ironchucker

Unknown "Member"
Jun 3, 2009
Mile High City, CO
Name
charlie
Boat
Float tube. Kick boat, Jon boat
Lucky for me I have a buddy in SD that stores my rods and tackle box. I ship my reels in a pelican case to and from SD at least once a year and have never had a problem using these tips I've learned the hard way shipping equipment on the averge on 4 times a month for work. I opened up a personal account with fedex and use fedex ground. I ship to and from a FedEx location, if possible. There is a main shipping location near most if not all airports. Try and avoid shipping from an "authorized shipping location" or fedex office (formerly fedex Kinkos). When you fill out the paperwork, ship to yourself and "hold at Fedex location" and insure for replacement value. you can check the tracking number and check delivery. I do carry on 2 big reels (when fishing a long trip) and 2 small reels. This won't work for everyone but it works for me. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
If you have a UPS facility close ship from there rather than from the UPS store in a strip mall. I've found it to be considerably cheaper.

Southwest Airlines does not charge for 2 checked bags.

I've mailed freezer boxes back to fisherman's processing shortly before the trip. Rosey is very nice about letting me reuse freezer boxes rather than buy new ones every year. I was getting a collection.

Although trading fish for canned has the lowest yield of your catch, one can easily carry a case of canned tuna in a backpack as a carry on.

I've known guys that will buy clothes from goodwill, wear them once on the trip, and then discard.

I had TSA open my zippered rod case with a box cutter one year. They destroyed the rod case and then taped it shut. Since then I've used bazooka cases and tubes that are taped at both ends. Pack rods with care, I've lost one guide and one tip on air flights.

Oh yeah, take the jigs out of the rack on your SKB. Soft tackle boxes are the way to go on flights.

Upvote 0

Catch Five

Jun 29, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Name
Mike
Boat
None
How are you guys transporting your tackle boxes (aka large SKB 7200) on the planes as checked bags? Are you putting these inside suitcases or are the SKB tackle boxes tough enough to be checked without being put inside something larger and sturdier?

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
How are you guys transporting your tackle boxes (aka large SKB 7200) on the planes as checked bags? Are you putting these inside suitcases or are the SKB tackle boxes tough enough to be checked without being put inside something larger and sturdier?
Isn't the big SKB box too big to put into an overhead compartment w/o tipping it over.? If so your going to have to check it in.

Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
TSA nightmares . My worst experience was when i received my rods at the airport flying home and some genius took a hacksaw to the cap of my bazooka tube to open it and inspect . Some how he missed all my rods .

Upvote 0

otownjoe

rail hugger
Mar 6, 2012
Orlando
Name
Joe
Boat
big one with a high rail
I check my skb .its not eligible for carryon due to the contents. They are tough enough as is.I have the rod holder's on mine and its not a problem. On one trip they were so rough the plastic trays inside got broken but the outside showed no signs of damage. The SKB'S are tough as nails.

Reactions: Catch Five
Upvote 0

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper

I wouldn't check it. I don't trust the TSA to secure it after inspection and I had nightmares of all my tackle scattered all over the tarmac. I removed the rocket launchers and packed it in a cardboard box with bubble wrap or something. Then shipped it UPS to SD. The problem comes when you have to ship it home. I love my SKB but if I fly it stays at home.

The soft bags with the plastic tackle trays are nice as you can remove the trays and check them in your luggage. Then fill the bag with clothes and use it as a carry on.

Reactions: Juanba
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I wouldn't check it. I don't trust the TSA to secure it after inspection and I had nightmares of all my tackle scattered all over the tarmac. I removed the rocket launchers and packed it in a cardboard box with bubble wrap or something. Then shipped it UPS to SD. The problem comes when you have to ship it home. I love my SKB but if I fly it stays at home.

