BD STAFF

Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego CA
Name
Advertising
Boat Name
none
BD Outdoors sponsored a limited load 4-day trip on the Shogun from Saturday 8/20 to Wednesday 8/24, and we saw some amazing Southern California summertime fishing! With 25 anglers, everyone ended up leaving the trip with a mixed bag of fish. We landed an assortment of BFT, YFT, YT, and Dorado over the course of 4 days.

Huge thanks to our partners at Dark Seas, Accurate, Seaguar, Costa, Nomad, Danco, Bubba, Calcutta, Grundens, Penn, and Huk for supplying our passengers with a variety of prizes! Everyone who came on this trip left with some new gear! Along with our new Mid-Summer Shirt Collection, each passenger was gifted prizes based on the day at hand. Those who put in rail time were rewarded for their passion for fishing.

Here is the breakdown of the trip:

Day 1: We left the dock around 10:30 am, and loaded the boat with some great bait from the barge in SD bay. We started south, to have a shot at the newly present spots of BFT just southwest of the Coronados. We made a quick pass through the islands to see if we could hang a few YT slugs right out of the gate, but no dice. We moved south and got to the BFT grounds in the afternoon. We steadily plucked away at fish from the early evening until our last stop around 2am. Knife jigs were the key to success in this zone. We saw a variety of BFT ranging from 40-100 pounds. The most common model was around 40-60 pounds, with a couple of heartbreakers spitting hooks at color that appeared to be over 150 pounds. We ended day one with 25+ BFT and 10 or so YFT. Most caught at night, marked deep on the sonar and biting knife jigs. Anyone who fishes sport boats knows, that fish count does not show the amount of fish hooked. We hooked 50+ fish on night one, but tackle failure seemed to get the best of many anglers.

Day 2: We woke up straight west of the islands. Time to kelp. We found one nice patty around 8am, and plugged the boat with near 4 day limits of dorado. THEY WERE HITTING. Almost every cast was a guaranteed bite, free swimmers all around the boat. With most of the fish biting the fly line sardine on 25-40 pound test, we ended up with over 100 fish, mostly dorado with a few YT mixed in. With the limitations of 2 dorado counting as 5 fish, skipper pointed us out west to make it to San Clemente Island before dark to fish for BFT without catching any more dorado. We passed several patties on the way out that were LOADED with dorado. Just at sundown we arrived in the BFT zone. Skipper put us on the big ones! Once again, from sundown until 2am, knife jigs were getting swallowed by a variety of BFT, the most common model being 60-120 pounds, with a handful of fish landed 150+ pounds. What a day of Southern California fishing! We had mackerel around the boat all night, broke out the sabiki rigs while making long drifts, and loaded the bow bait tank with green backs and spannies. This move by the crew paid off for day 3!

Day 3: Anyone who has fished in Southern California for BFT over the past decade can tell you, the fishery has changed. Night fishing and knife jigs are a relatively new way to target BFT. Day 3 was an old school ass kicking day of BFT fishing! Not only did we see the fish puddling and foaming, we saw them eating ALL DAY LONG. From 7am to sundown, we were surrounded by massive spots of fish and they were hungry! We hooked a variety of sizes of BFT on the kite, the flyline mackerel, flyline sardine, sinker rig mackerel, and sinker rig sardine. Most models falling between 40 and 120 pounds, we made multiple drifts and ended the day with 40+ BFT. Plenty of heartbreaks once again, just bluefin being bluefin. Every single passenger aboard the boat was stoked because we could see what was at stake all day long. Most importantly, we were hooking and landing fish on 50-80 pound flyline setups throughout the daytime. When was the last time you hooked that many BFT during the day on a flyline!? We are still floating from this experience, a 360-degree view of foam for nearly 10 hours. But, as bluefin do, they sank out and moved once the sun went down. On this night, no night bite. We ran all around trying to locate them, but no other boats were seeing them so we pushed further west to locate some YT slugs for the morning of day 4.

Day 4: Woke up at Tanner Bank to a variety of YT and smaller grade BFT. Flyline, surface iron, yo-yo, you name it, we plucked away through some unfavorable wind and chop and landed 20+ yellowtail all great grade. The most common fish was 12-15 pounds, with a few standouts 25+ pounds. If the sea lions weren't so active, we would have put another 40 yellowtail on deck. Classic Tanner Bank fishing. With day 3 looming in the back of our minds, we sent it back to SCI to find a few schools of the hungry BFT. Sadly, they were not very active compared to day 3. We saw a few small spots here and there, but they were extremely boat-shy. We fished hard, trying to run down schools and locate fish. No luck. Skipper pushed us to the last possible second, with a scheduled 5:30 AM arrival, we had to head to the barn.

