Shore Fishing Oahu

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by RaiderNparadise, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RaiderNparadise

RaiderNparadise Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Sittin on a cooler
    Howzit?!

I been shore fishing for 6 months now on Oahu.

Whipping and Dunking:
    -Ala Moana
    -Kaimana's War Memorial
    -Nimitz Beach in Ewa
    -Kahala all over
    -Pier 36

Bait:
    -Ika
    -Tako
    -Crabs
    -Shrimp

3oz weight
    Medium Hooks
    10ft Ugly Stick

I have been many other places but I have caught the most and the most diverse sampling at Ala Moana Beach Park night fishing. Everyone teases me but I always get action there. Saturday I seen huge mullet jumping at sunset 15 yards off shore.

Thru my visits I've Caught:
    -Tai'ape
    -Hammerhead
    -Plenty Eel
    -Puffers of course
    -O'io
    -Mullet
    -Lizard fish, hey it was a huge one!

I have yet to hit a Papi'o but word is they cruise the sands at night.

Any tips for Ala Moana?

Anyone try in front of Fort Derussi area? By the volleyball area/park?

2. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

If you've got base access then that would increase your chances of catching papio a lot more. There are several good spots on hickam that have oio and papio. If you head over to the east side and fish the marine base there are several great spots there as well. Ala moana beach park kewalo basin side at sunset is a good area for a variety of fish. If you fish at kewalo basin itself with a far cast on the flats then oio should be around. Point panic side of kewalo basin in the channel is another spot. first pavillion is another good spot as well.

3. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    check'em out http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ha...nt-caught-anything-nice-all-yet-whipping.html

fish bait here with a couple set ups and do your whipping thing. for me i've found fishing to be best on an incoming tide. also i use a mixture of canned jack mackerel and oatmeal with some beach sand mixed up in a bucket as palu. you basically want it to the consistency so the sand helps get the palu down to the bottom. hope this helps.

4. RaiderNparadise

RaiderNparadise Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Sittin on a cooler
    I actually landed a MOI last night @ ala moana, just used couple squid tentacles on medium hook. large enough to keep. can't wait to steam it.

I actually work on base for Navy just never driven around the hickam side so I have no idea how to get to the places and all.

I def want to use that privilege for fishing on base.

5. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Congratulations on the moi, forgot all about those being around there. I normally just use them for bait if I decide to fish for them.