The soft bags with the plastic tackle trays are nice as you can remove the trays and check them in your luggage. Then fill the bag with clothes and use it as a carry on.
this thread is funny' it has me thinking now this guy from Chicago I met on a 8 day 9 years ago' and now leave his tackle bag 2 rods and lawn chair hear in So Cal' we talk every week about what's going on about fishing and family ' or is he calling to just keep in touch with me because of his stuff is stored here.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Here's an Option:

Check out bigfishtransport.com Mike can handle your needs from shipping your gear to his house, he can take care of all that for you. Plus he will come and get you from the airport with your gear and take you to the boat or hotel, etc. He can make a run with you to any stores you may need gear or other items. Plus when done with your trip he can get you at the landing and get you to the hotel or airport, and take your gear and pack it and ship it back to you. Plus he's great at cleaning and fixing reels too!

I am not affiliated with the business, but have been friends with Mike forever and he fishes with me all the time. He a BD member: finishright. We are restoring my second Cabo together.

John

Having read all the nightmare stories here, I can only say that this is brilliant! Someone to take charge and deal with the little things that cause anxiety. Did my rods make it, tips OK, guides need repair? Reel(s) need service, spectra work, anything like that. I have no idea what Mike charges for this peace of mind, but as in many cases considering cost compared to flights, fares, tips, fish processing, etc. I'm sure it's not much. Way to go Mike!

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2009
Alexandria/Va/USA
Name
RichC
Boat
23 Contender
I use to ship my stuff from DC to SD every year. I used a rod bazooka and packed the rods in opposite so the butts are on the ends, wrapped in big beach towels that I use on the trip. I used UPS mostly, but fed ex a couple times, it was pretty expensive. I now have a buddy at camp Pendelton so store my rods and west coast tackle box with him and just bring the reels back and forth. I think the bigfishtransport.com thing is a great idea and will use it if I don have a place to store my stuff in the future. That way you can send it early and be sure to get it. I had nightmare one time with UPS the guy didn't put the right delivery date on the slip I almost didn't have my gear for the trip. Triple check the documentation on both ends and don't be a dope like me.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Thanks Steve I also have a hefty supply of lead so you don't have to ship and charge for what you lose with the shorter trips coming up airport pick up and that last minute shopping is all included for a modest fee.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
The key to safe transport of rods is to alternate them bundled tip to butt. Once you insert them into whatever tube you use, cushion both ends and be sure that there is NO way for the bundle to shift within the tube. The Plano is probably the tube with the most capacity. The strongest tube, in my opinion, is the SKB but you can only safely get 6-7 rods in it and a spinning rod takes tons of room. I had a Plano Jumbo tube and the wheels were ripped off on the first use. FedEx paid me for the tube and I continued to use it until I bought an expensive rod case from Kilsong. It's made in Japan, is rectancular in shape and holds more rods than the SKB but less than the Plano.

I also carry my reels as a carry on. When I check in with TSA, I tell them that the bag contains expensive fishing reels before they scan it. The only time I've had to open the bag is one TSA agent simply wanted to see what I had and he asked if I had time to show them off.

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17

That's what I do

Upvote 0

ondarvr

Floating away
Sep 5, 2009
Monroe WA
Name
Jody Wyse
Boat
Blue Wave
A number of years ago, many airlines would not allow you to bring your reels in a carry on if they were filled with line! Have the airlines relaxed these rules?

In thirty years of traveling inside the US there has never been an issue with line on my reels, this comes into play when you are returning from countries in Central America and some other locations outside the US.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
MAKE SURE ALL YOUR REELS HAVE COVERS ON THEM HAVE GONE TO THE RANCH MANY TIMES HAS NOT BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THE REELS IN MY CARRY ON MAYBE LUCKY I GUESS OR THE SCAN DOESN'T SHOW THE LINE

