clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    I was informed of a report about DDT dumping in our ocean water long ago which is still haunting us. LA Times has a jolting publication about Montrose Chemical company that dumped tons of DDT into the San Pedro Channel along with discarding DDT through the sewer pipe off the Palos Verdes shelf.

We live on this planet, we survive from the resources of this planet. Let's be better stewards. Link to the story is attached. God Bless.
    DDT Barrel.JPG

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Although they gave it a shot trying to bury the stuff on the shelf it was only mildly successful. Maybe if they gave it two shits I mean shots. Or ten more likely.

The stuff in the channel is a whole nother thing. It's like, 3,000 feet deep. Just identifying the limits will be a huge challenge. Remote submersibles or maybe they could drag around a pH meter just off the bottom and could see it as a bump (drop) of 0.1 units or something coming off the sulfuric acid carrier, if it's not all neutralized. Mitigating it will be a whole nother nother thing. Half a million drums worth they estimate if I recall (maybe it was half a millions gallons--a lot less but still a lot).

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    And Millions upon Millions of people would be dead without DDT. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. But I would give good money for some good ole black flag insecticide with DDT in it. They figured it out, that it was bad for bird eggs and stopped using it. My brothers and sisters played in those clouds back east on the Marine bases.
    To me this is another story of professor finds cash cow to help him from finding real job. They are all just looking for a problem to get grants to keep doing whatever it is they do.

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    That's just what we know about, the ocean was used as a giant dumping ground for industry and the military for many years. Thankfully we hopefully know better now.
    DDT is very effective but we have much better products now, work as well without the drawbacks.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    wow. previous generations have NEVER known about the DDT off the coast. :eek:
    I think that you arm-waving young'uns should go off the coast of PV and start diggin' that crap off the ocean floor. Oh. Wait a minute. that was tried DECADES ago. It was then discovered that if the DDT impregnated into the ocean bottom was left alone, it was doing no harm. But if disturbed, the DDT would spread through the water table and spread with the currents.... becoming an active "problem"
    Have you ever heard the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie."?

Was dumping crap in the ocean decades ago not such a good idea? yeah. Has it stopped? nope.......

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

Blind Luck

Almost A Member
  • Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    This too will fall by the way side...people will forget ....
    When we grew up in north OC we lived along Los Coyotes Golf course
    We played around the Super Fund McCall Dumpsite military waste pits. During the winter we floated down the golf course on rafts. The water ran down from the dumpsite at Rosecrans down to Malvern.
    When the dumpsite was cleaned up years ago, years after we grew up, the gov was going to track health issues with all of us that grew up there... only thing that came out of it was a FB site tracking cancers etc. I put it in the rear view mirror and live life

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    This too will fall by the way side...people will forget ....
    When we grew up in north OC we lived along Los Coyotes Golf course
    We played around the Super Fund McCall Dumpsite military waste pits. During the winter we floated down the golf course on rafts. The water ran down from the dumpsite at Rosecrans down to Malvern.
    When the dumpsite was cleaned up years ago, years after we grew up, the gov was going to track health issues with all of us that grew up there... only thing that came out of it was a FB site tracking cancers etc. I put it in the rear view mirror and live life
    I looked up Super Fund Sites in CA, I was shocked to see so many. In some cases, Businesses made huge profits, then left the mess for Tax Payers to clean up!

Reactions: Blind Luck

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    Unfortunately, this did happen.
    This is actually very old news though. My dad and I had a book we bought back in the 90’s regarding DDT and other PCV’s chemicals dumped there.

Nothing new. Yeah, I wish those people got punished for there actions.

There is nothing bad with bringing awareness again.

The question now, what is the best thing to do?

Perhaps leaving it is the wises thing.

When Exxon Valdez happened, more damage was done to areas “cleaned up” then left alone. I am sure science has advanced substantially, but it is debatable what is the best course action.
    Cleanups must happen if any with this lesson in mind.

If it was super bad, we wouldnt have had seen such good fishing in a past Nino there, when I caught my first YT on the surface iron, and a Dorado was caught on the Surface Iron. I was on the Enterprise.

We have seen the Bald Eagle population come back near Catalina.

Chemicals are dispersed through lava flows under the sea all the time that are toxic. It would be good sea some comparables there vs this dumping, but you wont hear about them, unless Oceanography is your major.
    Moreover, deep ocean does preserve wrecks from oxidization corrosion.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I would imagine most of the DDT has already been diluted and dispersed by now ? Those drums sure don't look intact.

Reactions: Larry S

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I guess the Vampire Squid, Coffin Fish, Sea Urchins, , Anglerfish, and Frogfish, turn invisible on the bottom Too.
    You said coral reefs.They live in shallow water.I'm not condoning the dumping,i'm just wondering if the DTT hasn't dissipated after all these years.Steel drums don't hold up well in saltwater.

Reactions: Larry S

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    You said coral reefs.They live in shallow water.I'm not condoning the dumping,i'm just wondering if the DTT hasn't dissipated after all these years.Steel drums don't hold up well in saltwater.
    I am with you brother! Not against you, Brother.

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    these shots were filmed up to 3 miles deep

Googled

"Deepwater corals thrive at the bottom of the ocean, but can't escape human impacts. When people think of coral reefs, they typically picture warm, clear waters with brightly colored corals and fishes. But other corals live in deep, dark, cold waters, often far from shore in remote locations.Dec 3, 2018"

Reactions: Chango3 and Noms

Latest posts