Short Report: Royal Star 14 Day

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Posting a late report here, just did the 14 day on the Royal Star. I'll keep it in summary form: conditions were mostly tough as a storm planted itself almost in the middle of the trip. We maneuvered around it and at one point had the entire fleet with us taking shelter. We did have some sign of the larger models, we worked at it and the usual tactics worked. Went up the line to clobber the amazing Wahoo fishing at the rocks, WOW. I got a limit of Wahoo and got lucky with 2nd place Jack Pot with a 216lb yellowfin. What was awesome about that fish was that it was all 100% my rod, reel and rigging this time. Great feeling to know that your connections and tackle stand up to the test (and this fish was pretty brutal, stayed at the surface most of the time, went around the boat 3 or 4x. At one point I decided to max everything out and pull as hard as I could, even if I risked losing the fish cause I was getting sick of the 20 min long stand off). Also cool was the rod, which was brand new and the cow was its first fish. I guess its a keeper! Also of note, after catching a few big fish on a 50 and 30, I highly recommend fishing 50. 30 is too undergunned in my opinion. Obviously it can do the job, but there were plenty of times I wanted more "umph." Wahoo fishing this time of year, hell, its some of the best I've ever seen (or anyone), and its Jan/Feb! I got bit/hooked 2X more than I landed. Plus landed my first Striped marlin.

Despite the tough conditions, it was fun trip. Tim and the crew are awesome, these guys know their stuff. Some real good guys on the trip (plus a very few.... not so much). Looking forward to the next round...enjoy the pics!

P1013649.JPG

P1013684.JPG

P1013597RS1.jpg

P1013766 - Copy.JPG

P1013807.JPG

P1013820.JPG

P1013912.JPG

P1013926.JPG

P1013661.JPG

P1013694.JPG

P1013699.JPG

Baller