Dexter Outdoors

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
They're going to Guadalupe according to their FB page. Bring the 60 to 100lb (60 is going light). Good luck.

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I'll be on the Shogun 12-26 with several friends, after doing the trip last year I though this is a easy trip yt and rockfish. A good place for some of my novice friends to start, wow that backfired. Anyhow anyone else on the trip?

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you end up. Here's to a break in the weather so you guys can get a chance at some of that Guadalupe goodness.

G. Island fishing will be a bit of a learning curve for your newer angler friends. The crew will help them get up to speed in no time. Sometimes the newer guys learn faster! Let the boat know if your buddies need heavier gear...60-lb has been the minimum.

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    Hot tip.....

Bring a box or two of frozen giant squid from an Asian market for fishing YT at night. On our trip right after Thanksgiving they out fished slabs, mackerel and sardines. The perfect size is about 12" but larger work too. The Asian markets in So Ca sell different quality for different prices. There is no need to buy anything other than the cheapest. When we got on the Shogun the crew put the frozen squid in a freezer. Fish as heavy line as you have with an appropriate BIG hook. I prefer a J-hook for YT, it is just too much fun to swing on them. Nothing fancy, just a dropper-loop via a surgeon knot. At times we need 22oz of lead. You have to let the YT fully eat the squid, simple thought is to not swing until the YT has eaten the squid and starts to swim off looking for the next meal. Be patient. Our largest YT was on a giant squid, right at 50#s.

Last edited:

Andy253

Jun 6, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Andy
    Hot tip.....

Bring a box or two of frozen giant squid from an Asian market for fishing YT at night. On our trip right after Thanksgiving they out fished slabs, mackerel and sardines. The perfect size is about 12" but larger work too. The Asian markets in So Ca sell different quality for different prices. There is no need to buy anything other than the cheapest. When we got on the Shogun the crew put the frozen squid in a freezer. Fish as heavy line as you have with an appropriate BIG hook. I prefer a J-hook for YT, it is just too much fun to swing on them. Nothing fancy, just a dropper-loop via a surgeon knot. At times we need 22oz of lead. You have to let the YT fully eat the squid, simple thought is to not swing until the YT has eaten the squid and starts to swim off looking for the next meal. Be patient. Our largest YT was on a giant squid, right at 50#s.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      193.4 KB · Views: 121

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    This is one of the best Christmas presents that you could ever receive. A winter rockcod trip suddenly turns into a trip to Guadalupe Island where the fishing has been off the charts. I'm on the trip and I have been getting things ready for the last week. New 80 and 100 lb spectra, new 60 and 80 fluorocarbon, and plenty of 4/0 circle hooks. I got my ass kicked in November but this time I am going to be ready.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Lupe Groupies, for sure! :) I can't get an image out of my head, a mental picture of a couple of Yellows from Guadalupe. I had just lost all my yoyo jigs in the bow, (didn't take long) and decided to try flylining Sardines again for the tuna. I saw these two beasts in the kill box, heads turned up in one corner and tails curled up in the other one! Frickin huge. Had never seen them that big. Welcome to Guadalupe Island.

cudun

Aug 30, 2005
    ORANGE COUNTY, CA
    Name
    LUAN
    Boat
    26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
    This is one of the best Christmas presents that you could ever receive. A winter rockcod trip suddenly turns into a trip to Guadalupe Island where the fishing has been off the charts. I'm on the trip and I have been getting things ready for the last week. New 80 and 100 lb spectra, new 60 and 80 fluorocarbon, and plenty of 4/0 circle hooks. I got my ass kicked in November but this time I am going to be ready.

Damn! So it is going to be your third trip to the Lupe since Nov? You are living my dream sir!!!
    Hope you get some monster YT this time.

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Name
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat
    21' Seaswirl
    Taylor,

If you and your friends get "diverted" to Guadalupe, you will not be disappointed. When you first see the island, it will be a memorable introduction to that fishery. One of our charters anchored for 3 1/2 days and never moved. 60-120# YFT on the long soak during the daytime, entertainment from the GWS, and 30-50# YT on the dropper loop at night. The YT can get big there, I took pics of the 92 pounder that came in on the Shogun on one charter just before ours.

The Shogun is wide and heavy. It rides low in seas and might cruise a little slower than the other LR boats, but she is very stable. If you take a pounding on the Shogun, you can imagine what it might be like on some of the other taller boats.

Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: lgd

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    Name
    Taylor Posey
    Boat
    Baby Lobster
    Thanks guys I will get some squid too thanks for the tip. I have fished the Shogun before and it is a very fishy boat. The office has called and confirmed that the trip will be to Guadalupe island.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....

Dang... Mike! When you did two trips in November, I was happy for you and kinda envious. But a 3rd trip..... after Xmas? Now you are just plain rubbing it in! I hope you don't find a sardine in your boots one morning :-).

JK...... good luck.... I'll be watching for your report. M.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Yea, this has been an unbelievable year. Every trip I have been on has been great from early June until now. I have been fishing out of San Diego for over 50 years and I have never seen a year like this. I hope my luck holds out for one more week. See you guys at the dock on Saturday.

Reactions: Pangamaster