Shogun 11/27/15 to 12/2/15

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by T.O.T.W., Dec 1, 2015.

1. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Last edit. Added a video of the deck after a good last-day snap.

For those heading out on the upcoming Guadalupe trips, I've compiled my daily notes and annotated them on the ride in. Fantastic trip. Some quick takeaways, don't be afraid to fish 80-lb, dry spells happen, listen to the crew, pull harder than you think you should, and don't even bother with light, as in, 50-lb line. I mainly used a 16VSX and Calstar 770H w/100-pound spectra to 80 and sometimes 100 fluorocarbon. For 60, I had a Torque 40LD2 on a Calstar 700H w/80 spectra. Both worked just fine. If I could have changed anything, I'd have bumped my 770H to a 770XH.

Update, added a couple pics. More later.

Here goes. I'll add pics later. They won't go through on boat's Wi-Fi. Lots of words in here, but maybe something will be of help to those on future trips.

My buddy Nick and I signed up for this trip as soon as the Guadalupe runs came online. We were out of our heads in anticipation for over a month. Plenty of prepping and watching reports leading up to departure day! Come to find out my buddy Brian and his fishing partner, Hieu, would be joining us, too. A great group of guys and gal rounded out the passenger list. Some hot sticks in the mix! Also find out that Inside Sportfishing will be filming, so you can tune in to see for yourselves how it all went down...

Day 1, left around 0730. Loaded up with good sardines, and headed to Ensenada for check in.
    Aaron gave seminar in transit:
    Prepare for the largers. Short fluoro leader--short enough that your connection remains outside your guides. This is shorter than I normally do it, but it worked just fine. Use circle hooks (hook should be large enough that your thumb can fit between the hook point and shank, probably 4/0 to 6/0 depending on brand). For line, 60 and 80-lb only. 100 lb if it's biting nails. Typical dropper loop for YT—16-24oz sinker, w/big hook above. The crew likes Trokars or Super Mutus.

The need for heavy line be was proven time and again over the next few days, "dropping down" meant using 60. Absolutely no need to go lighter. With the inevitable tangles, sometimes 5-way in the corner, the heavier line helped a ton. Aaron emailed everyone before the trip and said 80 and 100-pound spectra. 65 has been blowing up under the stress of this fishing.

Met with a low tide inside Ensenada harbor but bait ok. Took an hour or so to get inspected and head back out. Not too bad.

[​IMG]

More travel. Can't imagine that run to Hurricane Bank or Clipperton! Rain first thing in AM on that first day w/ some small showers after. Breezy and cool coming across from Ensenada to the island, fairly bumpy, too. Should be at the promised land by 2PM Saturday.

Food is excellent.

Day 2. Still traveling. Talked jigs and rigs w/Luke and Doug and Nick. Good opportunity to make some new friends and BS about previous trips.

Time to check rigging. Pretty much everything is set. We were constantly reminded to check drags. Nearly 0800 and about 40 miles to go. As of noon, we're about an hour out.

[​IMG]
    My buddy Nick's getting lots of knot practice while we roll down. We all get plenty of reps on this once fishing starts.

Finally here. That big island looms in the distance for hours! Did some looking and found something worth stopping on near the lower end. Fish got on us fairly quickly. Good quality. Current fairly slack, so we all went through lots of baits. I hooked one fairly quickly on 80-lb and ended up landing a PB 100+lb fish. Followed it w/a nice yellow, and finished the day w/another very mean 100+ pounder. Great start for just about everyone on board. Trip is pretty much made for me. A cherry on top would be a wahoo, but there aren't many around lately.

[​IMG]

Tackle note, used VMC Nemesis hooks and broke two, buddy broke another. All in same place just below barb. No lost fish but did not take the risk moving forward! These were all brand new hooks, no nicks, no rust.

Again, not an issue getting bit on 80. 60-lb would be minimum. No sharks to speak of, although, sealions were a nuisance, eating baits and even one jumbo tuna. We fished the kite which produced for the short time it was deployed. Ended day w/25 yft and as many yellows. Night bite for yellows is a slow pick. All dropper loop fish. Aaron says we will stay put and see what happens in the AM.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Spectra packed tight!

[​IMG]
    Nick and Brian getting after it.
    [​IMG]
    Kenny and Chris are doing it up in the galley all trip!

Day 3: 0500 and a couple dropper loopers are at it already. Didn't stay long and headed south. Fished the lower area most of the day with funky conditions. Big fish up to a 132 (taped) bit well in the AM. Things slowed and we didn't have another tuna all day. Water dirtied up a bit. I had one today around 60 or 70, Nick had a couple along with another big fish heartbreaker. He hooked big fish all trip! Finished at Westy's for a YT bite that went well into the night.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Day 4: Woke up to the boat in the trough. Strong wind against current. Moved down to tuna alley/inside outer rock. Incredible bite. Bit 80 and 100 all day. I had a few bite offs today. I'm sure two of these were wahoo. Jeff got one later in the day in straight fluoro, so they were there. Also pulled a few hooks, but no issue getting a bite. Sea lions were, again, their typical pain in the ass. We each donated at least 30 sardines apiece to them, if not more. Get a bait past that gauntlet and bites were plentiful. Crew was awesome dealing with tangles and everything else going on today. Some intense moments and heartbreaks but these things happen in a bite like this. We did not tag a fish under 50 lbs, maybe even 60. Got four fish for myself up to a hundy and decided it was time for some fun. Threw the Salas 5X on the Ulua w/a Torque 30 star drag loaded w/80 braid and a short leader of 60 fluoro for a bit. Got boiled on by a big one and made another cast. Burned the jig and out came Mr. Yellowfin all the way out of the water and clean onto the jig. Uh oh. Dumped almost all my 80-lb spectra in short order and ran down the port side into the square end of the boat. Pulled and pulled as hard as I could, literally to the point of trying to break this thing off to keep out of the way of the bait fishermen. This fish was pinned and not coming off! Russ and Tommie worked me and others out of a few tangles, one of which resulted in a broken guide on my Ulua and finally got my fish to gaff. Stoked! Fish taped at 114! Hell ya! I don't know how I did not part my spectra after I popped the guide ring, but it held.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fish bit well into the late afternoon. Some lost to sharks but the attrition is really minimal. Aside from rigging failures (bad spectra to fluoro knots for one) the biggest threat to losing fish was slack line holding tangled lines together. Gotta keep track of the slack!

