Shimano Vs Avet

chovyman

Jan 13, 2008
san bernardino
Name
michael
Boat
none
What's the thoughts putting together a couple rigs 15# and 20# for salt and heavy fresh strippers catfish whatever else comes

Looking at shimano 400 or Avet sx ?

Thanks

Michael

Upvote 0

dota9

Mar 18, 2012
fontana
Name
long
Boat
outcast prowler
My #20 outfit is best overall right

Calcutta 400D paired with terez 8 medium..
butter smooth,light and comfortable all day performance

Last edited:
Reactions: Tackleho619
Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I am sure you will like whatever you buy, no matter what the brand. But, that Avet is a whole lot more versatile than the shimano. And, in my opinion, the order is as follows:

Penn>Avet/Okuma>Daiwa>all the other brands>Shimano

Having said that, a lot of people do love their shimanos.

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
Shimanos are great and so are Avets. However, if I need to go with Avet, I'd would try to go with the Raptors only. Lol

Upvote 0

dota9

Mar 18, 2012
fontana
Name
long
Boat
outcast prowler
its not about what company is better remember it's what the op wanted A #20 outfit for fw and sw... I don't ever wanna see anyone use a 2 speed in fw unless your river monster Jeremy wade...

Reactions: tony38
Upvote 0

dota9

Mar 18, 2012
fontana
Name
long
Boat
outcast prowler
Please correct me if on wrong but I just saw Avet line up and all they have are 2 speed... How about talica II vs Avet flag ship

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
Whoops, didn't see the #15 and #20. If that's the case, go with Shimano. They have the Calcutta which is pretty good for those applications.

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
Please correct me if on wrong but I just saw Avet line up and all they have are 2 speed... How about talica II vs Avet flag ship

Avets have single speed too. It's kinda hard to compare the Talica II with Avet Raptors because I never used the Raptors before. However, I think the Raptors do put out more drag than the Talica II for the same size reel. For example, Avet SX Raptor has 26# of max drag and Talica 8II has 20# of max drag. The Avet SX has only 14# of max drag.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Avets have single speed too. It's kinda hard to compare the Talica II with Avet Raptors because I never used the Raptors before. However, I think the Raptors do put out more drag than the Talica II for the same size reel. For example, Avet SX Raptor has 26# of max drag and Talica 8II has 20# of max drag. The Avet SX has only 14# of max drag.
they put out more drag... they are machined from stock aluminum... they have stainless steel gears..... The shimano is shinier out of the box. lol :)

But seriously... For 15-20lb, you can get a can of soda and wrap line around it and fish it. I would suggest going to the store, feeling them both out, and just deciding whichever one feels best for you. For 15-20lb, I would check out the Avet SXJ single speed.
-Aren

Reactions: strackle99
Upvote 0

JTL750

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 8, 2013
SD
Name
Str8up Jesse
Boat
SS Bobber
My #20 outfit is best overall right

Calcutta 400D paired with terez 8 medium..
butter smooth,light and comfortable all day performance

Way too slow retrieve IMO. Sold my calcutta 400d and went with a Lexa 300. Couldn't be happier. Way better price point, more drag, and an external cast controll.

Side note* pretty shitty design for a saltwater reel to have an internal cast control that you need a screwdriver to access IMO

But, to answer the OP's question, neither. I agree with tanner.s that a non level wind reel would be my last choice for freshwater. But if you're looking at the calcutta line, check out the daiwa luna. It's very similar looking but a better price. And the best part, it's not a shimano!

Upvote 0

Grmanrocks

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Spencer
Boat
26' Navy Whaleboat
honestly for the application youve posted id say a 300 sized baitcaster is the way to go.

my top choices in that catagory are as follows:

Lexa HD (own one, havent got anything special yet on it as i am stuck on the east coast throwing plastics to wimpy inshore fish haha), goes above my
mainstay the curado due to stainless gearing and stock power handle.

Old Curado 300Dsv (killed yellows (about 15lbs) sharks (60lb +) rockfish, lings, bass and butts galore). Its old tech but its solid, indestructable and refined. mine is modded with a 300ej spool, line guide, LJV Power handle and carbontex + ZPI spool bearings. has 300+ yards of 20lb fireline fused and i tie on various bite leaders to get the job done. love this thing! pic of the piece below:

image-jpg.632489

Revo Toro Beast (havent tried this one, but hear good things and love the toro line despite not currently owning any)

I think for 15-20 in freshwater an avet is overkill and a 400 sized calcutta is too wide for me..

Upvote 0