The Captain, the boat, and the crew were great. From top-tier meals to deckhands putting in 20-hour days, they took care of EVERY passenger.

Thank you, Captain Rene, you run a great operation and you really know how to fish. We were stoked to host this charter on your boat. Shoutout to the second ticket, Speedy, for driving through the late hours of the night and early hours of the morning, stopping on schools, and keeping the stoke rolling! Cheers to deckhands Mason, Andre, and Dylan for helping all anglers land fish, swinging bamboo all day long and making sure everyone is aware of what is going on throughout the changes from spot to spot. Finally, massive thanks to Daniel and Mike in the galley! The food was off the charts, eating 5 meals a day of quality food truly allows all anglers to put in maximum rail time.

If you want to run and gun, jam out to great music, and pull on some great fish, we highly recommend fishing aboard the Shogun!
BD Outdoors will be hosting a similar charter aboard this boat next season, we will release the details in the coming months. If you want to rope with the BD crew, reserve a spot on our sponsored 2023 charter!

Here are a few photos from the trip!

Photo #1: Mike Murciano - Director of Content Development and Marketing at BD Outdoors

Photo #2: Cameron Gamble - Community Marketing Manager at BD Outdoors

Photo #3: Ira Waldman (INTERN IRA) - Junior Marketing Coordinator at BD Outdoors

Photo #4: Rene Monteagudo - Owner / Operator of SHOGUN SPORTFISHING

Mike.png

Cam.png

Ira.png

Rene.png

Oct 4, 2007
Northern Cal.
Name
Mark
Boat Name
20' Whaler - Backlash
Great report, well done, you captured the trip to a tee. Really appreciated all the great giveaways supplied by BD and your sponsors, especially the shirts as I hope to be wearing them on trips long into the future along with my old school BD shirts that I had on this trip. I had a great time fishing, hanging out and sharing stories you "young" guys and will definitely be watching for you to post the dates of next year's trip once you have it booked. One thought it would be great if there was a way to give the passengers on this years trip a short (maybe a week or two) first right of refusal for next years trip, just a thought. Thanks again for adding additional fun to what was already a great trip.

Upvote 0

fv1500

Fishn' Frank
  • Jul 6, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Great write and report. Great fishy boat and crew!

Reactions: CameronGamble
    Upvote 0

CameronGamble

Farmer
    Admin
  • Mar 30, 2022
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cameron Gamble
    Boat Name
    no
    Great report, well done, you captured the trip to a tee. Really appreciated all the great giveaways supplied by BD and your sponsors, especially the shirts as I hope to be wearing them on trips long into the future along with my old school BD shirts that I had on this trip. I had a great time fishing, hanging out and sharing stories you "young" guys and will definitely be watching for you to post the dates of next year's trip once you have it booked. One thought it would be great if there was a way to give the passengers on this years trip a short (maybe a week or two) first right of refusal for next years trip, just a thought. Thanks again for adding additional fun to what was already a great trip.
    It was great fishing with you! Such an epic trip!!

Reactions: NCalTunachaser
    Upvote 0

BD STAFF

Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports
    Jan 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Advertising
    Boat Name
    none
    When we have the details ready for next year's trip, we will reach out to those from this year and give them priority to book! Hopefully, it will be the same trip, same dates. Thanks for coming out!

Upvote 0
    Oct 4, 2007
    Northern Cal.
    Name
    Mark
    Boat Name
    20' Whaler - Backlash
    When we have the details ready for next year's trip, we will reach out to those from this year and give them priority to book! Hopefully, it will be the same trip, same dates. Thanks for coming out!
    Sounds great, appreciate the reply back.

Upvote 0

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
  • Apr 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    tomfowlks.com
    Name
    tom fowlks
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    What a great report!! Next best thing to being there for sure! You’ve got a way with the words Mike!!
    I’ve heard bits and pieces from Mason & Leah and with this report, it sounds like an AWESOME Trip!! Stoked for everyone involved!
    Makes me look forward to fishing soon!!

Reactions: CameronGamble
    Upvote 0