Shogun - Police

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
I've seen and dealt with enough drug use to have a very good understanding of it.Where there's smoke there's fire.
It is possible that they came in contact while cleaning the boat. The truth should come out.

• Haha
Reactions: PaDDy Killer'

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
About the drug testing thing...
My buddy has to be tested once a year to maintain his 100T license.
Pretty easy,,,, Deckhands need to be tested before being hired and at least once a year. Problem solved.
Once a year is part of the problem.They know it's coming.Random every few months would help.No notice of a test,somebody shows up and you get tested.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It is possible that they came in contact while cleaning the boat. The truth should come out.
Well if that's the truth i would think we'll be hearing about it real soon.I won't hold my breath waiting.I find it very hard to believe four guys simultaneously had accidental contact with enough Fentanyl laced drugs to OD.I also doubt much truth will come out.This is one of those things where it's purposely swept under the rug and forgotten about.I hope these guys are okay,get help and were scared straight by flirting with death if this was purposeful drug use.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Once a year is part of the problem.They know it's coming.Random every few months would help.No notice of a test,somebody shows up and you get tested.
Yup, I agree, keep 'm on their toes.
I used to do a lot of LR during the mid 90's through the mid 00's and never saw any drug use of any of the deckhands. The only thing I saw was one of the cooks on one of the boats I fished would get up late after everyone was bunked and get into their booze stash that they left out in the galley and get totally trashed. He wasn't on the boat the next time I fished it.

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Yup, I agree, keep 'm on their toes.
I used to do a lot of LR during the mid 90's through the mid 00's and never saw any drug use of any of the deckhands. The only thing I saw was one of the cooks on one of the boats I fished would get up late after everyone was bunked and get into their booze stash that they left out in the galley and get totally trashed. He wasn't on the boat the next time I fished it.
I had a similar experience he had been warned . A crew member saw him the cook helper drinking and told the Capt. Nice guy the cook Helper. Capt fired him

InDeepShip

Nov 5, 2017
SD
Name
Adam
Boat
N/A
Working in the maritime field with a license this is how it is for larger ships. You get an email in the morning to go pee in a cup.

Reactions: plj46

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
When I used to drive a truck the state lab truck would show up unannounced for urine and blood test. When the tougher commercial driving laws came into effect back in the early nineties the company lost several drivers. If a driver refused the test his employment was terminated. If off work for illness you crawled you ass out of bed when the company called you for your test. The only way one got out of the test was to be on vacation or in the hospital.

mike carson

Jan 18, 2007
glendale
Name
mike
Boat
17ft bayrunner
Working in the maritime field with a license this is how it is for larger ships. You get an email in the morning to go pee in a cup.
Its a drug thats so dangerous,100 times stronger than morphine,the worst thing is , its contagious. My brother in law is a paramedic and when they get a call about some homeless guy passed out on the sidewalk, they assume he is on fentanyl. because if they touch him or breathe around him without gloves and a mask,theyll be going to the hospital too,so ....this shit is no joke

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I guess it isn't impossible that one dude is found not breathing... And the others administer CPR... But the odds of that are pretty low... You wouldn't take over for a guy that just passed the fuck out. Wonder if thats why CPR has changed so much from when I first learned it... the right way

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
In commercial trucks, that is exactly what happens. They don't want a stoned driver piloting an 80,000 rig at highway speed taking out a school bus. Seems very logical for sport boats.

Reactions: Rocket Dog

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Screenshot from 911 Video. She’s an interesting person. Why is she there?View attachment 1204441
I thought the same.

So, here’s another opinion from the cheap seats. I’d be surprised if this were anything other than some crew members doing a bump finding out the hard way that fentanyl is some serious stuff. That being said, they should be fired. Best case, they’ve cost the Shogun a 3 day trip that had to cancel, done damage to the boat’s reputation, and potentially opened the owners to investigations that could result in fines, loss of insurance carriers, etc. Worst case, someone could have died, either directly, or indirectly later on due to crew members being loaded.

Now here is where it’s complicated for me. My first 20 years in law enforcement, I would have written it off as “fucking junkies rolled the dice..” But in my last 5 before I retired, I started seeing it wasn’t just a hype in an alleyway anymore. It was high school athletes, nurses, stay-at-home moms, teachers, and even fellow LEO’s. Thank big pharma for introducing serious opiates, via oxy, to America.

Now these guys probably didn’t get picked up by the Shogun because they are slap-dicks. No doubt, they worked a minute before getting their ticket punched for a LR boat. There’s guys on BD that would vouch for them as solid deck hands.

I’ll be honest; I’ve often thought to myself there has to be some extracurricular stuff going on to work 16-18 hours a day in tough, tough conditions, do a turnaround in a few hours, and do it all over again. Hell, I’m wiped from being on the rail all day. So, I don’t see it as surprising this happened.

But, I also don’t see these guys as addicts, or dopers, or junkies. Maybe in my old age I’m mellowing. I see them as having made some piss fucking poor choices that are going to have consequences for them going forward. I hope they got a wake up call and have the family and social support to get right. I hope one day they can return and maybe school a pin head not to be a fuck up, and to challenge those who might say it’s all cool.

We’ll see. But for now, they can stay far away from the landings.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
I was the guy in the video, Paul Carramao was the scheduled captain and he was taken away in a stretcher by the fire dept. You will not find him in the videos showing the remaining crew being question
Yikes, the captain/part-owner. I guess it makes sense, if the captain/owner is on something it's not surprising that the crew is as well.

Reactions: Ashearer76

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
About the drug testing thing...
My buddy has to be tested once a year to maintain his 100T license.
Pretty easy,,,, Deckhands need to be tested before being hired and at least once a year. Problem solved.
I have my 100ton and I'm also in a consortium and have never been called

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Trust and believe the testing system is broken they should go on weekly for a while the hole fleet

Reactions: kevina