PENN

love2fishsc

Nov 21, 2010
san clemente
Name
scott
Boat
whaler cc
Skipped opening night, and Sunday. Did well on Monday (13 for 2 of us). 100's of hoops in the water. Most lit well. Most people were great, even in nasty wind and crowds. One guy (there's always one) prop wrapped several hoops, including one of mine. Cut them lose and continued on. No lights on his 35 ft boat. No clue.

Saw 4 guys in black wetsuits at the dock when we came in. Riding 4 black waverunners. No lights. Each guy had 5 hoops (no lights on buoys). Tried to talk with them. No English.

Next two nights =less bugs. Went last night. 2 legals. Also very few people on the water.

I guess if you put enough pressure on a small area, you can catch em all. I'll probably give it one more shot, but I think I'm done. Ugh. Fun while it lasted.

I did here f&g plus sheriff wrote over 100 tickets Sunday. Short bugs, and no lights on kayaks.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
... and that's what you are aware of. imagine all the illegals who poach and never get caught. the ones who do get caught have no mailing address or ways to bust 'em....

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
The best hooping is Feb- end of season.
IMO it depends on the area/location, and sometimes the good period starts closer to March, if at all, there can be a few down years, and last March was absolutely SICK in my fishbowl.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I was coming back from the Tuna grounds last Saturday night. I was blown away by the amount of hoop nets in the water (SD Bay). HOLY SHIT. 100's. Crazy.

Reactions: Reel hip
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It's like people think bugs just can't wait to crawl into nets the first weeks of the season and people need to fight for every freaking crawdad that exists near the only area they know.

Then they post about people netting where other no nothings are netting like they own the easy patch.

Do some research. Same stupid shit the past 45 years.
On the water, not on the interweb.

It's hilarious.
Not at all the same shit for 45 years.The last ten years has turned into a shitshow.Remember when you didn't need to have lights on your buoys because hardly anybody was on the water ? i do.Remember when you could drift off your gear and not worry about somebody running it over ? How about just being able to fish almost alone with nobody in sight ? And yes you better get them now because in a month it'll be pretty hammered.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Not at all the same shit for 45 years.The last ten years has turned into a shitshow.Remember when you didn't need to have lights on your buoys because hardly anybody was on the water ? i do.Remember when you could drift off your gear and not worry about somebody running it over ? How about just being able to fish almost alone with nobody in sight ? And yes you better get them now because in a month it'll be pretty hammered.

*some places will be hammered

If you know the good spots and have a big enough boat to get to them, and don’t mind burning the fuel, and don’t have to worry about weather most of the time, then you’re likely to have most patches all to yourself. But I agree, in the last 10-12 years, it’s turned into a zoo, and it’s only going to get worse as the population continues to increase in this state.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Yes, I remember.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I hoop when I'm hungry. I only have 7 in my freezer. :D

Reactions: Jig Strike
Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Stopped doing it for precisely this reason. But on the positive side, with all the people spending their precious time on lobster, more fish for those who fish...

Reactions: Jig Strike
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
IIRC about 80% of the commercial catch happens in the first 2 weeks of the season.

Lobsters can move in mass like you would not believe. They can be thick in an area one day then be gone from there the next. Certainly local pressure can but a dent in the population for a bit but if the conditions are good more will come.

Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Huh we have nothing but limits 4 trips

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I don't even really like lobster that much. I just enjoy the fun of hooping with friends or solo. But I will admit, its not as fun anymore.

It used to be relaxing. I didn't care if we pulled up any bugs. I just liked being on the water, like a kid, seeing what might be in the hoops. Eels, sharks, starfish, crabs, whatever.

It was and still is just the for enjoyment to me, of seeing what is in the net. Sure..I want to bring home some food to share with the family or friends, But no doubt, it has turned into a bit of a shitshow.

I don't get out much these days, so the fun factor is more important to me then putting limits on the boat. But I also don't want confrontation. So I am going to wait until it gets shit nipply cold out. That seems to cut back on the traffic.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Yup. Though ...
Still like staying out all night
Drinking an adult beverage
Shooting the shit with friends
Smoking a cigar (only time I enjoy them)
Being on the water
Clipity sound they make (knowing you got some)
A full net
YUP!

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Done and on trailer by 830. Been a great year for me .

20191011_215521.jpg

Reactions: Billy L and sdjfish
    Upvote 0