FLLR1

Almost A Member
Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Name
LT
Boat
Boston Whaler
After months of anticipation, my son and I left our home in south Florida on September 28 on a direct flight to San Diego. The 29th we were boarding the Shogun for a 5 day trip. When we originally booked the trip, we thought we were going to Guadalupe. For years, my 14 year old son (Griffin) had heard stories of my long range fishing trips on the San Diego boats and wanted to go to Guadalupe to battle the big yellowfin that were there. The permits never came through. I thought Griff would be bummed, but it did not deter his enthusiasm. We were going fishing.

Made it San Diego just before noon. Hotel let us check in early so we were all set. Ate some lunch and went to a tackle shop to pick up a few last minute items. Later that day, Griff wanted to go to the landings to see what the day boats had done. We say a bunch of 1-2 day boats come in with some small yellows. Not very promising, but we would be fishing much further south. 5 day trips had ventured as far down as the top of the Ridge. While we didn’t know where we were going, we hoped it would be good.

Woke up on Saturday morning and checked out of the hotel. Brought our gear the few blocks to the landing and checked in with Jen from the Shogun. Our trip was the Island Fishing Tackle sponsored trip. Checked in and started meeting the other passengers and Kevin Aguire from Island Tackle. We had an amazing mix of passengers. This included retirees, 50 year olds (like me), dad and his son (Bryce-18- who is going off to boot camp with the marines in a couple of weeks) and a dad, mom and daughter (16). Dad was a good fisherman-mom and daughter were better.

I had never been on the Shogun before. Honestly, after reading some of the recent reports about the boat, there was some trepidation. I won’t discount someone else’s experience, but with the exception of the layout of the bathrooms (2-of the 4 were designed by Stevie Wonder), the boat was very clean and in great shape. This boat is a very stable platform that rides really well. When the seas are up, I want to be on this boat. As we would soon find out, the boat is very fishy as well. We loaded our gear onto the boat and we headed for our stateroom. We had stateroom #1 in the bow. Not a lot of room in this one. However, beds were big and air was cold. We were set.

Within a short time, everyone loaded an off we went. Headed to the bait dock. My son found this fascinating because where we live in Florida, there are no big bait docks. There are a few boats that sell live bait in south Florida but there is nothing even close to the San Diego model. The preferred bait for us are google eyes. At $80.00 a dozen, you go out and sabiki or net your own bait. Griff watched in amazement as we loaded the wells and

headed out.

Captain Russ came down to the Galley and gave us the game plan. We were going well south. We would be in the zone the next day around mid-day. Lunch, snack and dinner were unbelievably good. Regular cook had the trip off. Sean from the Royal Star came over as the cook for our trip. He did not disappoint.

First day of fishing we were looking for tuna. I had been teaching Griff how to cast a sardine in our backyard for a couple of weeks before the trip. We talked about the tuna shuffle and how to watch out for fisherman throwing jigs. At the first trolling strike, I watched Griff to see if he remembered what to do. Apparently, he listened well. He was able to cast the bait out well and learned to go over and under people when he hooked a fish. Hooked his first tuna quickly. We have caught plenty of blackfin and skipjack in Florida over the years, but he had never caught a yellowfin. He was grinning ear to ear. We caught tuna for the next couple of hours. Tuna were not huge. They were all 10-22 pounds.

With plenty of tuna in the hold, Captain Russ set course for San Geronimo where we would anchor the night.

Set the anchor and we set up a couple of dropper loops. Tried fishing that night, but only got a few weak bites. Woke up early and got out on deck with Griff. I grabbed my dropper loop rig and lowered it down. The second ticket (Rene) came out on deck. I asked if there was anything on the scope. He said no. Within a few seconds, bait got inhaled. I wound tight. It was clear from the start, I hooked the right kind. A few minutes later, a nice 15 lb yellow hit the deck. Griff grabbed another rig and lowered a bait down. He got hit quickly and was surprised at the power of the fish. He had that Oh *&^% look. Took him a bit, but he got his up. Two other passengers got halibut. Other than that, nothing.

