clubhunter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
Can anyone who has had their fish shipped to them give me an idea of what the cost would be? I am looking for general ideas. I know processing the fish is roughly .85 to .95 a pound. I live in Texas.

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I ship mine to Memphis, TN via Southwest Airlines. Five Star (the best) drops the fish off early on the agreed upon date and I pick it up at the freight house later that day. Cost averages about $1/#

Reactions: fishgirl

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I ship to Dallas when I use FP, costs about 75 bucks or so for a 70 pound box, this is fresh not frozen on Southwest. I think thats right I could be off a few dollars but I don't have the invoice anymore. But If your flying back you and have no checked baggage then they can set you up with two boxes of 50 pounds or so each to take on as checked.

Chasntuna

Aug 12, 2008
South Carolina
Name
Brian
Boat
The one I choose to ride.
Last batch I had shipped was about .50 / lb or even less, shipped air cargo / SWA from SD to SC. I think I paid just over $100 for 4 60# boxes.

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
Last batch I had shipped was about .50 / lb or even less, shipped air cargo / SWA from SD to SC. I think I paid just over $100 for 4 60# boxes.
Brian,
That's a great price. Did you handle getting the boxes loaded and to the airport or was that the flight you were on?

soabd

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Name
Bill
Boat
NA
Five Star ships my fish from San Diego to Reno on a non-stop Southwest flight about one week after getting off the boat. I looked at my records and it appears that if I ship one box which is about 50 lbs., which is less than a minimum weight the airline has established, the cost is well over $1.00 per pound. The times where I have shipped 2, 3 or 4 boxes the cost is well under $1.00 per pound.

Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
If you don't pay attention, it doesn't matter. You're going to get it all shipped anyway, just sign on the dotted line. I have had my 8 and 10 day trip fish shipped from SD to Denver Airport by Five Star for many years and I have never checked to see how much I spent -- just like with fishing gear -- just buy more stuff, buy more stuff!! Truth is, you're getting it anyway. So, just go to the dock, tell Five Star to ship all your fish (I recommend skin on), and enjoy...till the next trip!!! It will work out. It absolutely HAS TO.

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
Buck a pound is peanuts, considering once you have all those chunks of premium tuna and all the bartering you can do (wink, wink) it is way worth it. Tuna steaks for tomatoes, tuna steaks for just about anything.

jay415

Jul 31, 2014
San Francisco
Name
Jay
Boat
none
Just a thought yellowtail costs around $20/lb at sushi market in California. Definitely, a bargain with fresh or frozen. I was thinking the exact question you asked.

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I finally got Five Star on the phone and they said that the cost are $30 for the box and $65 for the SWA Shipping. The box holds #65 pounds. The shipping cost goes down with more boxes but I would assume the box costs would stay the same.

The Great PF

Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
Rick: The important thing is to have the shipment go to IAH instead of your house. If you pick the boxes up at the freight terminal, it will be about 1/5 of the cost to ship it all the way to your house. Remember, it's good to learn from your mistakes, but better to learn from the mistakes of others......:eek:

Chasntuna

Aug 12, 2008
South Carolina
Name
Brian
Boat
The one I choose to ride.
Brian,
That's a great price. Did you handle getting the boxes loaded and to the airport or was that the flight you were on?
No - it was all handled by Rosy at FP. I can't remember what the boxes and gel packs cost but it was all lumped in with the processing. I paid the freight to SWA when it arrived here in SC.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Over a 10 year span, it's run about a buck a pound with no stress, details all handled by Five Star. They ship up to me in Spokane.

Reactions: Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Over a 10 year span, it's run about a buck a pound with no stress, details all handled by Five Star. They ship up to me in Spokane.

Yep x2 only difference is I live in Arizona……5 Star takes care of business….