Shooting Sealions? NOT COOL!

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
Nonexistent
The MMPA needs to be changed. I had an experience over the summer with a deal knocking my kayak over to get the live bait that I had just purchased. This was actually one of the few times I had been out there alone. Usually I’m with my son so just to think that he had been out there with me is enough to make me anxious. And event like that would be enough to scar any kid into never going fishing again. Besides when it flips a yak it makes you think about how scared of humans they really are? If they are this bold against humans why are they protected when they are potentially dangerous. They Newport bait barge has to change or repair their predator nets around the bait pens 1-2 times every season. These thing are out of control. Besides we all saw the girl get pulled in off a dock in the northwest. Yet congress is more concerned about pissed of animal right activists than human safety. I mean WTF. But the rubber bullet thing is interesting.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Like it or not fishermen are a minority and the vast majority tourists and visitors adore them. Business owners that are tourist based and not fishing related seem them as a boon to their businesses. Here is part of an article just publised:
SAN FRANCISCO — Sea lions are increasingly living in parallel universes along the California coast, a disparity best observed amid the noisy, stinking spectacle that rolls out daily at San Francisco’s Pier 39 shopping center.
There, hundreds of these enormous, mostly male California sea lions bark, defecate, urinate and regurgitate, but they are immensely popular with tourists. As a result, the blubber boys are treated like royalty.
“The sea lions are a godsend: a natural attraction that’s phenomenal for business,” Sheila Chandor, Pier 39 harbormaster,
This sentiment prevails up and down the coast. They are seen as a bonus! So barring some catastrophic phenomenon reducing their population fishermen will get to deal with them like it or not!

Reactions: sickcat

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
In redondo the seal dock next to our bait dock sank...I was thrilled...
A few months later the city built another one also right next to the dock..
Sups,pedalboats and just about every vessel that goes in the harbor visits that thing and gets waaaaay closer than they should..
In the 7 or 8 years we were there shockingly no tragic incidents happened..
We used it as a finale for our harbor tours and the people loved it..
They say the revenue from that seal dock far outweighs any potential risk and unfortunately that seems true.

Seabass 5300

Jan 27, 2019
Inglewood
Name
Bryan
Boat
None
Having been followed by the darn things in the surf a few years back, thinking I am going to get in a situation in Malaga cove, I do not trust them. Having an elephant seal swim by me and beach himself on the rocks at Albion river, after seeing one bit in half in the same area. Those things live gnarly lives.
A pellet gun obviously serves no justice.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Now if someone would just invent an AK that is quiet as a pellet gun ..............

Reactions: Reel hip

Done_Deal

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
Most on this forum are likely not old enough to remember DR ROSS DOG FOOD. The prime ingredient was California Sea Lion. The company purchased animals that were by-catch from the many commercial fishing enterprises that were based in San Pedro in the 50s and 60s as well as they had their own boat that specifically targeted them. One of the owners of the company was a legend in the sportfishing industry.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I have a millennial guy on my work team who grew up in a small village in China. He’s on a quest to eat exotic dishes made from endangered animals. Keeps bugging me about getting him some Bear Paw from Montana. He also wants to eat those endangered giant salamanders (they farm raise them now). He freely admits that if the animal is a Chinese delicacy, they will eat them into extinction. To his credit, he says the shark fin soup is overrated and he won’t order it due to the harvest cruelty. I keep trying to convince him that sea lion is a delicacy.
When I was in China they chased down rats too.
Let's offer a tour group from China an all you can eat buffet starting at the bait dock

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Doctor Ross dog food is dog on good!! Ruff!!

haha I remember that jingle on tv

Reactions: RodRage

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
The MMPA needs to be changed. I had an experience over the summer with a deal knocking my kayak over to get the live bait that I had just purchased. This was actually one of the few times I had been out there alone. Usually I’m with my son so just to think that he had been out there with me is enough to make me anxious. And event like that would be enough to scar any kid into never going fishing again. Besides when it flips a yak it makes you think about how scared of humans they really are? If they are this bold against humans why are they protected when they are potentially dangerous. They Newport bait barge has to change or repair their predator nets around the bait pens 1-2 times every season. These thing are out of control. Besides we all saw the girl get pulled in off a dock in the northwest. Yet congress is more concerned about pissed of animal right activists than human safety. I mean WTF. But the rubber bullet thing is interesting.
Did this happen inside the harbor? Was it Newport Harbor? I’ve had pups try to climb in my yak to get cut squid in that harbor.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Like it or not fishermen are a minority and the vast majority tourists and visitors adore them. Business owners that are tourist based and not fishing related seem them as a boon to their businesses. Here is part of an article just publised:
SAN FRANCISCO — Sea lions are increasingly living in parallel universes along the California coast, a disparity best observed amid the noisy, stinking spectacle that rolls out daily at San Francisco’s Pier 39 shopping center.
There, hundreds of these enormous, mostly male California sea lions bark, defecate, urinate and regurgitate, but they are immensely popular with tourists. As a result, the blubber boys are treated like royalty.
“The sea lions are a godsend: a natural attraction that’s phenomenal for business,” Sheila Chandor, Pier 39 harbormaster,
This sentiment prevails up and down the coast. They are seen as a bonus! So barring some catastrophic phenomenon reducing their population fishermen will get to deal with them like it or not!
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the homeless drug addicts for a second there. Carry on.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Most on this forum are likely not old enough to remember DR ROSS DOG FOOD. The prime ingredient was California Sea Lion. The company purchased animals that were by-catch from the many commercial fishing enterprises that were based in San Pedro in the 50s and 60s as well as they had their own boat that specifically targeted them. One of the owners of the company was a legend in the sportfishing industry.
I remember Dr Ross dog food, but do not remember sea lions being an ingredient. We should return to those times. I was born in ‘62.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
I love my Avatar even more now....

we need to allow Natives the right to harvest like they do in Alaska. I buy seal skin stuff when Im there just to keep the demand up...

Reactions: marlyn and One_Leg

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Oh that's right because San Francisco is the only city with a homeless drug addict problem.
LA is trying to catch up, but right now SF gets top honors for policies that destroy the quality of life for law abiding tax payers. But, to keep the lead, SF will not enforce public urination statutes, or anything else that is a nuisance to the homeless -- I suppose that include deification, and we know it includes shooting up and tossing the AIDS and hepatitis infected needle where a law abiding tax payer can get infected. Even so, I have faith in our fearless local (LA) leaders -- they will come up with something to show they care more about the homeless.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
LA is trying to catch up, but right now SF gets top honors for policies that destroy the quality of life for law abiding tax payers. But, to keep the lead, SF will not enforce public urination statutes, or anything else that is a nuisance to the homeless -- I suppose that include deification, and we know it includes shooting up and tossing the AIDS and hepatitis infected needle where a law abiding tax payer can get infected. Even so, I have faith in our fearless local (LA) leaders -- they will come up with something to show they care more about the homeless.
I did not mean this to become a debate about homeless my original comment was about Pier 39 and other city cultivating tourism using Sea lions as an attraction. However if you look at homeless populations between the the two cities based on the state's last year count SF has 9800 homeless and LA has 59,000. So LA is winning in that department! But again there more cities in favor of sea lions to attract visitors than against.

Last edited: