clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
I was informed of a report about DDT dumping in our ocean water long ago which is still haunting us. LA Times has a jolting publication about Montrose Chemical company that dumped tons of DDT into the San Pedro Channel along with discarding DDT through the sewer pipe off the Palos Verdes shelf.

We live on this planet, we survive from the resources of this planet. Let's be better stewards. Link to the story is attached. God Bless.
DDT Barrel.JPG

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Although they gave it a shot trying to bury the stuff on the shelf it was only mildly successful. Maybe if they gave it two shits I mean shots. Or ten more likely.

The stuff in the channel is a whole nother thing. It's like, 3,000 feet deep. Just identifying the limits will be a huge challenge. Remote submersibles or maybe they could drag around a pH meter just off the bottom and could see it as a bump (drop) of 0.1 units or something coming off the sulfuric acid carrier, if it's not all neutralized. Mitigating it will be a whole nother nother thing. Half a million drums worth they estimate if I recall (maybe it was half a millions gallons--a lot less but still a lot).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
It’s clearly marked on govt charts. Wow that’s really disgusting.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
And Millions upon Millions of people would be dead without DDT. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. But I would give good money for some good ole black flag insecticide with DDT in it. They figured it out, that it was bad for bird eggs and stopped using it. My brothers and sisters played in those clouds back east on the Marine bases.
To me this is another story of professor finds cash cow to help him from finding real job. They are all just looking for a problem to get grants to keep doing whatever it is they do.

Reactions: onehottip

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
That's just what we know about, the ocean was used as a giant dumping ground for industry and the military for many years. Thankfully we hopefully know better now.
DDT is very effective but we have much better products now, work as well without the drawbacks.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
wow. previous generations have NEVER known about the DDT off the coast. :eek:
I think that you arm-waving young'uns should go off the coast of PV and start diggin' that crap off the ocean floor. Oh. Wait a minute. that was tried DECADES ago. It was then discovered that if the DDT impregnated into the ocean bottom was left alone, it was doing no harm. But if disturbed, the DDT would spread through the water table and spread with the currents.... becoming an active "problem"
Have you ever heard the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie."?

Was dumping crap in the ocean decades ago not such a good idea? yeah. Has it stopped? nope.......