F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    For Bait, Jiggs, irons, and poppers what would be the best option? I have a UC Wahoo 90 to pair with this reel. What would be the best option as a easy to cast, smooth, light weight powerhouse? Yellows as big as they get. Something that can handle 50lb bft too. A friend caught a 100lb on his tranx, a vid on YT shows a guy catching a 102lb. Basically an all around reel for all stardrag uses.

tugasangler

Apr 9, 2016
    Virginia
    Name
    James
    Boat
    Yankee Capts
    I’d choose Trinidad . Have both reels and Ocea jigger and all things considered . When a fish is on the line I’d rather have the trini . When a big fish in on the line I hope and pray I have the trini. I do get the same feeling of power when I use the tranx for swimbait fishing big largemouth bass ... but when used in the ocean under ocean fish load it worked. It did not work as good as the trini . But I was able to cast the lighter lure further with the tranx. Sometimes getting the bite holds more weight than the fight. Sometime the bite is easier to get .

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I’d choose Trinidad . Have both reels and Ocea jigger and all things considered . When a fish is on the line I’d rather have the trini . When a big fish in on the line I hope and pray I have the trini. I do get the same feeling of power when I use the tranx for swimbait fishing big largemouth bass ... but when used in the ocean under ocean fish load it worked. It did not work as good as the trini . But I was able to cast the lighter lure further with the tranx. Sometimes getting the bite holds more weight than the fight. Sometime the bite is easier to get .
    By the TranX didn't work as well what do you mean? And for big Yellowtail and smaller 20-30lb bluefin what would be the most versitile thing you can fish all day? Is the TranX just not strong enough?

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    I run 20a's on both my 40# and 50# jig sticks. Both have a long (casting distance) mono top shots so the knot does not pass through the guides.

Tranx 500HG is good for a jig stick because of the level wind. That's about it IMO, but I believe it does hinder casting distance a bit. I used to run 500HG's, but switched over to the 20a's. Some people say that getting a birds nest out of a 500 is hard, but I never had that problem.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I run 20a's on both my 40# and 50# jig sticks. Both have a long (casting distance) mono top shots so the knot does not pass through the guides.

Tranx 500HG is good for a jig stick because of the level wind. That's about it IMO, but I believe it does hinder casting distance a bit. I used to run 500HG's, but switched over to the 20a's. Some people say that getting a birds nest out of a 500 is hard, but I never had that problem.
    So Trini is the way?

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    So Trini is the way?

The 20a and the 500 carry different amounts of braid. The 500 spool is like a 16a I believe.

Is the 20a the way? It is for me because I run long mono top shots of 40# and 50# mono. Not only that, I think the 20a feels way better in my hand than the Tranx.

Reactions: lazyfisherman

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    The 20a and the 500 carry different amounts of braid. The 500 spool is like a 16a I believe.

Is the 20a the way? It is for me because I run long mono top shots of 40# and 50# mono. Not only that, I think the 20a feels way better in my hand than the Tranx.
    I like running big topshots too so you can pull as hard as you want. And it keeps my braid clean.

chavid

Almost A Member
    May 6, 2013
    Rancho cucamonga
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Pursuit 315 OS
    You cannot go wrong with either. I like the Tranx 500 for Jigs, Popper, Plastics and my Trinidad 20A for live baits. I am lazy and the 20A has a clicker which is why I use it more often for fly-lining baits, dropper loops siting in the rod holder on my boat. . I cannot do that with the Tranx. Casting wise the Tranx is much better, no backlash and more cranking power than my 20A. The Trinidad hold alots more line which is very good for them long far soak with live baits. Either way both can bring in those 100 lb Bluefin but you will get you ass kick .

bowen405

L3757
    Jun 16, 2017
    Southern California
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    I’m a big fan of the Tranx. Caught 2 100# class bft on it last year. Once you hook em it is more work but the casting and retrieve are insane

83DD2F8E-382C-441B-8D2A-394D7C41011E.jpeg

zam

Almost A Member
    May 2, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Tree
    Boat
    iWish
    my honest opinion after just picking up a tranx 500hg this week would be to go t20a. More versatile reel. Only plus I am seeing in the tranx is the level wind. I got a good price on it and pulled the trigger. If I was paying full price i would have gotten t20a. Especially after trying this out, a little big on the grip and didnt cast as far as my fathom 25n. Will be buying the trinidad 20a for live bait 20-30lb setup.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    my honest opinion after just picking up a tranx 500hg this week would be to go t20a. More versatile reel. Only plus I am seeing in the tranx is the level wind. I got a good price on it and pulled the trigger. If I was paying full price i would have gotten t20a. Especially after trying this out, a little big on the grip and didnt cast as far as my fathom 25n. Will be buying the trinidad 20a for live bait 20-30lb setup.
    I'm getting the 20a.

Reactions: zam

Goosed10

Almost A Member
    Jul 12, 2008
    Murrieta,Ca
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Give the tranx time...I didn’t like mine at first either, now I really like it. The tranx had a break in period for me for some reason. Now it’s set up just like my curado’s. Casts really good.

Reactions: FlatPack and zam

MaxDrag760

Go big or go home
    Mar 11, 2014
    La Quinta ,CA
    Name
    Jessi
    Boat
    Any boat
    I have the 16a,20a and the tranx 500hg and Pg models. IMO Trinidad’s are better! They just feel so right in your hand, they cast better and have the clicker! When fighting a bigger fish the trini seems to be more rigid and stronger, without the flex. Either way you can’t go wrong with both reels. Hell just buy them both.

:cheers:

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Just so you guys know, the Tranx 500 and Trinidad 20 have the exact same internals.

Love the Tranx 500 but the Trinidad definitely has a lot more line capacity.

Might not be so bad if I could fish a really thin superline with the Tranx 500 but I haven’t been able to fish with anything thinner than regular #65 braid or #80 superline without backlashing and I can only get about 300 yards of that on the Tranx 500.

You would be able to easily fish any line you wanted to with the Trinidad 20 and get that 500+ yards you need to have a chance at landing a big 200+ pound fish on a big sport boat.

The Trinidad is great for bait. If you’re throwing lures, practice and practice first.

A lot of people try to throw lures off the bow even though they haven’t put the time into practicing and then they get a bad backlash and have to strip tons of line off their reel which really messes up everyone else ability to fish effectively with all of that line laying around and floating in the water.