Upvote 0

Chasntuna

Aug 12, 2008
South Carolina
Name
Brian
Boat
The one I choose to ride.
I travel from South Carolina to SD and will be using Mike from now on; I've fished with him and trust him, hell - he got my shit home last trip we did just to help me out. As far as rod tubes, I use the Plano Bazooka, 6 rods butt down (long rods to 8') and short rods butt up. I stuff a few t-shirts in each end to make sure it's all tight, helps cut down on luggage. I use rod socks on half the rods, this really helps with preventing broke guides. Ship that UPS to Mike. I use an SKB big LR box for tackle; stuff some deck rags under the jig hanger, more on top and padlock it then shrink wrap it. Make sure your pliers, knife and other "non TSA compliant stuff" is in the box. Ship that UPS to Mike. As for reels, I use a half shel OGIO duffle, wrap the reels in t-shirts. Put that bag in a rolling back pack and carry it on with my main bag of crap. WHen you get to SD, Mike picks you up with your shipped tackle, drops you off at the boat and he can take whatever you don't want on the boat home to store while you fish. Good luck, PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: clubhunter
Upvote 0

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I am not sure what the cost is to rent just the rods on some of the premium boats but I was thinking in my case where I have all the reels purchased and I am still building my rod arsenal, it might be a better option just to rent the rods on my first trip. I need to build about four more rods and unfortunately they are my 30, 40, 50 & 60. Components and everything will cost me about $1000. Also I just booked my first trip on the Excel for an 8 day July 16 so I need to make some quick decisions.

Upvote 0

Riccochet

Almost A Member
Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I am not sure what the cost is to rent just the rods on some of the premium boats but I was thinking in my case where I have all the reels purchased and I am still building my rod arsenal, it might be a better option just to rent the rods on my first trip. I need to build about four more rods and unfortunately they are my 30, 40, 50 & 60. Components and everything will cost me about $1000. Also I just booked my first trip on the Excel for an 8 day July 16 so I need to make some quick decisions.

Rick, Call the boat. I am renting 2 set-ups for $50 each to round out my gear for this trip.
They have Makaira reels and I believe the rods are Seeker's.

Richard

Upvote 0

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
What I have is;
Conventional....
Makaira 30Sea
Makaira 20Sea
Makaira 16Sea
Accurate Boss 600 2 speed
Accurate Boss 400 single
On order....
New Andros 5II 2 speed
New Andros 12 2 speed

Spinners
(2) Zeebaas 27
Van Staal 200
Shimano Saragosa 18000
Shimano Saragosa 10000

Conventional Rods
Cal star 700m
Cal star 800m
Cal star 770xxxh
Cal star 770xxh

I build my rods but have nothing on order. Was looking at the Super Seekers for a 30,40,50&60.

I have many spinning rods but they are all one piece and 9ft. There are some unfinished blanks that I could make that would be in the 7-8ft range 20-40 class. There is one that could be cut down to 7ft that would be a 50. Out of three, I could come up with a 30, 40 & 50.

Most of my fishing consist of Cobia Fishing along the panhandle of Florida. People can run the beaches on boats or you can shoulder up to the rail of one of the 1500ft piers that run off the beach. The water is gin clear and it is sight fishing with 3-4 ounce jigs. Needless to say, you have to have great eyes to spot them and then be deadly accurate in your cast to get them to hit your jig. Oh and did I mention there are a hundred to two hundred guys on the pier next to you with the same intent so it is competitive to say the least. That's why my arsenal of rods and reels are mostly spinning.

Upvote 0

DonVincenzo

Almost A Member
Sep 18, 2009
BX
Name
vince
Boat
haha
How do you guys ship the skb rod cases? Do you just lock them up and ship as is or do you put them in cardboard?

When on the boat where do these cases stay?

Planning on sending a skb rod case and a full box of gear to the boat.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Phil

Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Vince - I've shipped by Bazooka cases several times. I usually put some heavy duct tape over the end which on the Bazooka brand has a "door" you can open to insert or remove rods. Also put tape over the joint where the two halves slide together. Not sure if the SKB case is the same, but this has worked great for me. Believe it's been mentioned already, but on the boat, they will store the rod tube up on the top deck or in the case of the Royal Star over on the port side bridge wing.

I would not worry about putting the rod tube in cardboard. It's just weight you'll have to pay for.

Upvote 0