Shogun 3 Day 08/13-08/16

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by short-range, Aug 16, 2015.

1. short-range

short-range Independence

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Independence
    Just returned for a 3 day on the Shogun Aug 13th thru the 16th

Was looking forward to fishing with Aaron since I have not been on the boat since norm and Bruce ran it I was even more excites as the fish counts have been doing real good.

Left T.O around 3:30 Thursday morning arrived at the Landing about 6am in hopes to find a parking spot.

Within an hour I got one of the only spots to be had and unloaded my gear and went back to sleep in the car.

Checked in at 10am for the 11am departure.

Got on the boat stowed my gear away and then find out that Aaron will not be running the trip bummer.

We get to the bait receiver and loaded up on bait

Captain gathers us in the galley to go over the game plan.

We head str8 to the Coronado Islands and fished there from 1:30 to dark for 2 yellowtail total

Captain kept giving us a hour by hour report of what the other boats were doing on the tuna grounds a few hits a few misses.

Ok scratch day one off the books.

Day 2
    We stopped on a bird school and there we got 101 yellow fin on all types of methods I got what turned out to be a jack pot fish (jackpots were 1st 2nd 3rd) on the glow flat fall 250g first drop at just about 300 feet.

I also landed another 5 fish that day and farmed about the same.

This would be our only real stop of the day.

By day's end we had to go back in to get bait.

We arrive at the bait dock and see the line of boats getting ready to go out.

OK so it's not a 3 day its 2 1.5 day trips LOL

Capt gives us the night speech on how good we did as some boats had a lot less.

I assure you the way the trip was going I was excited to get that stop.

Last day Saturday and we are on the move as we did not have fish under the boat we went a little out west away from all 50 other boats that we saw, the only boat around us was the Condor which slid into not 1 but 2 areas we were closer to, one was a kelp the other were bird schools this was probably the shittiest move I have ever witnessed on the water BTW good job Condor you got 15 fish for the day Karmas a bitch.

We hit numerous areas thru the day we went North we went east for a lot of nothing

Sometime around 5-6 pm we get back to where most of the fleet were fishing and got lucky to find some birds and we got on some fish I got 2 from this last stop the boat total for the day was 28.

As were where scratching away on this last stop umm we ran out of sardines so we called it a trip

What worked for me 25lb fluro leader sardine
    40lb with Flat fall 250g glow

All in all I still had a load of fun caught 7-8 fish I ended up giving away my fish to people who did not get fish made some acquaintances the food was way better than the last time I was on the boat.

Oh yeah 1st time in 10 years I had something stolen on the boat it was my fish works outerwear jacked

that I left in the galley (which I always do) after the cook announced on the PA about the missing jacket it magically materialized on the tackle storage.

P1010852.JPG

P1010853.JPG

P1010854.JPG

P1010855.JPG

P1010859.JPG

P1010860.JPG

P1010861.JPG

P1010862.JPG

P1010863.JPG

P1010864.JPG

P1010867.JPG

P1010871.JPG

P1010872.JPG

P1010870.JPG

P1010875.JPG

P1010876.JPG

P1010879.JPG

P1010880.JPG

P1010881.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    ckster, phil R and kbray001 like this.
  2. sierraazuel

sierraazuel Saving World From Skynet

Name:
    Drew P. Balls
    Boat:
    Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper
    Thank you for report on your 3 dayer...

Bigfishhateme likes this.
  3. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Interesting report on your 1.5 x2 trip.
    Bait is a big problem right now
    One thing I will say is that you should be happy that you had a captain who communicates at least. I am sure it was a newer relief captain, but I rather have the straight facts and "speaking to yourself out loud " then silence.

Great pics.

Bigfishhateme likes this.
  4. cudun

cudun Member

Name:
    LUAN
    Boat:
    26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
    Thank you for the report! Apparently the nervous captain did better than most other boats, especially on Fri 8/14. FYI, the Royal Star and the Royal Polaris each got 6-8 fish for the whole day.

5. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Nice pix.

I too would have been apprehensive if the galley speech started out that way, but as posted above, at least he was communicative.

Actually, it sounds like the captain did ok--even if the boat didn't get a lot of fish, if its high boat for the area, you really can't do any better. There's been bait problems in SD, and likewise the captain can't control bait quality either (although perhaps bait management might have been different).

Sounds like kind of a tough trip, but about as good as could happen under the circumstances.

6. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    By now most guys should realize that this is the year of the private boat. Save your big boat money for next year... At least you got some fish...

egarratt likes this.
  7. short-range

short-range Independence

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Independence
    Maybe I expressed it wrong the captain did try his best no complaints there at all the communication I agree is great to have it's the delivery and context of the message example "ok we are going to give this another 8 minutes...well maybe 5 minutes...I really don't want to leave so lets see in 4 minutes all in one breath I just thought it was odd is all.

And yes bait management was the issue not the bait it self brailing and throwing 5's and 6's at non willing yellowtail around the islands with a heard of sea lions on you the whole time for 7 hours knowing you had 2 more days of possible good YFT and BFT

As said in my post I am happy I got as much fish as I did I had lots of fun on the trip and met some great people

8. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    You had an excellent 3-day trip. Congrats!

