PENN

Cgruwell

Jul 1, 2012
Escondido, CA
Name
Chad Gruwell
Boat
Shogun
Boarded the Gun at 4pm on Friday afternoon with a full boat. Captain Aaron switched this 2.5 day trip from a rock cod special to an offshore trip in search of these early tuna. After somehow getting a full load of quality sardines, we broke the point around 630 and were heading south.
After traveling all night with the Shoguns brand new CAT engines, we were to the grounds at 830 am. As soon as we reached that warm water Captain Aaron starts seeing large breezers everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! First stop nets a ton of that 30-40 lb quality BFT. We spend the next few hours picking these fish off and boy they werent shy. After it slows down, we move a bit and find that big fish...60-100+lb bft. We hit them hard and my 40lb flouro couldnt touch them, i broke off 3 fish (I wish i would have brought my 80lb rig). We set up the kite and the lucky ones who brought that heavy line were able to bring those monsters in. Finished day 1 with 131 bft (20 from 65-110 lbs), 4 yft, and 4 yt. Called it a night at dark and stayed around for day 2.

Right at greylight Aaron finds them again. They start throwing bait and the fish are everywhere. The few that were awake that early were able to pick up whatever they wanted for a few hours of a wide open bite. The rest of the day was spent cruising the area finding school after school. This day the bft were a little more picky but that worked out ok as we were all exhausted and beat up from these hard fighters. It got to one point where some guys were swinging these fish on deck and releasing them back out. By 130pm we decided to call it a trip and head in. Back to the docks at 530am on Monday morning with lots of fish to process.

Trip totals included 233 bft, 17 yft, and 4 yt. Shout out to Captain Aaron and the showgun crew, they are really first class. The cooks prepared some of the best food ive ever had! Looking foward to my next trip with this boat and its looking like the start of an epic season.
Btw, no paddies were seen. Here are some photos, didnt have much time to capture the craziness...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: karlk1125
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
this season is shaping up just like one a few years back when we had 100 plus Bluefin all summer long ...and it too was right before a big elnino like the one forecast...holy shit it's may and it is already this good??

Upvote 0

Blue Chummer

Apr 10, 2014
Name
Blue Chum
Boat
Hitchin' a Ride
Sweet , great report. Don't forget to bring those 60-80 lb Rigs. I will be bringing my Mak 16sea on the trips in case...

Upvote 0