Shoe buoys, 6-27, Pencil us in the 'Cuda log, Scooter!

PENN

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Got a text from my highly intrepid nephew Danny last night. Wanted to go fishing. I wanted to cook up a fun but adventurous trip for him. The Shoe for cudas on an Avon 2.85 it was.

Picked up bait at J. Deluca around 4:45. Got to Cabrillo around 5. Dropped the Johnson in the water, but got it attached, started, warmed up, and ready to go by 6. BUT, I'm almost 2 bills, nephew 2 plus, and despite cutting back on load, we brought a cooler of ice for anticipated snooter scoots. All that equals 6 MPH tops in the Avon.
    20200627_062645.jpg

Get out the gate, and get a view of the spectacle. Previous info had them around the last green buoy at the end of the exit channel. We saw the fleet. BUT the signs popped before even getting to the snot stick navy. We started with a luckycraft surf pointer thing, and a rap magnum. I cannot believe how long it took to get our first connection. But we found white flappy birds picking, cudas swirling, and knew it was just a matter of time. Sure enough, LC SP, plus birds and cudas, plus trolling upwind seemed to work for us.

I have to say, I tried everything. Painted jigs, plugs, rubber tails, chrome. They really just wanted that stoopid surf pointer thing (EDIT, it may actually be a Daiwa product, I'm not sure. Island tackle probably stocks it). Funny thing was I paired it to a 12lb rod and reel with 20 or 35lb spiderwire, so the fish were not gonna break off. My nephew manned this winning outfit all 1/2 day for a solid half limit of scoots. I owed a friend some nice fish. All were measured, gill plucked, and iced before nerves kicked in. Fish came home SOLID. That 12 lb rod got BENT.

20200627_132841.jpg

There is a red buoy just before the last green one to the west. Most were hooked on the troll about 2-3 mph while twitching the rod. Takes were solid. Lure lost 2 prongs off the center treble. Look for feeding terns and fish. Bite tapered off about 10am. May wanna replace trebs with singles and bring needlenose pliers.

20200627_201802.jpg

After the snot stick fest, we tried for bottom critters to no avail. Back in by 12 pm.

Ample forwarning , most of these fish were 29-31" egg-laden females. Prespawn. You conservationist sorts may want to CPR them.

Nephew had a great time, only dropped motor in water once, transom plug only snuck out once, boat ran well, no sink, no poli, no rod-rage A1 Tadys flying our way. Fish all around on the sign, not on the fleet.

Good luck all!

-Mike

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Referring to when Cattle boat warriors start hucking iron with jig rods at encroaching private boats, and vice versa. Not you personally. : D
    Tady A1= SM Bay cuda iron standard.

Upvote 0

matta57

hack
    May 30, 2010
    goleta
    Name
    matt
    Boat
    none
    Got a text from my highly intrepid nephew Danny last night. Wanted to go fishing. I wanted to cook up a fun but adventurous trip for him. The Shoe for cudas on an Avon 2.85 it was.

Picked up bait at J. Deluca around 4:45. Got to Cabrillo around 5. Dropped the Johnson in the water, but got it attached, started, warmed up, and ready to go by 6. BUT, I'm almost 2 bills, nephew 2 plus, and despite cutting back on load, we brought a cooler of ice for anticipated snooter scoots. All that equals 6 MPH tops in the Avon.
    View attachment 1162994

Get out the gate, and get a view of the spectacle. Previous info had them around the last green buoy at the end of the exit channel. We saw the fleet. BUT the signs popped before even getting to the snot stick navy. We started with a luckycraft surf pointer thing, and a rap magnum. I cannot believe how long it took to get our first connection. But we found white flappy birds picking, cudas swirling, and knew it was just a matter of time. Sure enough, LC SP, plus birds and cudas, plus trolling upwind seemed to work for us.

I have to say, I tried everything. Painted jigs, plugs, rubber tails, chrome. They really just wanted that stoopid surf pointer thing (EDIT, it may actually be a Daiwa product, I'm not sure. Island tackle probably stocks it). Funny thing was I paired it to a 12lb rod and reel with 20 or 35lb spiderwire, so the fish were not gonna break off. My nephew manned this winning outfit all 1/2 day for a solid half limit of scoots. I owed a friend some nice fish. All were measured, gill plucked, and iced before nerves kicked in. Fish came home SOLID. That 12 lb rod got BENT.

There is a red buoy just before the last green one to the west. Most were hooked on the troll about 2-3 mph while twitching the rod. Takes were solid. Lure lost 2 prongs off the center treble. Look for feeding terns and fish. Bite tapered off about 10am. May wanna replace trebs with singles and bring needlenose pliers.

View attachment 1162996
    After the snot stick fest, we tried for bottom critters to no avail. Back in by 12 pm.

Ample forwarning , most of these fish were 29-31" egg-laden females. Prespawn. You conservationist sorts may want to CPR them.

Nephew had a great time, only dropped motor in water once, transom plug only snuck out once, boat ran well, no sink, no poli, no rod-rage A1 Tadys flying our way. Fish all around on the sign, not on the fleet.

Good luck all!

-Mike
    sounds fun, great report

Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    Transom plug only snuck out once? Yikes.

Good job getting your nephew on some cuda. On the light gear too.

Upvote 0

Latest posts