Captain Russ took us a bit farther out an anchored up. The bite started slow. Mostly little yellows at first. Almost all of them were released. A few bigger models began to show. The bite kept going for 6 hours. By the end, we had just short of limits of yellows up to 30lb. We also caught, 10-12 Bluefin, some monster sheepshead, bonito and some assorted bottom fish. We released just as many fish as we caught. There were 2-10 people hooked up most of the time during the bite. we released more fish than we tagged. People were using everything from 15-60lb outfits. About ¾ of the way through the bite, Griff hooked a solid one. 20 minutes later, he had the biggest yellow on the boat. Jed, the deckhand, was with him for much of the fight telling him what to do and how to do it.

I know the crews are always especially helpful to kids and women, but the Shogun crew was like that with everyone. If you were rigging anything, they would come up and ask if you needed help. If you needed anything, they were right there. Captain Russ, Rene, Todd, Jed and Julian were outstanding. I have been on 10 or so trips over 3 days. I am certainly no expert but I have a reference point. This crew is as good as it gets. Captain Russ runs a great boat and is very fishy.

Next two days. With solid numbers of yellowfin and yellowtail, we set out looking for some different species. We did a few drifts for cod (did very well on reds) and then searched for some paddies for dorado. Found a few but paddies were few and far between. Finished up the day with some tuna where we found them on day 2. Seas were pretty snotty. Wasn’t the easiest fishing, but we added more than a few to the hold.

Anchored at the same place as we did the previous night. We tried to fish, but the sea lions were relentless. That night, a few of us stayed up a bit. Captain Russ came down and we were all just sitting around talking. As to conversation progressed, he gave us a clinic on how to fish. He talked about all the factors that go into determining where to fish, what conditions he looks for, historical places that the fish come back to, etc... He answered all of our questions with extreme detail. I was thankful I stayed up.

Woke up the next morning and worked north. We were a long way from home and had to start heading north. Around 10 am, we were in the area that a number of the 2-3 boats and 4 or so of the long range boats were fishing for tuna. The tuna were everywhere. We caught what we could and kept traveling north. Trollers were brought in around 1 pm and we headed to the barn.

Tied up to the dock around 5:30. Crew took all of our gear up to the landing and then unloaded all of the fish. Griff wound up with the jackpot fish. Dream trip for him.

Food. As for the obligatory food report, the food was absolutely outstanding. We had everything from Tri-Tip, fillet, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, baby back ribs, grilled shrimp, etc.. No one was disappointed. The portions were so large, I had to ask for half orders on day 4.

Before ending this report, I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about my fellow passengers. While there were a number of repeats from last year, there were more than a few new people. That was probably due to some people bailing when they learned that the boat didn’t have Lupe permits. Anyway, what a great group of people. After having long conversations with one of the passengers, we discovered that he was a deckhand on the El Dorado out of Morro Bay when my dad took me out and I caught my first albacore back in 1977. Go figure. Great meeting you Chuck. I could mention something about every passenger. Erik, Ian, Mike, Leonard, Mark, Kylie, Bryce..................... They were all good people. I give a lot of credit to Kevin Aguire for the group. The chartermaster can have a big influence on the trip. Kevin’s friendliness and demeanor carried over to everyone. I will definitely fish one of his trips again. No group stuck with just their own friends. Griff and I ate meals with just about everyone on the boat. It felt like this was a group that had been together for year.

For my son’s first long range trip, we could not have chosen a better trip or group of people. I know Griff thinks he is the lucky one. His dad took him fishing, he caught more yellowfin and yellowtail than he could count and won the jackpot. However, the truth be told, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. I got to spend 5 days with my son fishing. We love fishing together and hanging out.

Bait dock.jpg Tuna.jpg Night Yellow.jpg Night Yellow-Dad.jpg Big Yellow.jpg Geronimo.jpg Rail.jpg Dock.jpg

Upvote 0

Jim Schmitt

Schmitty
Jun 11, 2017
Missouri
Name
Jim
Boat
Red Rooster
After months of anticipation, my son and I left our home in south Florida on September 28 on a direct flight to San Diego. The 29th we were boarding the Shogun for a 5 day trip. When we originally booked the trip, we thought we were going to Guadalupe. For years, my 14 year old son (Griffin) had heard stories of my long range fishing trips on the San Diego boats and wanted to go to Guadalupe to battle the big yellowfin that were there. The permits never came through. I thought Griff would be bummed, but it did not deter his enthusiasm. We were going fishing.

