. The action was built into the exact length you already have. I imagine all you'd be doing is creating a shortened tree trunk/broomstick with very little give. So when the BFT bites, you're basically fighting it with your arms. That'll last about a minute before your fingers tell you to let go.

Reactions: guss
    Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    JMHO:
    why put time & $$ into a Yugo and expect a hotrod? it ain't gonna happen. you need a good foundation to build a very doable custom rod!

That rod is perfect as a calico stix and "I'd" be sad to see you destroy its integrity!
    the original Turner's Calico Spcls were made by Allstar Rods(?) and were the best bang for the buck! Turners changed companies and later went with the Danny Hernadez series... i forget who made those...

don't fux with it! use it strictly for structure & kelp line calico fishing! you'll be glad you did! OR as posted, "Sell It" and use the $$$ towards a CalStar or UC.

Last edited:
    Reactions: guss
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Just keep your eyes open and you will find what you need for a good price. I sold a bunch of rods at the last fishing tackle swapmeet at the Long Beach rod and gun club including 4 or 5 pretty decent railrods and many other quality rods for fishing 40, 50 and even 60 pound line. Many times you can pick up a nice Sabre, Calstar or Seeker glass rod for $75 to $100. I sold a new Graftech XXH railrod for $150 and some brand new custom wrapped Cousins railrods for $175 to $200. Don't start cutting on a decent rod that is worth some money. You will just end up with a butchered rod that is worth nothing. Just sell it as is and use the money to buy what you really need.

Reactions: guss and dalurker
    Upvote 0

guss

Jul 8, 2014
    Culver City
    Name
    Gus
    Boat
    None
    Just keep your eyes open and you will find what you need for a good price. I sold a bunch of rods at the last fishing tackle swapmeet at the Long Beach rod and gun club including 4 or 5 pretty decent railrods and many other quality rods for fishing 40, 50 and even 60 pound line. Many times you can pick up a nice Sabre, Calstar or Seeker glass rod for $75 to $100. I sold a new Graftech XXH railrod for $150 and some brand new custom wrapped Cousins railrods for $175 to $200. Don't start cutting on a decent rod that is worth some money. You will just end up with a butchered rod that is worth nothing. Just sell it as is and use the money to buy what you really need.
    Hey Mike, I went to that swap meet and wasn't ready to buy but I did see a lot of choices. Thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Trim 4 feet off the tip and you will have a Bitchin big tuna stick. Or you can duct tape two rods together. Either is a good choice

Upvote 0