Shimano Trinidad 20 A bearing questions ?

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
1. Are the 2 spool bearings the same size and what are the dimensions ?
2. Any link to after market bearing and should I get ceramic bearings ?
3. should I get ABEC-5 or ABEC-7 ?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    Yes Ceramic is the best of the best. ABEC 3 or 5 is good enough. Higher rating is higher tolerances. Rated for Higher RPM. Downside, salt collects easier in there.

Check out bocabearings.com fishing reels. I am sure it is listed under fishing reels. Currently down the site.

Pull bearings, measure with micrometer, or visually see if its the same. That should put you close enough with the mm.

I am sure Alantani.com will be a good resource.

There you go.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    1. Are the 2 spool bearings the same size and what are the dimensions ?
    2. Any link to after market bearing and should I get ceramic bearings ?
    3. should I get ABEC-5 or ABEC-7 ?

Thanks
    1. Pull the schematic out and check the part numbers of each bearing. That should tell you if they are the same. Smooth Drag sells bearings and drag washers.
    2. Ceramic bearing are high tolerance and high speed bearings. Not necessary for a fishing reel. Waste of money.
    3. ABEC-5.

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    1. Pull the schematic out and check the part numbers of each bearing. That should tell you if they are the same. Smooth Drag sells bearings and drag washers.
    2. Ceramic bearing are high tolerance and high speed bearings. Not necessary for a fishing reel. Waste of money.
    3. ABEC-5.

I did note from real world experience, that a friend of mine had the same reel with the same rod, with ceramics bearings, and light oil. Fathom 12 1st gen casts noticeably better for sure.

That man is also a car mechanic.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    The bearings are not the same size and you're going to need the bearing tool to pull the right side bearing off.

Ceramic bearings are not high tolerance, and they aren't high speed by bearing standards. You just can't machine ceramic to the same tolerances as steel, hence why all the top end speed bearings are all steel. I've played with bearings, you honestly cannot get any better than the stock shimano bearings in those particular reels, you're better off just cleaning them out and relubing with a high speed bearing oil.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    The bearings are not the same size and you're going to need the bearing tool to pull the right side bearing off.

Ceramic bearings are not high tolerance, and they aren't high speed by bearing standards. You just can't machine ceramic to the same tolerances as steel, hence why all the top end speed bearings are all steel. I've played with bearings, you honestly cannot get any better than the stock shimano bearings in those particular reels, you're better off just cleaning them out and relubing with a high speed bearing oil.
    I stand corrected.

Upvote 0

marzocchi

Captain Seasick
    Nov 15, 2006
    Lost at Sea
    Name
    Dat
    Boat
    Aww Shucks

Are you sure about this?

Cause the ceramic would be smoother and more round. Less friction = more speed?

And isn't a ceramic hardness around 70-80, while a steel bearing is around 50-60

How about the thermal properties? Wouldn't steel expand and ceramic wouldn't as much?

I don't know why my college buddy would send me ceramic bearings instead of steel ones from his factory. He told me these are the best for my fishing reels. What a dick.

JK Derick you are the best.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    So for background, I had a project for DARPA where I needed completely non-ferrous, and even non-metallic bearings that could handle really high RPMs, I think it was something like 60k at peak speed. Knowing that boca made ceramic bearings I thought this was a done deal. Turns out they're not that great. It's important to note that the bearings we're all talking about are not "ceramic" but "hybrid" ie ceramic balls and metal raceways. Hardness and thermal properties don't mean anything when the balls are out of round. Silicon nitride is very brittle and very hard to machine, the material is usually pressed and sintered with some post processing grinding, but the extent you can do that is limited. Quickly learned from research that the fastest bearings were indeed all steel construction for this very reason. The hybrid bearings are nice for reels in that they limit galvanic corrosion, and the balls are the first thing to rust on all steel bearings. The japan made steel bearings Shimano uses are really very, very good, they often just get packed in grease. Clean that out and you'll be pretty hard pressed to find better performance out of that reel.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Is there something wrong with the bearings that are in it? If not Take the spool bearings out, clean them out with carburator cleaner and lube with some TSI321 oil. You should notice they'll spin much better. If want want to go a step further polish the spool shaft and inside the pinion with very fine steel wool, to further reduce friction. You should get much better freespool. Just adding gucci bearings isn't a magic bullet and might not do much good at all if they have grease in them. Lots of good info on the interwebs to improve freespool

Upvote 0

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
    Jan 12, 2016
    San Pedro
    Name
    Rich P.
    Boat
    None
    The left side spool bearing, in the frame, is 4x11x4.
    The right side spool bearing, behind the pin, is 6x12x4.

I installed aftermarket ceramic bearings in my Trinidad 20a, with just a drop of TSI321. It is noticeably “faster” and ”noisier”. I like them, but you have to ensure you lubricate those bearings more often without grease in them.

Reactions: Tuna-Sniper
    Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL

thanks, I will do that.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    thanks, I will do that.

If you get them off the spool, pull the shields (I think the spool bearing shields are removable, they might not, can't remember) and soak in acetone overnight. With the bearings completely degreased wipe the exposed surfaces with a bit of oil, add a single drop of TSI or a good reel oil into the race and spin the bearing a bit to work it around, that's all they need. Extra oil just slows them down.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    I took 10 of my Shimano reels to Irvine headquarters. My bill came to $290 for labor...No charge for bearings, shafts etc. (37 parts listed)
    I'll drop off 10 more this year ...how can you go wrong?
    Most of the top reel manufacturers offer this service...$25-$30 per reel for labor...n/c parts.

Upvote 0