Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Just got back into town late last night from a great trip aboard the Shogun. This was my second year on this trip upon arriving at the lading me and my friends who came down were greeted by old friends and I could tell it was going to be an awesome trip. After loading up and driving down to Ensenada were we checked into Mexican customs, which only takes a short time I'm guessing approx 20 minutes we were off on the 22 hour drive to Guadalupe island. Once we arrived at the island I didn't take more than a few hours to get a few biters, the tuna never really went WFO but there was a slow pick of fish with the Kite being very effective and consistently picking off fish. The crew said the bite was slower than the last several trips but the grade of fish was some of the best they had seen with a lot of fish going over 100lbs the biggest fish of the trip went 144lbs. The yellowtail fishing had tapered off and it was a slow pick I did a good amount of night fishing on the anchor and wound up getting 5 yellows with 2 in the 40lb class all on the dropper loop squid which someone had reccomened bringing in a previous post was my most effective bait. Overall it was an awesome trip I caught my PB Yellowfin just under 140lbs and yellowtail just over 40lbs. Tangles did claim some fish but the tangles that they crew were able to save had me in complete shock at times. The sharks didn't make an appearance till the very last morning when a 12ft Mako showed up for the breakfast buffet and ate around 6 to 8 fish in the course of an hour. Captain Aaron and Captain Russ are running a awesome boat the rest of the crew member Charlie, Greg and Dave couldn't have done any better job, I am already booked on the trip again next year.

For tackle I fished
Flyline outfit Phenix Rods 700xxh accurate dpx2-600 80lb spectra 80lb floro 4/0-5/0 owner super mutu
Dropper loop outfit Phenix rods 700xxxh avet exw30 100lb spectra 100lb mono with 16-24oz weight and 8/0 super mutu hook

Last edited:

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
wow, beautiful! Can you tell more about the accurate reel and rod? Was it the Dauntless 600 2 speed? Is that twin drag system as good as I have heard?

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Thanks for taking the time to write the report... I was wondering how the late December trip would do at the Lupe, I was on the early December trip and did well too. I'm booked on the 6-day for late November this year. Hopefully the weather pattern we have had this year holds for 2016 as fishing was off the charts at times. Glad to see your YELLOW Spectra was NOT a problem... most likely it was a plus for you in that you could differentiate your line from all the other white string in the water/tangle. Nice YFT and yellows... especially for late December within 5-6 day range of SD... congrats on a great trip!

G

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
wow, beautiful! Can you tell more about the accurate reel and rod? Was it the Dauntless 600 2 speed? Is that twin drag system as good as I have heard?
The rod was a black diamond hybrid 700xxh phenix its a very light weight powerful rod thats comfortable to fish with all day.

The reel is a older accurate dxp2-600 which is the boss extreme its a fairly small reel when talking in terms or 100lb plus fish I am unsure of the amount of drag it produces but it has absolutely no trouble taming big fish I landing my biggest fish just shy of 140 with this combo in approx 45 minutes. I would suggest this reel to anyone.

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
The rod was a black diamond hybrid 700xxh phenix its a very light weight powerful rod thats comfortable to fish with all day.

The reel is a older accurate dxp2-600 which is the boss extreme its a fairly small reel when talking in terms or 100lb plus fish I am unsure of the amount of drag it produces but it has absolutely no trouble taming big fish I landing my biggest fish just shy of 140 with this combo in approx 45 minutes. I would suggest this reel to anyone.
thanks for the info, what a blessing to have that quality of fishing on a 5 day trip at the end of December! I am looking at a bx2-600N. is that appropriate for that guadulupe fishing? Thanks

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
thanks for the info, what a blessing to have that quality of fishing on a 5 day trip at the end of December! I am looking at a bx2-600N. is that appropriate for that guadulupe fishing? Thanks
Personally I'd go with the 600 regular non narrow version for the increased line capacity of heavier 80 or 100lb spectra. I am by no means an expert that is just my personal preference.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I was on the trip and had a great time. The number of fish caught was not as high as the November trips I was on but the average size was better. I ended up with 6 including 2 that were well over 100 lbs. Great group of people on the trip. We had people from 17 to 70 years old and it was a really fun group. The crew really worked hard to put us on fish and did an excellent job handling tangles and other problems. The food was outstanding. Thanks Aaron, Russ, Dave and the rest of the crew for another great trip.

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
Congrats on a great trip and thanx for the write-up.

I am glad the squid worked as good for you as they did on our trip (left the day after Thanksgiving). I wish it was my idea, Mike T. in our group brought two boxes. I thought others going should know.

It amazes me that the Lupe continues to hold quality YFT that still want to bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: TOTW and Andy253

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Thanks for all the reply's guys already looking forward to the trip next year. Surprisingly the trip has already sold out, glad I got on it again. Not sure if we will fish the lupe again, but I am sure it will be a great time.

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Those yellers were some hawgz!
Great pic's.
Congrat's on a successful trip.
Let the decks run red with blood