SHOGUN trip coming/ Wind forecast, when do LR trips get canceled

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
I have an upcoming trip on SHOGUN (6 day), wind forecast looks bad for most of trip 25+, 2 nice days, 4 howling days. At what point do they cancel and reschedule?

Anyone done a trip down there with strong wind? Is it a place you can hide behind the island and still get good fishing? Will this be a waist of time or is wind not as big a factor?

Thanks for any insight, excited and bummed at same time.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
IT all depends on the direction of the wind if you will find shelter on the lee side of the island.....which days are the "nice" days...?

I have been on a 15 day where the wind blew day and night 15 to 20 knots the entire trip except for the last day before hitting San Diego.....but the fishing was outstanding.....

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
A 6-day trip is likely to go to Guadalupe Island. Depending on the wind direction, there’s a good chance they can fish in the lee. Almost certain they could anchor in the lee for a good night’s rest. Travel to and from the island could be pretty sloppy though. If the island is ruled out, they could also head down the coast to fish for YT. The wind is frequently lighter close in to shore. The Shogun is nice and wide. Chances are good you will be just fine.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Are you leaving the day after Thanksgiving? The Windy.com wind models at Guadalupe are looking quite calm through this Sunday. The crossing may suck, but looks good on the lee side.

redsnapper517

Well-Known "Member"
May 20, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Royal Polaris
I have an upcoming trip on SHOGUN (6 day), wind forecast looks bad for most of trip 25+, 2 nice days, 4 howling days. At what point do they cancel and reschedule?

Anyone done a trip down there with strong wind? Is it a place you can hide behind the island and still get good fishing? Will this be a waist of time or is wind not as big a factor?

Thanks for any insight, excited and bummed at same time.
Where are you getting your Info .
I just looked and it doesnt look to bad ! When is your trip leaving ?

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Captain's job to assess the status and decide if it will be safe and fishable and when to call it. Your responsibility to know that it might not be the nicest ride you have had and decide for yourself if you are willing to deal with it or call it on your own.

There is no set formula, you are simply putting your trust in the captain and crew to have good judgment. They want to come home safely with a group of happy anglers just as much as you do.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
it's a big boat.... :rolleyes:

I've been at the rocks when we were getting tossed out of our bunks on the RR3, but nobody cared (except the cooks) cause the fishing was good. It was uncomfortable, but not "unsafe".

I think what you are asking is if there is a certain weather threshold that would cause the boat to cancel the trip........and I'd have to say, that is going to depend on the boat and the captain.......

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Are you leaving the day after Thanksgiving? The Windy.com wind models at Guadalupe are looking quite calm through this Sunday. The crossing may suck, but looks good on the lee side.
Chris , my Friend Keith is on the same Trip that you Guys
did 2 Years ago, its 10 too 14 today
and 7 too 10 tomorrow ,
I told him anything under 10 is Fine.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Been out in 40+ and didnt get cancelled.... so I think its safe to say you will be out fishing. Enjoy.

Reactions: larry dickson

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
Where are you getting your Info .
I just looked and it doesnt look to bad ! When is your trip leaving ?
We leave day after Turkey day, looks nice getting there, looks like a nice day of fishing before wind sets in.

Wind alert shows the beginning of the system, the forecast is 7 days out. Beyond that I'm using the offshore swell and wind models. There is system that will effect the area for several days:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecasts/southern-california/outer-waters_90175/

http://www.windalert.com/map#23.84,-111.83,6,1,!168012,2

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
We leave day after Turkey day, looks nice getting there, looks like a nice day of fishing before wind sets in.

Wind alert shows the beginning of the system, the forecast is 7 days out. Beyond that I'm using the offshore swell and wind models. There is system that will effect the area for several days:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecasts/southern-california/outer-waters_90175/

http://www.windalert.com/map#23.84,-111.83,6,1,!168012,2
just Bring some Heavier Sinkers With you, in case

Reactions: stairman

chamackO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
I just fished the Shogun trip that came back on 11/17. It blew 20-30 our entire trip... sometimes felt more during early mornings. Boat is low and wide. You'll be fine and you def want to be out there. We fished in the lee in line with 5 other long range boats - quite the sight.

Your bigger concern is whether the current is right. When the current materialized for us, the fish bit without any regard of the wind... last day we had some stronger current and we landed almost 20 and hooked 3x that many. Belly hook the baits so they swim deeper and avoid the wind waves and hope they eat the bigger macs that can swim with heavy wind resistance on the braid. Boat will swing a lot in the wind and after heavy chumming, the bait will end up in the bow. This is where you want to be to avoid tangles and minimal swinging. Walk your bait up and underhand it before the house. Just make sure your cap is snug because a few anglers up there lost theirs but got bit.

Lastly, don't go crazy with with drags if you're at the bow. High drags, big fish, and major up/down movement in the wind resulted in pulled hooks and broken lines.

We hardly fished for YT, but I went up to 24oz for dropper loop.

PM if you have more questions.

Reactions: greatbasin

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Chris , my Friend Keith is on the same Trip that you Guys
did 2 Years ago, its 10 too 14 today
and 7 too 10 tomorrow ,
I told him anything under 10 is Fine.
I’m on the one after him. Tell him I’ll see him at the dock.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
generally the wind below the surface is greatly reduced

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
I just fished the Shogun trip that came back on 11/17. It blew 20-30 our entire trip... sometimes felt more during early mornings. Boat is low and wide. You'll be fine and you def want to be out there. We fished in the lee in line with 5 other long range boats - quite the sight.

Your bigger concern is whether the current is right. When the current materialized for us, the fish bit without any regard of the wind... last day we had some stronger current and we landed almost 20 and hooked 3x that many. Belly hook the baits so they swim deeper and avoid the wind waves and hope they eat the bigger macs that can swim with heavy wind resistance on the braid. Boat will swing a lot in the wind and after heavy chumming, the bait will end up in the bow. This is where you want to be to avoid tangles and minimal swinging. Walk your bait up and underhand it before the house. Just make sure your cap is snug because a few anglers up there lost theirs but got bit.

Lastly, don't go crazy with with drags if you're at the bow. High drags, big fish, and major up/down movement in the wind resulted in pulled hooks and broken lines.

We hardly fished for YT, but I went up to 24oz for dropper loop.

PM if you have more questions.
Thanks for the direct and no BS reply.