Made it San Diego just before noon. Hotel let us check in early so we were all set. Ate some lunch and went to a tackle shop to pick up a few last minute items. Later that day, Griff wanted to go to the landings to see what the day boats had done. We say a bunch of 1-2 day boats come in with some small yellows. Not very promising, but we would be fishing much further south. 5 day trips had ventured as far down as the top of the Ridge. While we didn’t know where we were going, we hoped it would be good.

Woke up on Saturday morning and checked out of the hotel. Brought our gear the few blocks to the landing and checked in with Jen from the Shogun. Our trip was the Island Fishing Tackle sponsored trip. Checked in and started meeting the other passengers and Kevin Aguire from Island Tackle. We had an amazing mix of passengers. This included retirees, 50 year olds (like me), dad and his son (Bryce-18- who is going off to boot camp with the marines in a couple of weeks) and a dad, mom and daughter (16). Dad was a good fisherman-mom and daughter were better.

I had never been on the Shogun before. Honestly, after reading some of the recent reports about the boat, there was some trepidation. I won’t discount someone else’s experience, but with the exception of the layout of the bathrooms (2-of the 4 were designed by Stevie Wonder), the boat was very clean and in great shape. This boat is a very stable platform that rides really well. When the seas are up, I want to be on this boat. As we would soon find out, the boat is very fishy as well. We loaded our gear onto the boat and we headed for our stateroom. We had stateroom #1 in the bow. Not a lot of room in this one. However, beds were big and air was cold. We were set.

Within a short time, everyone loaded an off we went. Headed to the bait dock. My son found this fascinating because where we live in Florida, there are no big bait docks. There are a few boats that sell live bait in south Florida but there is nothing even close to the San Diego model. The preferred bait for us are google eyes. At $80.00 a dozen, you go out and sabiki or net your own bait. Griff watched in amazement as we loaded the wells and

headed out.

Captain Russ came down to the Galley and gave us the game plan. We were going well south. We would be in the zone the next day around mid-day. Lunch, snack and dinner were unbelievably good. Regular cook had the trip off. Sean from the Royal Star came over as the cook for our trip. He did not disappoint.

First day of fishing we were looking for tuna. I had been teaching Griff how to cast a sardine in our backyard for a couple of weeks before the trip. We talked about the tuna shuffle and how to watch out for fisherman throwing jigs. At the first trolling strike, I watched Griff to see if he remembered what to do. Apparently, he listened well. He was able to cast the bait out well and learned to go over and under people when he hooked a fish. Hooked his first tuna quickly. We have caught plenty of blackfin and skipjack in Florida over the years, but he had never caught a yellowfin. He was grinning ear to ear. We caught tuna for the next couple of hours. Tuna were not huge. They were all 10-22 pounds.

With plenty of tuna in the hold, Captain Russ set course for San Geronimo where we would anchor the night.

Set the anchor and we set up a couple of dropper loops. Tried fishing that night, but only got a few weak bites. Woke up early and got out on deck with Griff. I grabbed my dropper loop rig and lowered it down. The second ticket (Rene) came out on deck. I asked if there was anything on the scope. He said no. Within a few seconds, bait got inhaled. I wound tight. It was clear from the start, I hooked the right kind. A few minutes later, a nice 15 lb yellow hit the deck. Griff grabbed another rig and lowered a bait down. He got hit quickly and was surprised at the power of the fish. He had that Oh *&^% look. Took him a bit, but he got his up. Two other passengers got halibut. Other than that, nothing.

Captain Russ took us a bit farther out an anchored up. The bite started slow. Mostly little yellows at first. Almost all of them were released. A few bigger models began to show. The bite kept going for 6 hours. By the end, we had just short of limits of yellows up to 30lb. We also caught, 10-12 Bluefin, some monster sheepshead, bonito and some assorted bottom fish. We released just as many fish as we caught. There were 2-10 people hooked up most of the time during the bite. we released more fish than we tagged. People were using everything from 15-60lb outfits. About ¾ of the way through the bite, Griff hooked a solid one. 20 minutes later, he had the biggest yellow on the boat. Jed, the deckhand, was with him for much of the fight telling him what to do and how to do it.

