• Total voters

Awsum

Jun 5, 2017
Huntington Beach
Name
Eric
Boat
27' Defiance
Im searching for a new reel for yellowtail (and be able to handle smaller yet and bft) and was stuck between the shimano Trinidad 20a and the aiwa saltiga 35ha. as far as I can tell, the saltiga is maybe the same thing with a smaller line capacity but runs almost $100 dollars cheaper. can anyone give any input to why which one is better than the other? thanks.

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
The 20 will be fine for just about every application we see excluding the bigger BFT that have been around. The line capacity may be an issue. Use Maxcuatro and it should eliminate any capacity issues should you hook one.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Im searching for a new reel for yellowtail (and be able to handle smaller yet and bft) and was stuck between the shimano Trinidad 20a and the aiwa saltiga 35ha. as far as I can tell, the saltiga is maybe the same thing with a smaller line capacity but runs almost $100 dollars cheaper. can anyone give any input to why which one is better than the other? thanks.
I have 2 of 20 A 'S, I use one for my 30 LB. and one for 40LB.
nice and light and has great free spool

bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
Remember you're on a Shimano forum, so my vote is for the Trini 20. Have owned a Trinidad 20 and a Torium 20 for the last 15 years. They were both unexpectedly replaced with a newer version last year when i sent it in to Shimano for servicing. Love the reels and can't beat the Shimano customer service.

hookedup711

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2017
Deerfield Bch
Name
Chris
Boat
46 Hat
Well they are both awesome reels. You can't go wrong either way. It's a matter of what your needs are. I can't attest to the newer Saltigas 35ha 40ha etc. I can however say that I own both (Saltigas 30T, 40, &50 star drags and 4.9:1)and Trindads (20A, 30, &30DC) I will have to say that the Saltigas are a bit smother and deliver more power and torque. But if you are looking to rip a lures across the surface or vertical jig I'd have to go with the Trinidad. But for battling a sea monster my vote is Saltiga all day

Reactions: MikeKilo