Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
That sucks. It's always nice to have options when down there.

A lot of people, myself included, do not have a local shop with everything needed to fish SD.

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
Well that just sucks hate to see small businesses close shop.Won a reel bag there when they opened.

el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
That's too bad, but not surprising. That store was always half dead.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Bummer.It was nice to have an option other than the store down the street that is tiny and gets so crowded you don't even want to be in it.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
you have to be open to get business...went by there three times in the last 3 months and it was closed 2 of the 3 when it was supposed to be open according to posted hours

Reactions: 2nastick and lougio

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bummer, but after some conversations with Mark, I totally understand. Will miss stopping there. Online sales are good.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Tackle biz is a tough one for retail stores, especially in CA, and especially if you cater and primarily sell to LR anglers. The bigger, long standing shops like Sav-On and The Longfin do a lot of freshwater gear and terminal sales as well as saltwater/LR. Mark told me a few years ago that he was on the fence when it came to staying in SD or not... it was generally a break even at best with a few months being a dead loss. He does much better on the internet side and the HB (original store) holds its own with regards to ROI.

G

Reactions: Artois

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Well I guess that explains why I saw the store manager working at 5 Star the other day.
Eric has not worked there for some time now. Nathan is the store manager.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Off to Squidco, Anglers Choice and M&M's.
Fisherman's Landing tackle store does a lot of business too, they have a real good selection and deep inventory of gear, tackle and clothing. They also have good intel on saltwater fishing as they are right there with the sport fishing boats, knowledgeable staff... Doug the manager has been in the tackle biz for a long time. They get special treatment from big name manufactures do to their location and the fact that many sponsor their boats, they are well financed!

G

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Terrible location to try and shop. I gave up after one time and just bought online from them. Brick and mortar is a tough place to be in some cases. Hope it puts them in a better long term position for success. Condensing back to one shop

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Fisherman's Landing tackle store does a lot of business too, they have a real good selection and deep inventory of gear, tackle and clothing. They also have good intel on saltwater fishing as they are right there with the sport fishing boats, knowledgeable staff... Doug the manager has been in the tackle biz for a long time. They get special treatment from big name manufactures do to their location and the fact that many sponsor their boats, they are well financed!

G
Only problem with fishermen's is , they have to charge the port excise tax. There prices are higher due to that, and because there the last point of sale before you get on the boat and discover you don't have the hot jig, floracarbon, hooks, or whatever else it might be. It's a great place to get dialed in at the last moment, great selection and great information relating to the latest trips. I've probably spent well over a hundred grand there over the years! Probably 5 grand in t-shirts alone!

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Only problem with fishermen's is , they have to charge the port excise tax. There prices are higher due to that, and because there the last point of sale before you get on the boat and discover you don't have the hot jig, floracarbon, hooks, or whatever else it might be. It's a great place to get dialed in at the last moment, great selection and great information relating to the latest trips. I've probably spent well over a hundred grand there over the years! Probably 5 grand in t-shirts alone!

Frank loves you....lol

I never shop at Fisherman's i rather do without.

ChipsAhoy

Jul 7, 2015
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
What boat
Hey guys, Jeff from Charkbait here! Although shop traffic has decreased, summertime business for us has been really decent actually! The dynamic of shopping has changed and a majority has switched to online (which is not done at our San Diego location). We appreciate everyone that has come in to our store, whether it was to stop by and check it out or to make a purchase. Eric does not work at Charkbait anymore (the one that is at 5 Star Fish Processing). Nate is the manager down here at the moment.

The reasons we are closing are:
1) Our Huntington Beach location has a change of staff where Mark's wife is taking care of shipping manager and office manager, and it has been more difficult for Mark to get out and down to San Diego to drop off inventory/orders that we did not have in stock here.
2) Lease expired and is going up again, we have had four lease increases in the 9 years we have occupied the space. We now pay double what we paid when we moved in 9 years ago.
3) Inventory dollars are better served at our headquarters, improves our on-line order fulfillment and time of delivery to customers.
4) Mark is getting older and is getting tired of the drive. He comes down 1-2+ times a week to drop off rods, orders, etc. That coupled with traffic and running the HB shop is taxing.

Thanks again everybody! Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
That sucks. It's always nice to have options when down there.

A lot of people, myself included, do not have a local shop with everything needed to fish SD.
Squidco has everything----Just about 1 mile from Charkbait.

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
Love Charkbait on-line. Not so sure about that "Taro" (?) spectra, but always get great service and products I am looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.