Shogun - Police

cchris

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
We all hope this is true and times have changed. I can say first hand that while working in avionics hydraulic systems both for commercial & military there was some crazy drug use, even on the final assembly test line.
Let’s get some things straight if I may :
1. If you were a Hydro guy in military aviation you were as useless then as they are now ( that’s why the military is getting rid of that MOS )
2. You guys were most likely detail or borrowed military man power as actual mechanics ( 15T, 15 U a d 15R) would do most of the hydro stuff ( and still do) except struts
3. You must of worked in Vietnam in the 60’ because I already had 4 random drug tests this year ( one actually got me out of the PT test and saved me from running two miles that morning- only God and an urinalysis test can do that, so I was happy about that one)
4. There are cases of guys using drugs but they don’t last very long in the military as you have to work out in squad or platoon formation, interact with superiors every day and most times spend at least 12 hours in the company of other military members. Good luck not getting caught

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Where? Because you can fix that! And YOU should.
Vietnam in the 60’ or maybe California :)
All military bases have very rigorous testing platforms and from what I’ve interacted with military contractors I think their program is just as solid if not better. ( no greedy corporation wants to loose millions of $$$ over an employee) corporations working for the military are super ANAL about safety, to the point that they fire people frequently for safety violations ( like crossing the road 3 times without a safety reflective jacket or some small safety infraction ). Military contractors are there to make money not loose it through a lawsuit or loss of contract.

MARDIEGO

Sep 25, 2020
SAN DIEGO
Name
MARY KINGSLEY
Boat
PACIFIC QUEEN
Get this... the guy's name is... FISHMAN!

In NYC, while trying to come up with a way to treat constipation caused by chronic opioid use, that he invented naloxone, a medicine that temporarily blocks the effects of opioids in the body

It's a tragedy that Jack Fishman died without ever knowing the extent of his impact on saving lives from overdose. But then again, he was a humble man. Perhaps he would prefer to remain the unsung hero of overdose prevention.

Another great irony of his life, and one that would haunt him, is that Jack Fishman's stepson, Jonathan Stampler, died of a heroin overdose in Florida in 2004.

Interesting article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/meet-jack-fishman-the-man_b_6329512

ghettosled

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2016
Encinitas
Name
A-Salt-Weapon
Boat
Intrepid CC
So much speculation, misinformation, etc. At the end of the day, nobody on this page knows what really happened. I love the Shogun and the entire crew. Fish it often. It’s one of the best run boats in the fleet. I would go on it tomorrow. I’m thankful nobody lost their life (thanks to other crew members who administered CPR). This is a tragic event, and I can only hope the investigators do their job and those that need help can get it.

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
Be thankful they OD'd before you or your kids got on the boat. People's lives are in their hands. Had they not OD'd you would have been on a boat with a bunch of high dopers.

Just as I don't respect someone that decides to DUI, I can't respect someone willing to get high while having someone under their care.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
This thread went more off the rails than a runaway train... you people REALLY like to speculate, and speculation leads to false rumors, and false rumors lead to damage to reputation and business. How about we all wait until the whole story comes out, I'm sure there will be an investigation into this. Oh and don't trust the media, whether it's Faux News or Commie News Network, the media never has their facts/stories straight, sadly they're not really what one should consider a 'reliable' source anymore.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Drug use on boats is rampant, Most paying customers are not street wise n just wanna fish, guys bring the shit on board and hook up the deckies all the time... WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Last edited:

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Let’s get some things straight if I may :
1. If you were a Hydro guy in military aviation you were as useless then as they are now ( that’s why the military is getting rid of that MOS )
2. You guys were most likely detail or borrowed military man power as actual mechanics ( 15T, 15 U a d 15R) would do most of the hydro stuff ( and still do) except struts
3. You must of worked in Vietnam in the 60’ because I already had 4 random drug tests this year ( one actually got me out of the PT test and saved me from running two miles that morning- only God and an urinalysis test can do that, so I was happy about that one)
4. There are cases of guys using drugs but they don’t last very long in the military as you have to work out in squad or platoon formation, interact with superiors every day and most times spend at least 12 hours in the company of other military members. Good luck not getting caught
Guys your both wrong. This was a private sector manufacturing job back in the late 70’s.