Skipper also knew that it was a quick run in for more bait on his way to the current tuna grounds. Sounds like that was a good plan.
    A lot of experienced captains head out not knowing for sure which way they are going to go....they just dont verbalize it to todays' internet-fluent fishermen.

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I can only imagine what another passenger might have to say if they hadn't tried to chum up the Yellows.

With the fish and the fishing so close, how is it a concern that they ran back in for more bait? I just read a report from another trip, different boat, and all their bait died and they finished the trip fishing with jigs! Anyway, thanks for the report, glad you got out and got to pull on a few.

Bigfishhateme and johndtuttle like this.
  10. Rhatical

Rhatical Captain

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    SD Fleet
    Was Bryan the Captain?

11. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Yes, do you know him? What's his story?
    He wasn't very confident. Definitely won't fish with him again.

Olddog8 likes this.
  12. Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme Semper Fi

Name:
    Sigmund
    Boat:
    "The Sea Monster"
    You gave away fish to people who didn't get a fish...kudos to you
    Can't believe Shogun crew didn't help passengers struggling to get a bite.

13. short-range

short-range Independence

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Independence
    One of the crew members were helping out some of the others that were not getting bit but we had lets call it 130 fish for the 3 days and a handfull of us got 6 to 9 fish each so not much else for the other 22 passangers 100 of those fish were caught in a short time span on Sat.

14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report. Getting a hundred yellowfin tuna out of one stop is a very good trip in my experience. And going back in for a re-bait is always a very classy move by a captain. Congratulations on the jackpot, it sounds like you were working hard.

johndtuttle likes this.
  15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I'm not a "Super Fan" of Shogun, but I do like the boat and admire Aaron for his accomplishments. The only trip I've fished on Shogun in the recent past was a March Rockfish 2.5 day, and I found Bryan very competent. Just because a guy doesn't come on like gangbusters and has a little humility, doesn't make him a bad guy. Better to under promise and over deliver.

desmonic, cudun, wils and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rhatical

Rhatical Captain

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    SD Fleet
    Have fished Shogun twice on short trips with him at the helm, and had the same experience regarding lack of confidence, never felt like he could get settled in any position (but admittedly I don't do it for a living!). A friend who has been on with both he and Aaron speaks highly of Aaron, I haven't had a chance to fish with him driving yet.

17. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Yeah, maybe the Capts feel like they have to give you your moneys worth by driving around, but in reality, there is quality and quantity close to the beach this year... Sounds like you got to pull on some fish and were on vacation! Win/win!!

18. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I grew up on fishing these short 1 to 3 day trips. One thing you learn early is that when the fish are biting it's time to put the wood to them. You never know when the bite is going to stop....and it might never happen again on your trip. It's tempting to stop fishing and take a nice picture of your hard earned fish....grab a beer to celebrate.....casually retie.....pros get back in the game asap! It might feel easy when every bait is a fish.....but that memory fades quickly when the searching starts again. As Andy on the Rooster likes to remind people....."nothing good lasts forever!"

pounder224, Steve K and Stik'umGud! like this.
  19. JonathanMM

JonathanMM Newbie

Name:
    Jonathan Mitsumori
    Boat:
    Tinker Toy
    My buddy ran a 3 day charter last summer on the Shogun, (Brian skippered) and I was very satisfied. They did not get as many or as big a fish as the previous trip, but that's fishing. There have been 7 day trips with barely a 100 or less on the boat. Couldn't complain about their effort.

Note, we ran it with 24 and not 30 passengers. That made it really comfortable. I understand at that time they, (Frank) replaced the cook, staff and most of the crew. It was every bit as good as the RS with more room, new engines, (not the SLOWgun any more), better ride than the RollyStar. My buddy likes the RS because of the service, we don't have to touch the fish, (except for photos), until we get back, have a cocktail breakfast then show up at fishermans processing and ask Rosie or Sean for our vacuum packed fillets.

In recent years I've only been on the RS and Shogun so I can't speak to the other boats now. I was out of SDLR fishing for about 15 years, (work was a bitch and racing sailboats took all my resources). In the before work, I did ride the RP, Excel, RR3, RS, Searcher, AA, Q105 so I have a little experience with the old school guys on the fall 8-10 day trips.. My favorite then was the Excel. Just an easy comfortable ride with first class service.

In the old days if you road with Frank or Grabowski, if you weren't fishing hard, they were all over you, (slacker) because they were working their ass off to get you on fish and rolling up the count.

The conclusion is they all have good trips, bad trips, all the skippers have their own styles and personality but if they working their ass off to get you on fish and providing first class service and food, then I'm a happy guy.

Good fishing.

Fishybuzz and bassalbie like this.
  20. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Thanks for the report. Glad you guys scratched out some decent numbers. :D

FWIW pretty sure the Condor would have been called into the bite. They weren't poaching your honey hole, just two boats out of Fisherman's Landing working together to get their guys some fish. :)

Nautical likes this.