Shogun/Bob Sands Tackle 8 day report

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fishordie, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Marc S

Marc S Captain

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    Inflatable
    Thanks Jaime:

Great report. I loved the write up and in particular, how you share information. I really enjoy learning the specifics about different techniques, and what worked on the trip. Your knowledge, enthusiasm, and passion come through with every post. Thanks for sharing!

Marc

2. Michael Hildebrand

Michael Hildebrand member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Any Long Range Boat
    Thanks Jamie, That was a joy to read, I have fished with you now and know who you are and have to say you are by far the best wahoo angler i have ever met, I had a great time talking to you about the old days i hope the long range industry will continue you never know if mexico will shut us out. We had some great stories and a great trip as always on my end the shogun is a great platform to fish from. So lets stay in touch and hope we can fish together on other trips Thanks again Jamie.

3. Martini Time

Martini Time Newbie

Name:
    Bob Perkins
    Boat:
    Not Decided Yet
    Jamie, Got the Verbal report from Sal yesterday at the shop..........You got him "Thinking Spinner now", just thought you should know. Glad to hear the TopShots worked........will talk later.
    BoB

4. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Hi Michael,

The pleasure was all mine. Finding anyone with as much experience in the industry, who can chat about the old days, is a treat. No doubt we will be chatting and sharing a rail again soon. Please call the Shogun and get your name in for next year as you are a great addition to any charter.

Jamie

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Thanks for the write up Jamie, looking forward to my 15 day 13 passenger trip in Nov. 2016 on the Shogun. For those who might be interested in an ultra low load trip on a boat and operation that is every bit as professional as Jamie described, there is more than a year to save!

6. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Bob, Sal is not just thinking it I'll bet he buys two. Spinners really are getting a lot of play at the shop for both short and long range.

Jamie

7. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    I FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHING I HAVE WANTED TO MENTION FOR A LONG TIME:

LET OTHERS KNOW YOU ARE COMING ON A WAHOO OR ANY OTHER SPECIES: How many folks have found themselves just minding their own business, fishing or casting at the rail or ?? and suddenly there is the proverbial bull in the china shop trying to nudge or whack you out of the way. That same bull is so fully concentrated on their reel, fish or feet they do not even know what or whom they just ran into or that you were even there in the first place. It is incumbent upon the guy on the fish to PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS AHEAD OR BEHIND THEM WHEN GOING UP OR DOWN RAIL. MORE IMPORTANTLY USE A STRONG VOICE (DIFFERENT THAN WAILING LIKE A BANSHEE), to warn those ahead that you are coming their direction. Though as I noted below, it is also incumbent upon those not on a fish to be aware of what is going on around them the only person who is at risk of losing the fish is the guy actually on the fish. Therefore, I suggest, you let everyone know, well in advance, you are coming up the rail while on a fish. Just as importantly, be aware, to the best of your ability, that those ahead heard your voiced intent to get past them so they can prepare to figure out on which side of them you will need to go. As a note, letting others know you are coming is not being an A-Hole, rather it is a form of respect, communicating as a team player and will create a better fishing experience for everyone since less folks will feel like a bowling pin and hold a grudge against the person that knocked into them.

Jamie

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    mikelts and Pangamaster like this.
  8. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I would be happy to try those out on my trip next week.

9. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Aren,

Glad to hear you are finally going to "Git Sum". You know I will be at the shop any time you need help.

Jamie

arenpilav41 likes this.
  10. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Along those lines there are some who are hearing challenged…….IMO those folks should be extra alert at the rail…. head on a swivel alert cause if they cannot hear someone giving a verbal warning it is IMO their responsibility to avoid collisions.

11. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Fishy, are you sure you do not want to re-read and then re-write your statement. In short you are stating that someone who does not hear a verbal warning has the responsibility to avoid the collision???? Isn't that like saying it was up to a deaf person to have heard you coming when there was a collision?? ROFLMAO. Perhaps in a perfect world everyone will know exactly what their neighbors are doing and how their current and future actions will influence the entire group but until then the guy who loses the fish to the guy who has not been fully warned or is not paying attention is still the loser.... of the fish. The guy that does not hear may lose a bit of dignity when he gets a stern look or talking to but that is all he loses. I fully expect that at least half the passengers (I think half is conservative but I am being nice) will be unaware of what is happening around them as they concentrate on the job at hand or day dream while on the rail. I stick with my premise, the guy on the fish needs to do his best to warn those up or down rail he is coming..... using the proper tone to their voice. Hopefully, the other folks will hear and act accordingly.

Love you maaaan.

Jamie

12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    No I am saying if you are hard of hearing or deaf….you should be paying extra attention at the rail…..do you think it is everyones responsibility to know of ones disability.

Otis2527 likes this.
  13. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Fishy,

As I said, in a perfect world...... Fishy, you must have just got off your bicycle. In this case deaf is a metaphor..... But in some weird and left handed way, we are saying the same thing.... in a different language. Thus the reference to the next paragraph in my initial soliloquy which discussed the need of those not on a fish to by aware. However, when was the last time you were on a Long Range trip where everyone was aware when not on a fish... all the time..Including You and I..... on occasion..... Rare occasion of course.

Jamie

Fishybuzz and Pangamaster like this.
  14. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Actually I don't think there is ever a need for a collision.....let people know your coming....if they can't hear you or didn't understand.....tap them on the shoulder and let them know.....I'd rather lose the fish than run someone over.....Collisions destroy the fabric of the teams cohesiveness and ability to work together. We have all had that moment where someone isn't getting out of your way quickly enough.....but how these situations are handled is the difference in good charters and great charters. As mentioned it's all about respect.....and yeah....getting out of the way is part of the respect.

Fishybuzz and dh515 like this.
  15. muymacho74

muymacho74 Surface Iron Maniac

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    After watching you slay the Hoo on those spinners I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on that trip ran out to buy them in hopes of catching half of what you got. Hell, I would be lying if I said I wasn't seriously considering it myself. Thank you, Sal, and all the other great folks on the Bob Sands Shogun 8 day for making it such a great trip. I look forward to sharing the rail with you again my friend.

mikelts likes this.
  16. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope

Speaking as an interested party (I'm pretty much totally deaf in my right ear due to an infection 10 years ago), as anyone who has fished with knows, early in the trip before we start fishing, like after the safety or rigging seminar, I make an announcement about my deafness to all the anglers. It helps, even though some forget or forget which side is my bad side (understandable), but even when someone forgets, it ends up building comraderie and being a bit of a conversation starter.

mikelts and Fishybuzz like this.
  17. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Brad, I too have a hearing loss, but due to racing boats. I try to let everyone know of this ahead of time too.

mikelts and Fishybuzz like this.
  18. themadog

themadog themadog

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    17, Arima, Sea Ranger
    Hi Jerry, I can't wait for these to go into production. The small version with the treble hooks would be da bomb up here on the Albacore!

19. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Jerry, You have my complete attention with these beautiful lures. For those looking for a blown up pic of the lures hit the "View Attachment" line above.

Jamie

20. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Yo Phil,

It was an absolute pleasure finally being able to fish with you after all these years. You, my friend, were and are born to be a jig slinger as you do, that hoo do, that you do, so well. I hope you are signed up for next years adventure.

Jamie