Shogun Tyler Rich RP knot vs John Collins version

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by craigen, Nov 17, 2017.

1. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    Anybody have any feedback on these different ways of tying the RP knot? Shogun video version has more tight wraps and is seated by sliding wraps toward end loop then wrapping spectra tag around something for final tension. And it seems to matter how the tag exits the loop.

2. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17
    Yes I would be interested in different methods to tie the RP knot as well? It's easy to tie but disappointed it pulled out on a nice fish. I'm thinking I didn't cinch down the tag end hard enough. I used the Shogun video version.

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I tie this knot exclusively and used it up to 130#. The devil is in the details. Do your back wraps cross perfectly and symmetrically or not, do you use the same number of wraps both up and down, do you line up the flouro parallel like a double barrel, and do you pull it using pullers or by hand? All of these things matter in my experience and I have not broken one in the water (but I have with pullers on the boat when it wasn't done perfectly ).

The cinching down to me has to be done in steps. First all tag ends get pulled evenly. Next I trim down the two unused pieces (not too short on the spectra, leave a 1/2") now pull the two mains hard. You'll be surprised how much the spectra starts pulling into the knot. Sometimes that 1/2" becomes less than a 1/4" when using pullers. Trim flouro all the way to the knot, leave 1/8" on the spectra and you are done. I used 6 turns on 100# and got a 360# yellowfin. It works.

Added...the spectra exits the loop in the same direction.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    esgeo, Whalebreath, craigen and 3 others like this.
  4. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    whats the difference? cant fin a video on the Tyler Rich RP

5. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Shogun website, scroll to the bottom for Crew Tips. He’s using the handle of his pliers to pull the standing end of the spectra, not the tag end. Looks like about 9 wraps up and down and very close together.

6. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    Thank's I checked it out, makes me want to be out there! I tie mine similar but double the spectra

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    When Jimmy Albright invented the knot back in the 1930's he used twenty wraps up and another 20 back down to make a Chinese finger-trap knot that would connect Dacron to the fly fishing leaders he was using. All of the dozens of variations that have been promoted since then all have the same principle no matter how the numbers of turns vary. And fishermen have a rich and long-standing tradition of making a slight adjustment to something and re-naming it. No big deal. I saw the knot called "the Alberto" on a U-Tube video recently. I had to laugh.

Like Kevin said in his first paragraph, you need to take a bit of care in the basic details. Line the mono or fluoro legs up parallel in your hand, wrap the braid down leaving a little bit of space between the wraps so that the wraps going back up toward the reel can sit in those spaces, put the braid back through the same way that it started so that you have a little half-circle of mono across the top, and pull evenly and steadily and finally HARD to cinch the knot. I leave the legs of the mono until after the cinch because on any mono or fluoro over 40 pounds test I use a tape-wrapped wooden dowel to wrap the plastic line around and pull hard, locking down the reel spool at the same time with my other hand. After I'm satisfied with the knot, at that point I trim the tags on both sides of the knot. The number of turns is higher with smaller lines, just as with almost any kind of knot. But five or six down and an equal amount back is all that you need for 90% of the connections you will make. Not many people connect very light braid to heavy mono, or vice-versa.

8. gregory

gregory Member

Name:
    gregory
    Boat:
    float tube
    Instead of making my own tape wrapped wooden dowels to tighten my knots, I bought some tighteners from [email protected]. Try Google using "fishing knot puller" and eBay has his tighteners. You can test your knots before the big really fish tests your knot. Don't forget to wet your line before pulling.

T.O.T.W. and Olddog8 like this.
  9. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    3/4 Schedule 40 PVC cut to desired length with shrink wrap also works well

terrace and Olddog8 like this.
  10. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
  11. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Purchased wooden dowels and wrapped them with non-gloss duck tape. Works great. $7 for 36inch dowel can make several pullers.

12. biggbass

biggbass Newbie

Name:
    chrisman
    Boat:
    18'6"rangerbassboat
    I used my partners finger as a puller....... He only let me do that once though.

Johnny J likes this.
  13. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
  14. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond

15. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    The best video, that I've seen, of the knot you are interested in is this one:

Call it whatever you want to. I've given up on trying to tell people that it's a Modified Albright or Crazy Alberto Knot. Give credit to whomever you wish. If you don't like this one, Google "Modified Albright" or "Crazy Alberto Knot" on Youtube.

Wendell Fox and FishRock like this.
  16. lacostilladan

lacostilladan Newbie

Name:
    Dan rich
    Boat:
    which one?
    That's my boy!