styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Crap! Increasing problems with my left hand force me to go pretty much all level wind in the future.

My favorite reels for Baja have been my Torsa 16N and 16. I haven’t even bothered with small and medium sized 2 speeds since the Torsas came out. Anybody who has fished them very much will know what I mean. They are super smooth, have great drags, have a lot of torque, and are basically bullet proof. They are way overbuilt compared to most of the reels out there today, and they feel it.

On the downside, they are a little heavy and aren’t the best casting reels in the world.

Shimano had parts for them last spring, but I do recommend stocking a few hard to get parts (drag washers, lever quadrants, drag program dials, dial springs, possibly unique bearings) for future use. Shimano customer service helped me put together a short list of parts to backup my 16N which will go to my grave with me...there may be good fishing on the other side.

This Torsa 16 was one that I was saving for my old age (I will be 79 in a few weeks, so I guess I’m already there). It has only been fished a couple of times and has had the best of care…a lot better than I have given myself. It has no rash or corrosion. It hasn’t been used since summer of 2019, and was serviced by Shimano after it’s last use. I had a slightly longer Torsa handle installed on the reel for more leverage. I think it was from a Torsa 30 or 40.

I will be transferring the 80# spectra from this reel to a new level wind, so the reel will be bareback. I have the clamp and manual, b
ut no box.

The reel is $600 (very firm) either picked up in Ventura County or including shipped in the USA.

DSCF3714.jpeg
DSCF3717.jpeg
DSCF3719.jpeg
DSCF3720.jpeg

Reactions: pacificscout

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Tranx 500

I picked up a Tranx 400 when I started having hand problems and liked it better than my Lexa 400 (felt a little stronger on big Rooster Fish is Baja). I used a friend's Tranx 500 on some YT, and, while it felt a little bulky, I have decided to go that route. It doesn't have the power of the Torsa but I don't have much choice.

My left thumb pops in and out of joint at it's own discretion when trying to level line and it hurts like hell. Three hand surgeons have told me that at my age and with diabetes the only way to prevent the problem is to fuse the thumb in one position. I'm not keen on that solution.

Reactions: Biglou001

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
I have used my Torsa 16N and 16 reels for trolling on Calstar 765XL and 765L rods in Baja. They have taken big Roosters, Tuna, Dorado, Sailfish, Marlin, YT, etc.

I have also fished them on a Shimano Trevala for YT, Grouper, Pargo, Cabrilla and Amberjack.