Private company called Bertea in OC that was later purchased by Parker Hanifin.

We built the hydraulic systems that controlled flight surfaces and landing gear for many commerical and military planes.

I wasn’t the one jacked up and I took great pride in my work ethic since when I placed my final assembly test stamp on the valve or part I knew it was going to the manufacturing line or spare parts bin.

It was a great job and yes the amount of drugs and alcohol on the shop floor was mind boggling. A guy in the red oil line used to grow and sell mushrooms and guys were trippin along .

I was never a comfortable flyer though...

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Drug use on boats is rampant, Most paying customers are not street wise n just wanna fish, guys bring the shit on board and hook up the deckies all the time... WAKE UP PEOPLE!
I don’t doubt some of that goes on BUT you paint all of them with a broad brush. Theirs a bunch of clean hard working deckhands. I was around in the 80s and 90s and know what went on. Owner operators and captains can’t put up with that, users gotta go.

Reactions: sealskinner

mainline23

Jul 9, 2007
san diego
Name
mark
Boat
-
In the 80’s and 90’s?? Dude that’s was 30-40 years ago it’s 2020 now..... hahahahaha. Things have “changed” a little since then-

Reactions: geturrodbent23

mainline23

Jul 9, 2007
san diego
Name
mark
Boat
-
The Wild West is now- you can buy all types of drugs from all over the WORLD via the internet....easy peasy

Reactions: RodRage

tunacraze

Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
I don't see crew drug use on the boats anymore, but I might be oblivious too. I'm not sure Fentanyl would be very easy to hide. I do see weed pens with passengers, but whatever....

I will say this: I know Paul and I have fished with him several times on the Royal Star. He certainly earned his stripes for this gig. I think he decked on the Star for a decade or more. It would break my heart to learn that he was involved in this. I saw the video of the stretcher and I can't tell. Either way I wish them all well.

Deckhand on a sportboat may be one of the hardest jobs in San Diego. Not many want that job and there will be more than enough to weed out, but Paul was special. So, I will reserve judgement on this until I hear the facts. I certainly hope that it was not him.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Shogun Sportfishing

2h ·

Good morning guys!! Shogun returned this morning from a 1.5 day with near limits of BFT. They head back out today on a 3 day trip.
I know you all are wondering about the recent incident on the Shogun and we can’t say much at this time since it’s an ongoing investigation. But what we can tell you is that all crew members are alive and well and we will continue to run trips as scheduled. It was an unfortunate incident and those crew members are no longer a part of Shogun Sportfishing. The captains on upcoming trips will be Rene Monteagudo and his relief will be Jeff Debuys. Thank you all for your support.
-Shogun Crew

tuna332

Nov 18, 2011
encinitas/ca/usa
Name
eric
Boat
long range fleet
Shogun Sportfishing

2h ·

Good morning guys!! Shogun returned this morning from a 1.5 day with near limits of BFT. They head back out today on a 3 day trip.
I know you all are wondering about the recent incident on the Shogun and we can’t say much at this time since it’s an ongoing investigation. But what we can tell you is that all crew members are alive and well and we will continue to run trips as scheduled. It was an unfortunate incident and those crew members are no longer a part of Shogun Sportfishing. The captains on upcoming trips will be Rene Monteagudo and his relief will be Jeff Debuys. Thank you all for your support.
-Shogun Crew
capt. jeff debuys in the wheelhouse, i'll fish with that guy on any boat.

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
With that from the Shogun management. I can see this was supposed to be a recreational trip.
And yes the guys were dirty.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the truth to come out. And I could make my decision based on facts. They've been fired. That's facts enough for me.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
With that from the Shogun management. I can see this was supposed to be a recreational trip.
And yes the guys were dirty.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the truth to come out. And I could make my decision based on facts. They've been fired. That's facts enough for me.
At least they addressed the elephant in the room. Most would not. I give them credit for that.