I know the crews are always especially helpful to kids and women, but the Shogun crew was like that with everyone. If you were rigging anything, they would come up and ask if you needed help. If you needed anything, they were right there. Captain Russ, Rene, Todd, Jed and Julian were outstanding. I have been on 10 or so trips over 3 days. I am certainly no expert but I have a reference point. This crew is as good as it gets. Captain Russ runs a great boat and is very fishy.

Next two days. With solid numbers of yellowfin and yellowtail, we set out looking for some different species. We did a few drifts for cod (did very well on reds) and then searched for some paddies for dorado. Found a few but paddies were few and far between. Finished up the day with some tuna where we found them on day 2. Seas were pretty snotty. Wasn’t the easiest fishing, but we added more than a few to the hold.

Anchored at the same place as we did the previous night. We tried to fish, but the sea lions were relentless. That night, a few of us stayed up a bit. Captain Russ came down and we were all just sitting around talking. As to conversation progressed, he gave us a clinic on how to fish. He talked about all the factors that go into determining where to fish, what conditions he looks for, historical places that the fish come back to, etc... He answered all of our questions with extreme detail. I was thankful I stayed up.

Woke up the next morning and worked north. We were a long way from home and had to start heading north. Around 10 am, we were in the area that a number of the 2-3 boats and 4 or so of the long range boats were fishing for tuna. The tuna were everywhere. We caught what we could and kept traveling north. Trollers were brought in around 1 pm and we headed to the barn.

Tied up to the dock around 5:30. Crew took all of our gear up to the landing and then unloaded all of the fish. Griff wound up with the jackpot fish. Dream trip for him.

Food. As for the obligatory food report, the food was absolutely outstanding. We had everything from Tri-Tip, fillet, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, baby back ribs, grilled shrimp, etc.. No one was disappointed. The portions were so large, I had to ask for half orders on day 4.

Before ending this report, I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about my fellow passengers. While there were a number of repeats from last year, there were more than a few new people. That was probably due to some people bailing when they learned that the boat didn’t have Lupe permits. Anyway, what a great group of people. After having long conversations with one of the passengers, we discovered that he was a deckhand on the El Dorado out of Morro Bay when my dad took me out and I caught my first albacore back in 1977. Go figure. Great meeting you Chuck. I could mention something about every passenger. Erik, Ian, Mike, Leonard, Mark, Kylie, Bryce..................... They were all good people. I give a lot of credit to Kevin Aguire for the group. The chartermaster can have a big influence on the trip. Kevin’s friendliness and demeanor carried over to everyone. I will definitely fish one of his trips again. No group stuck with just their own friends. Griff and I ate meals with just about everyone on the boat. It felt like this was a group that had been together for year.

For my son’s first long range trip, we could not have chosen a better trip or group of people. I know Griff thinks he is the lucky one. His dad took him fishing, he caught more yellowfin and yellowtail than he could count and won the jackpot. However, the truth be told, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. I got to spend 5 days with my son fishing. We love fishing together and hanging out.

View attachment 856305 View attachment 856314 View attachment 856317 View attachment 856318 View attachment 856319 View attachment 856320 View attachment 856321 View attachment 856322
Awesome report!! That's what it's all about. Trip of a lifetime for your boy.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

headed out.

View attachment 856305 View attachment 856314 View attachment 856317 View attachment 856318 View attachment 856319 View attachment 856320 View attachment 856321 View attachment 856322
all I have to Say, your Write Up was Priceless and
the only problem you have now is trying to go
with out Him .

