fish4us

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 21, 2012
Escondido/CA/USA
Name
Susan Sloan
Boat
none
One thing about these drugs is no one uses heavy opiates like a recreational drug. It may start that way but it ends up taking over.

So were they using during trips?
I’m far more inclined to believe that they thought they were doing meth. Yes it tastea different but if it was laced with fentanyl that’s commonly known as a speedball.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
During the time of day that this happened there’s a good chance that they thought they were doing meth and it was laced with fentanyl. I come from the same place you come from and this seems the only logical explanation. Nodders on fishing boats are not nearly as common as tweakers
Ironically I had the exact same thought...

Anyone remember the 80's and early 90's on sportboats? Studio 54? no just go on an overnight trip..

Irishman

Irishman
Jul 20, 2004
La Mesa
Name
Alan
Boat
n/a
All I have to say is shame on us as a community to jump to assertions and assumptions. We (everyone on this post) were not there. So keep your bashing and blaming to yourself until you know the facts. Lives were saved this morning.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Making excuses is enabling. It’s well intended but It doesn’t help the addicts or the business.
Once the Coast Guard gets Involved, Shits gonna hit the fan and their existing "Drug Testing Policy" is a major slap in their face, Since they wrote the policy and how effective it's working! Your going to see a major change in their new policy, since the current one isn't fairing to well.

Reactions: rexor_rn

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
Usually no one is trying to use fentanyl, its used as cut in other drugs to make them stronger or to make pills into something they are not.

Most overdoses on fentanyl I have seen are someone trying to use what they thought was oxy, heroine, or another drug.

Let's not speculate on the reason why, or say i have seen deck hands who look out of it or on something. I lived in addiction for years , its my wife's profession, I also worked in it for a time. I cant spot someone high a mile away , and I see it everywhere all walks of life , it should surprise nobody if a deckhand was high anymore then your kids teacher. There are alot of functional addicts.

There are a million reasons someone reaches out for a crutch in drugs or alcohol, no one wants to be a addict, im positive the boat would have fired them if they knew, im guessing most boats drug test but nothing is 100%.

I work for a large company with tons of commercial drivers who get tested constantly and some slip through , ive seen multiple commercial drivers in big trucks arrested for dwi on the job. It wasnt the employers fault they take measures as im guessing the boats do.

Ita a sad situation, also scary, I hope the boat puts this past them learns something and gets back to fishing. I hope the long range community takes a closer look at possible issues. I hope maybe someone on this board thinks man I knew that crew all good guys wow I didn't see it, how? Then realizes maybe there is somebody in my life like that , that I dont see.

Ill get off my mis spelled terrible grammer soap box now, just something very personal to me.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Don't be such a pussy
Most of the posts here recognize that this occurrence ranges from unfortunate to tragic, with a healthy dose of "let's get all the facts first".

You, however, doctored a picture to create an un-funny and arguably racist post that adds nothing to the discussion. And when someone called you on it, you insulted him because there is no actual defense of what yo posted.

To paraphrase a previous poster: Don't be such a dick.

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I think The Dave Chappelle post was funny and added some lighthearted fun to the very disgusting thread. Recreational drugs on something as dangerous as a boat that carries customers is bad for all of us!
Some of you shitheads are worried about fucking masks!
I have yet to be on a sportboat and not see the crew vaping or smoking weed. I have been on boats where the crew is clearly on something stronger. I am sure plenty of you have seen this!
We as customers are paying a lot of money to take big risks.
I just wonder if the Dive boat had a druggie on fire watch when it killed all the customers.
Think about that when you defend addicts!

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
I was waiting to board. Renee was up on the dock, I never saw Brian at all. Ppl really need to chill out, it was a bad deal all the way around, I pray those guys are ok, and I should be chasing bluefin right now instead of sitting at home.
It was Paul owner operator

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Most of the posts here recognize that this occurrence ranges from unfortunate to tragic, with a healthy dose of "let's get all the facts first".

You, however, doctored a picture to create an un-funny and arguably racist post that adds nothing to the discussion. And when someone called you on it, you insulted him because there is no actual defense of what yo posted.

To paraphrase a previous poster: Don't be such a dick.
Kick back Karen my post had nothing to do with race you are the problem in this country

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
Thank you everyone for informing me of EXACTLY what happened, Once again, I have no need to wait for all of the facts. I have the internet. I'm looking forward to being told that I'm stupid and everything is obvious. Most likely, my political beliefs will be attacked although no one on this site actually knows how I vote.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
You guys wanting facts ? good luck with that.Some of you are in denial.We have some of the facts now but you're not paying attention.These people involved are responsible for your safety while out at sea.I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.We're never going to hear the full details.

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
I like the irony of the no weed sign on the dock, it needs a little updating. I've witnessed crew members on boats smoking/vaping weed after being given the zero tolerance safety briefing. I hope those guys who are in need of help, get it.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
This might be true, on it's own. But at the same time, is it so hard to to have some empathy? To understand the situation? To understand why a person might take pain killers? There is a saying (not sure if I first heard it from Seinfeld): "I don't like it, but I understand it."

It seem like as of late.... having empathy is a fleeting trait. Why is that?

If a person is recovering from an injury, or if a person works in certain trades (construction, bricklayer, uh.....fisherman) they get sore. They have sore backs, shoulders, yadda yadda. And they often have to keep working, unlike the blessed folks who can just say "hey boss, I'm using some vacation time." So the blue collar guy figures out how to work through the pain.

So if you are all "YAY, I support blue collar working man!" and turn around and say "how dare he try to deal with his physical pain or lack of sleep" to me, that sounds like a real lack of understanding of what that guy goes through. Again...;not saying it's an excuse, but "gee I kind of understand." Do you see the difference?

Sorry to sound preachy, but all this "throw them under the bus" mentality is really sad, coming from folks who....out of other side of face...say they support the fishing industry & the crews.

In closing, #1 hope is that these guys recover quickly.
You're thinking of that line we use for @Jason all the time, Not that there's anything wrong with that.

fish&snow

lurker
May 27, 2014
Name
James
Boat
Reel Freedom
It’s fucked up!!! Hope they get the true help they need to get off the bullshit! It’s a downward spiral using hard drugs. It takes everything away that is important to you.