Inshore Shore Fishing in Ketchikan

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat Name
Ranger Bahia 220
I’m headed up to KTN on March 15th to work on a boat for a client. I have a rental car and I’m staying in town at a hotel. I have 2 days to fish while I’m there. I’m bringing 3 travel rods with me. 8ft swimbait rod with a Lexa 300, 7’6” medium spinning rod with a Fuego 3000 and two spools, and a 7’1” ML spinning rod with a tatula 2500. All filled with appropriate spectra. I just wanna get out and catch some fish from shore, wether its dollys, rockfish, steelhead, rainbows or whatever. I’ll be back in May to finish my work and will do the guide thing then. I’m working in Ward cove. Anybody been up there and focused on shore fishing? Any spots you’d recommend? What type of tackle should I bring? Thanks for the help in advance!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Here's some input those fishing from shore there.....several posts/spots. FYI

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Ranger Bahia 220
    Here's some input those fishing from shore there.....several posts/spots. FYI
    Thanks Ron, I have already scoured the Internet and the forums but I’m looking for something a little more first-hand experience. Especially given the timeframe for which I am going to be up there

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Randal

randal
    Nov 29, 2004
    California
    Name
    randal
    Boat Name
    19' Marine Specialty
    DIY fishing in AK has provided the most rewarding experiences for me. From what you are bringing up tells me you are prepared. I have never been to Ketchikan but from my research in the area, time of year, steelhead would be my target.

Upvote 0

neil c

Fish Killing Fool
  • Mar 28, 2011
    long beach
    Name
    neil
    Boat Name
    34 Radovich/ Four Reel Sportfishing
    Last time I was there they where catching Salmon in the mouth of the river that runs through the middle of town. Looks like they where snagging but pretty sure most where beed fishing.

Upvote 0

Gary_

May 31, 2022
    Arizona
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    No Boat (Yet)
    yes i do that all the time, but the run starts mid june. Eggs is really good to use at the mouth of the creek, but is illegal further up the creek

Upvote 0