PENN

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Left Tuesday evening on a limited load 1.5 day aboard the Shogun with my Wife, my Son, and my two fishing buddies (one my Bro-inlaw, one a long, long time friend). Boat got bait while we all checked in, we left the dock at 7pm and headed south, way south.

Once again it felt great to be free of the crazy ashore. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset and a small bowl of crazy good beef stroganoff. Seas where calm with a light roll as I finished some rigging. It was going to be mostly 25lb set-up and maybe 50lb sinker rigs and flat falls. I also brought some bigger stuff that wasn't needed.

We talked some then hit the rack about 9pm to make it to 5:30am breakfast. My son decided he wanted the bottom rack though he could barely fit.

Breakfast was huge, more than any of us could eat, but it was outstanding. Hit our first paddy just before 7am and got a good hit on yellowtail and a few dorado. My buddy scored one of the dorado's and both caught several yellowtail. My wife caught a good yellowtail and so did my son.

I didn't fish, I helped them. Once I casts my Wife's baits out I stayed with my son, he has some special needs including mild Cerebral Palsy which effects the motor skills in his hands. My wife hasn't fished in awhile and forgot how hard they pull. My son had a smile that wouldn't quit.

We had a small hit on Bluefin but the Big Bonita made it difficult to get to them. A couple Yellowfin stops one short lived one a longer pick bite. The Captain helped my wife out and she caught a nice 20lb Yellowfin, she's caught much bigger in the past but it gave her a work out on a 9' jig stick and a little Torium. My son caught a 20lb Yellowfin too, he also caught a nice yellowtail on one of the last stops of the day, that kept making runs into the weeds.

It was a decent trip. All four that fished out of the 5 of us caught fish. As usual, my Wife out fished me. Never really had a wide open bite, it would have help if we had (doesn't it always).

I've fished with Captain Rene a few times, fishy Captain who goes the distance. He's soft spoken and was easily the most helpful crewmember when he was down working the deck. Several times I had to ask other crewmembers to help my wife out (I was with our son), kind of a pet peeve for me and one of the reasons she only goes on a long range boat with me, even if only a 1.5 day. She always outfishes me but doesn't fish often and needs a hand especially with casting. Long range crews are usually overly helpful. When I was on the Searcher 2 weeks ago they were very helpful with people.

The Chef was amazing, I mean amazing, but could have easily cut portion size a little. He was by far the most sincerely friendly crewmember. Bob Marley (not his real name) was very entertaining on the bait tank and took a couple pics for us.

Fishing, light line and small hooks down south right now. Sinker rigs worked a few times, basically if my son and I were fishing the sinker rig, they hit the flylined baits and as soon as we switched to flyline they hit the sinker rigs. One or 2 came on colt snipers and the Dorado keyed in on jigs cast towards the kelp (how my fishing buddy got his). Boat is a great fishing platform with pretty good tackle storage. I already have other trips scheduled but will probably look elsewhere when my wife wants to go.

20200703_124923.jpg

20200703_124955.jpg

20200703_202233.jpg

20200703_202306.jpg

20200703_202340.jpg

20200703_202409.jpg

20200703_202438.jpg

20200703_202517.jpg

20200703_202547.jpg

20200703_202655.jpg

20200703_203646.jpg

20200703_202622.jpg

20200703_202813.jpg

20200703_202929.jpg

20200703_203112.jpg

20200703_203147.jpg

20200703_203308.jpg

20200703_203346.jpg

Upvote 0

moezmoe

Dead Magic
Aug 23, 2004
San Diego
Name
Moe
Boat
The one im on
Left Tuesday evening on a limited load 1.5 day aboard the Shogun with my Wife, my Son, and my two fishing buddies (one my Bro-inlaw, one a long, long time friend). Boat got bait while we all checked in, we left the dock at 7pm and headed south, way south.

Once again it felt great to be free of the crazy ashore. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset and a small bowl of crazy good beef stroganoff. Seas where calm with a light roll as I finished some rigging. It was going to be mostly 25lb set-up and maybe 50lb sinker rigs and flat falls. I also brought some bigger stuff that wasn't needed.

We talked some then hit the rack about 9pm to make it to 5:30am breakfast. My son decided he wanted the bottom rack though he could barely fit.