I spent about an hour throwing a hookless popper in the PM. Had two blow ups, but not bites. I have plenty of fish.

Anchored right up against that big (Battleship?) Rock on the southern-most end tonight. I made scads while a few guys fished the dropper loop. Yellows aren't biting. Nobody cares! It's a party atmosphere on deck at this point.

Day 5: we have until about 1030 to top off on fish. Moved from Battleship Rock to the area we fished the day before and got right down to business. Still incredible grade. Get a bait out and you have a legit shot at a 100-lb fish. I messed around with a popper and surface iron for most of the morning. Couple blow ups but no biters. Brian got a good one one the popper.

[​IMG]

Finally went to bait but couldn't get bit on 100-lb line. Decided to go light (60) and got bit instantly. Handed off an 80-pounder. By 10:30 it was time to roll. RSW wells are completely wedged. Pulled anchor and hit the bricks. Snotty run into the wind. If your gear was up the side, you got soaked retrieving it! Still a good amount of guys enjoying the ride and refreshments.

[​IMG]
    "Dude, Nick! You were bit the entire trip!"

Overall this was a fantastic trip. Aaron, Russ, Dave, Tommie, Greg killed it on deck and Kenny and Chris crushed it in the galley. Everyone worked together pretty well and kept a good attitude. Can't wait to do it again!

Couple more random shots,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best beer tab, with redirect arrow!
    [​IMG]

Completely wedged!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Paul Casarez, TW5, Uglybones and 35 others like this.
  2. amnajar

amnajar Raider

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Which ever one will have me...
    Great report, very informative. Lupe is on the bucket list for sure...

doitnow likes this.
  3. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Sounds exactly like the 2-1/2 days we spent at the island on our RS 11-day - except once we anchored up on the south end, we never had to move! Absolutely awesome experience - it was definitely a privilege to fish under those conditions...

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report, I tried to get on that trip but it was sold out by the time I was able to book it.

5. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    great report the lupe is special

6. Baller

Baller Lives for fishing the surface iron..!!!

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Thank you for the intel and the report...!!!

7. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Thanks, guys. I got some great pics to share. I'll get them posted this evening. We're still heading up the line.

8. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Thanks for the report, especially the info on the VMC hooks. Was going to try some but won't use them for tuna now.

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  9. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    great report, it sound like the YFT bit pretty good, that great, now I know what I will be doing tonight
    cutting a few fish, how did Keith do

10. gregory

gregory Member

Name:
    gregory
    Boat:
    float tube
    I'm on this trip. We picked up 154 tuna with 70+ over #100.

No tuna for me on the first 2.5 days. Picked up 4 yellowtail the first day fishing. Had a slow start on the tuna by fishing with 80 fluoro on a Makaira 20 spoiled w #100 hollow spectra 770 XH with ringed nautilus but the tuna unbuttoned at gaff.

Dropped down to 60 fluoro on a Makaira 15 spooled with #65 spectra on my 770 H w a Trokar hook and picked up 4 tuna with 3 over 100 on the last afternoon. I fished off the bow using the biggest dine I could find and usually got bit within 5-10 seconds after my bait hit the water. Picked one more 100+ on the last morning fishing. Must get a good cast away from the seals.

Excellent crew! Fantastic food (but missed the surf n turf due to the high seas). Great group of passengers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    tmcustoms and Bigfishhateme like this.
  11. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    how did Keith do, he is on their with you .

12. gregory

gregory Member

Name:
    gregory
    Boat:
    float tube
    Everyone caught tuna. Keith killed the yellows on the dropper loop. He picked up a few tuna, too...

13. Abo

Abo Member

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    23' Searay
    Great report looking foward to the pictures

14. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    that's my boy,thanks

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, and this is just a guess based on an observation from one trip, did Luke fish like his hair was on fire> ;)

16. hanapah

hanapah Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    216 Cabo CC
    Thanks for your report,my son Jeff M was on the trip, hoping he did well. Again great report

17. hanapah

hanapah Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    216 Cabo CC
    Thanks for your report,my son Jeff M was on the trip, hoping he did well. Again great report

18. hanapah

hanapah Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    216 Cabo CC

19. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Luke did quite well and put the time in. Great fisherman and great guy!

Andy253 and Steve K like this.
  20. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    He did just fine! Got the token wahoo, too!

hanapah likes this.