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
Lt, a very great report that has me smiling from ear to ear. There is nothing better than fishing with your children, sharing adventures that create memories that last forever.
Congratulations to Griff on his first long range trip and winning the jackpot. Now he will have a serious addiction that is incurable. I imagine in 25 years Griff will write a long range report about fishing with his Dad and his son or daughter.
How terrific he experienced such excellent fishing amongst what sounds like a wonderful group of fellow anglers. Sounds like Captain Russ and his crew really have it dialed in with customer service.
By the way, I used to fish the El Dorado way back in the 1970's often. Mostly in San Diego but also up in Morro Bay. Perhaps we shared a rail while pulling on 40lb albacore in Morro Bay. What was the name of the former crew member you met on this trip?
Thanks for the report and pictures and sharing your experience.
sincerely,
Dan

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Awesome report and congrats to Griff for catching the jackpot fish on his first multi day trip. Batting 1000.

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Great report and congrats to Griff for the jackpot yellow! Nothing better than fishing with your kid.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Good story. I fear you have created a monster. He will be buying fishing equipment instead of a new vacuum cleaner..See whatcha have done!...Ap

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Congrats on a great fishing adventure together! Your report describes everything that is good about Long Range Sport Fishing. Thanks for taking the time to write such a fun report.

Wondrous adventures indeed!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Congrats on your sons' "trip of a lifetime" - you guys "came to FISH!" and the Shogun and her crew did not let you down. Kudos to Captain Russ!

I've found that if the first school you hit with a random group of anglers is in that 20# schoolie class, it helps let everybody meet and fish with everyone else for a better bonding towards the rest of the trip. It also lets the crew get to know what kind of "assistance" will be needed throughout the trip...and for whom.

Upvote 0

FLLR1

Almost A Member
    Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    Name
    LT
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    Lt, a very great report that has me smiling from ear to ear. There is nothing better than fishing with your children, sharing adventures that create memories that last forever.
    Congratulations to Griff on his first long range trip and winning the jackpot. Now he will have a serious addiction that is incurable. I imagine in 25 years Griff will write a long range report about fishing with his Dad and his son or daughter.
    How terrific he experienced such excellent fishing amongst what sounds like a wonderful group of fellow anglers. Sounds like Captain Russ and his crew really have it dialed in with customer service.
    By the way, I used to fish the El Dorado way back in the 1970's often. Mostly in San Diego but also up in Morro Bay. Perhaps we shared a rail while pulling on 40lb albacore in Morro Bay. What was the name of the former crew member you met on this trip?
    Thanks for the report and pictures and sharing your experience.
    sincerely,
    Dan
    Dan-His name was chuck. Said he worked on the boat when it was in Morro Bay on 76 and 77. He would have been 18 or so years of age.

Upvote 0

HoleSnipe

WhoDat
    Sep 21, 2015
    Tx
    Name
    Marco
    Boat
    None
    Great report, one day he will be taking you hopfully. A call Hey dad want to go fishing, hooked for life!!

Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
    Jun 9, 2010
    Port Aransas, TX, USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Great report, no doubt some life long memories will live on from this trip. Funny, I caught my first albacore on the "Eldo" in early mid 70's in Morro Bay with my Dad also. Looks like you now have a built in long range partner...Go Dad!!

Reactions: finishright
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Thank you for a great fishing report....you and your son are so fortunate to have shared such a fantastic trip together. Good stuff......

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report (I'm a true fan of the Shogun and glad to hear they did you well... Lupe permit or not). I know exactly how you feel as I took my son on his first SD LR trip when he was just 12 years old, and he too won the jackpot with a 43lb Albie on a 3-day trip (I was a proud Dad just like you - nothing like seeing your son standing next to a quality gamefish that he caught with a smile on his face from ear to ear). Your son is very fortunate to have YOU as his father... he will remember this trip for the rest of his life. Hopefully many more fishing trips together... :)

G

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Nice write up. I would have killed for a chance to go long ranging at that age.

Upvote 0

Palmer3317

Jul 28, 2015
    Colorado
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    None
    Great report, LT. I had an awesome time sharing the rail with you and Griff. You even scooped out the hot bait for me once or twice! It was a pleasure getting outfished by you guys.
    Eric

Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
    Vernon, Texas, USA
    Name
    Alben Lee
    Boat
    Excel
    Great write up. Nothing like a father and son adventure. Your son will remember his first long range fishing trip the rest of his life. Kudos to you sir.

Upvote 0