Shimano Torium looses drag setting at random?

mfpaul1970

Jul 8, 2019
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael Paul
Boat Name
none
I have a couple Toriums that I use for kind of all purpose reels. I'll use them for rockfishing, yellowtail, and school size Yellow fin or Blue fin tuna. the biggest fish I've caught with them was 40 pound Bluefin Tuna.

Yesterday I went out on a full day boat out of San diego. I was using 40 pound leader and had a deckhand check my drags at the start of the day.

Over the time I've used these reels, I've noticed that while fighting a fish I have to tighten up the drag because it just seems like the fish is stronger than it should be that late in the fight. Yesterday, while fighting what turned out to be a 35 pound tuna, I felt like the drag was too loose. I'd conservatively give it a click or two more drag because I'm always nervous about doing this. the deckhand was near me and he tested the drag by pulling on it and he's like "yeah, that's way to soft" and clicked it like 8 clicks. he told me that the Toriums are notorious for loosening up like this. 10 minutes later, it felt soft again and sure enough, he came over and clicked it up at least 5 more clicks from where he had it before.

I have two different reels and I've noticed it on both of them. is this really a common issue?

I don't much like the idea of having to adjust my drag mid fight but it's certainly something I've had to do more than once.

if I want to switch to another reel to avoid this problem, what are the recommendations? Yeah, I know I'm basically going to get suggestions for every reel from every manufacturer so maybe it's too open ended of a question. But I want decent reels that I won't have to worry about loosening up on me.

I don't understand how they're loosening because I don't think the start adjuster is actually moving but maybe it is and I just can't see it? I have a couple Penn Fathom's that don't seem to have this problem, I just use them on lighter rods so haven't really used them to fight yellowtail or the like.

is this Torium issue (if it is a known issue) only on the toriums or would a Trinidad have the same issue?

thoughts?

thanks

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat Name
sunk it
A lot of star drag reels have a spring washer that puts a little pressure on the star to keep it from moving. It looks like a regular washer but it’s wavey. Could be yours are missing or just lost they’re “spring “. That would be one thing to check, could be something else too

Upvote 0
May 29, 2019
California
Name
Connor
Boat Name
Imaginary
Common issue on both toriums I've had, both a 14hg and a 16hg. Got rid of both of them in favor of a tern, which I had had no issues with, and a trini which I haven't had much experience with yet but so far so good.

Reactions: mfpaul1970
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
Cali
Name
alby
Boat Name
None
Interesting. Used original toriums exclusively for many years for our boat rods because of the ability of that reel to lock down on shallow water yellows..
Got new toriums last year and put em through hell and so far so good..
Sure hope that don't happen..

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
I have a couple Toriums that I use for kind of all purpose reels. I'll use them for rockfishing, yellowtail, and school size Yellow fin or Blue fin tuna. the biggest fish I've caught with them was 40 pound Bluefin Tuna.

Yesterday I went out on a full day boat out of San diego. I was using 40 pound leader and had a deckhand check my drags at the start of the day.

Over the time I've used these reels, I've noticed that while fighting a fish I have to tighten up the drag because it just seems like the fish is stronger than it should be that late in the fight. Yesterday, while fighting what turned out to be a 35 pound tuna, I felt like the drag was too loose. I'd conservatively give it a click or two more drag because I'm always nervous about doing this. the deckhand was near me and he tested the drag by pulling on it and he's like "yeah, that's way to soft" and clicked it like 8 clicks. he told me that the Toriums are notorious for loosening up like this. 10 minutes later, it felt soft again and sure enough, he came over and clicked it up at least 5 more clicks from where he had it before.

I have two different reels and I've noticed it on both of them. is this really a common issue?

I don't much like the idea of having to adjust my drag mid fight but it's certainly something I've had to do more than once.

if I want to switch to another reel to avoid this problem, what are the recommendations? Yeah, I know I'm basically going to get suggestions for every reel from every manufacturer so maybe it's too open ended of a question. But I want decent reels that I won't have to worry about loosening up on me.

I don't understand how they're loosening because I don't think the start adjuster is actually moving but maybe it is and I just can't see it? I have a couple Penn Fathom's that don't seem to have this problem, I just use them on lighter rods so haven't really used them to fight yellowtail or the like.

is this Torium issue (if it is a known issue) only on the toriums or would a Trinidad have the same issue?

thoughts?

thanks
on the older ones , I had the same Problem , when I switched out the Drags
Then They were a work horse ,
My son has the HG 16 , and it has been fine.

Upvote 0

Porkchoponr1ce

Almost A Member
Nov 12, 2005
Monterey park
Name
Andrew
Boat Name
None
It’s a common issue with the toriums. Their quality control is very inconsistent. One are great and some are just like that. The ones that act like that, there is no solution. I would look into another brand.

Upvote 0

Latest posts