Breakfast was huge, more than any of us could eat, but it was outstanding. Hit our first paddy just before 7am and got a good hit on yellowtail and a few dorado. My buddy scored one of the dorado's and both caught several yellowtail. My wife caught a good yellowtail and so did my son.

I didn't fish, I helped them. Once I casts my Wife's baits out I stayed with my son, he has some special needs including mild Cerebral Palsy which effects the motor skills in his hands. My wife hasn't fished in awhile and forgot how hard they pull. My son had a smile that wouldn't quit.

We had a small hit on Bluefin but the Big Bonita made it difficult to get to them. A couple Yellowfin stops one short lived one a longer pick bite. The Captain helped my wife out and she caught a nice 20lb Yellowfin, she's caught much bigger in the past but it gave her a work out on a 9' jig stick and a little Torium. My son caught a 20lb Yellowfin too, he also caught a nice yellowtail on one of the last stops of the day, that kept making runs into the weeds.

It was a decent trip. All four that fished out of the 5 of us caught fish. As usual, my Wife out fished me. Never really had a wide open bite, it would have help if we had (doesn't it always).

I've fished with Captain Rene a few times, fishy Captain who goes the distance. He's soft spoken and was easily the most helpful crewmember when he was down working the deck. Several times I had to ask other crewmembers to help my wife out (I was with our son), kind of a pet peeve for me and one of the reasons she only goes on a long range boat with me, even if only a 1.5 day. She always outfishes me but doesn't fish often and needs a hand especially with casting. Long range crews are usually overly helpful. When I was on the Searcher 2 weeks ago they were very helpful with people.

The Chef was amazing, I mean amazing, but could have easily cut portion size a little. He was by far the most sincerely friendly crewmember. Bob Marley (not his real name) was very entertaining on the bait tank and took a couple pics for us.

Fishing, light line and small hooks down south right now. Sinker rigs worked a few times, basically if my son and I were fishing the sinker rig, they hit the flylined baits and as soon as we switched to flyline they hit the sinker rigs. One or 2 came on colt snipers and the Dorado keyed in on jigs cast towards the kelp (how my fishing buddy got his). Boat is a great fishing platform with pretty good tackle storage. I already have other trips scheduled but will probably look elsewhere when my wife wants to go.

View attachment 1165911

View attachment 1165912

View attachment 1165913

View attachment 1165914

View attachment 1165915

View attachment 1165916

View attachment 1165917

View attachment 1165918

View attachment 1165919

View attachment 1165920

View attachment 1165921

View attachment 1165922

View attachment 1165923

View attachment 1165924

View attachment 1165925

View attachment 1165926

View attachment 1165927

View attachment 1165928
Wow,great family time right there!!!!!Try Royal Star

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

View attachment 1165911

View attachment 1165912

View attachment 1165913

View attachment 1165914

View attachment 1165915

View attachment 1165916

View attachment 1165917

View attachment 1165918

View attachment 1165919

View attachment 1165920

View attachment 1165921

View attachment 1165922

View attachment 1165923

View attachment 1165924

View attachment 1165925

View attachment 1165926

View attachment 1165927

View attachment 1165928
I'm glad you had A good Trip with the Family,
in the future, you should check some Six pack Boats,
with less Anglers
they will have more time to help your Wife out.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A

View attachment 1165911

View attachment 1165912

View attachment 1165913

View attachment 1165914

View attachment 1165915

View attachment 1165916

View attachment 1165917

View attachment 1165918

View attachment 1165919

View attachment 1165920

View attachment 1165921

View attachment 1165922

View attachment 1165923

View attachment 1165924

View attachment 1165925

View attachment 1165926

View attachment 1165927

View attachment 1165928
Nice write up. Great pic of your son on that kelp paddy fish. Always like the shots of the boat wake. Can be interpreted as anticipation on a jig strike or just the end of a good day and you are running for the barn.

John

John

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

TahmiJoh

Aug 7, 2017
Long Beach CA
Name
Tommy Dyo
Boat
Grand Prize
Went a few weeks ago, and I have finally lost the weight I gained on a 1.5 day trip! Their food was CRAZY great and crew was awesome. Got my first BFT over buck. The way they treat the fish (gilled/gut before the RSW) made it the BEST tuna we've had. You pics and report are awesome!

Reactions: Olddog8 and jer dog
Upvote 0

stella marina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    great read!
    good time with the family.