Shimano Talica 12ii ARB Failure?

Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
Hey Guys!

Decided to screw around and prep my stuff for an upcoming trip on the Aztec.

I am very meticulous with my gear. Always cleaned, dried and stored.
I pulled out my Tac12 and slapped it on a rod to set the drag.

Before I even did anything, I engaged the drag to "Strike" and turned the handle.
It felt gritty and made some strange noises. I tried to pull some line off the spool only to notice the handle spinning the opposite way!

Its been about 2 years since its been professionally serviced.

I'm almost certain it is the ARB. w

But! Wouldn't the dogs engage, keeping the handle from spinning backwards?

Glad it happened at home and not on a fish... Would've crushed my hand haha.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I'm certain the Talica series reels do not have an anti-reverse bearing (ARB). If your handle turns backward, then the mechanical anti-reverse dogs are stuck, likely from corrosion build up. If it feels gritty when you turn the handle, odds are he pinion bearing is toast -- likely due to internal salt and corrosion as well -- and while it is great that you clean your reels, the inside must be cleaned and lubricated at least annually.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Seen this happen to someone's Talica on a sportboat.

It felt gritty and made some strange noises. I tried to pull some line off the spool only to notice the handle spinning the opposite way!

Need to open up the reel and inspect parts TGT0883, TGT1564, and TGT1565. While getting there, note the level of grease on the internal parts for SW intrusion protection; if on the dry side, then there's your first culprit.

Reactions: Mk6_Robbie
    Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
    so cal
    www.socalfishingdynamics.com
    Name
    will
    Boat
    Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
    Have it serviced. Their techs do a great job.

Reactions: johnnyrodd
    Upvote 0
    Sep 10, 2016
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Justice
    Just give them a call,
    Because I think they have a 3 day turnaround on them.

Im on the phone with them right now, just waiting. 3 days isn't too bad.

I do have a back up. Just never experienced this kind of issue with any reel.

I really enjoy my Talica's.

Not worried about it too much.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    Yes, make sure they are taking drop off's at the Irvine office. If not, I believe they may still want you to mail it in? Please let us know what you find out.

Upvote 0
    Sep 10, 2016
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Justice
    I'm certain the Talica series reels do not have an anti-reverse bearing (ARB). If your handle turns backward, then the mechanical anti-reverse dogs are stuck, likely from corrosion build up. If it feels gritty when you turn the handle, odds are he pinion bearing is toast -- likely due to internal salt and corrosion as well -- and while it is great that you clean your reels, the inside must be cleaned and lubricated at least annually.

You are correct, no ARB.

Guys at Sav-On were able to take a quick peek inside.
    Absolutely great guys at that shop!
    Just a tiny bit of corrosion on the AR Dogs that kept them pinned open.
    Back to normal now.

Reactions: Cubeye and jer dog
    Upvote 0

Pablo2fish

A humble student of the game.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Aquasport 250 Explorer
    You are correct, no ARB.

Guys at Sav-On were able to take a quick peek inside.
    Absolutely great guys at that shop!
    Just a tiny bit of corrosion on the AR Dogs that kept them pinned open.
    Back to normal now.

Great that you got it operational. If there was enough salt to pin the Dogs open, you should probably get it serviced at Shimano just to be safe. Last year I took my Tac12ii in and they turned it around in less than 24 hours. If it needs some new parts they tend to put them in at no charge. IMO Shimano has the best service in the industry.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    This isn't limited to the Talicas, or really any manufacturer's reels that uses a passive dog anti-reverse system (ie one without spring assists like Avet). I service Shimano reels a lot so I can speak for them: clean the ratchet plate, the pillar(s) the dog(s) ride(s) on, and the dogs themselves (focusing on the interior surfaces of the fingers and interface surface between the dog and pillar, ie hole). Pinch down the fingers a little bit to be sure that they will make good purchase with the ratchet plate. Lube the pillars with oil, not grease. The ratchet plate needs no lubrication and is very corrosion resistant. You want low friction between the dog and pillar and high friction between the dog fingers and the ratchet plate. Coating everything with grease can result in the same malfunction.

Upvote 0

scotlewis

Aug 30, 2010
    Tustin, CA, United States
    This isn't limited to the Talicas, or really any manufacturer's reels that uses a passive dog anti-reverse system (ie one without spring assists like Avet). I service Shimano reels a lot so I can speak for them: clean the ratchet plate, the pillar(s) the dog(s) ride(s) on, and the dogs themselves (focusing on the interior surfaces of the fingers and interface surface between the dog and pillar, ie hole). Pinch down the fingers a little bit to be sure that they will make good purchase with the ratchet plate. Lube the pillars with oil, not grease. The ratchet plate needs no lubrication and is very corrosion resistant. You want low friction between the dog and pillar and high friction between the dog fingers and the ratchet plate. Coating everything with grease can result in the same malfunction.
    Thanks. I greased them well, and now they don't work. Opening it back up to clean them up.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    No prob. Grease is great where it's needed, but not where it's not. The idea of basting the insides of reels entirely with grease is a pretty bad move overall. You're better off just popping the side plate off once every while and touching things up.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Great that you got it operational. If there was enough salt to pin the Dogs open, you should probably get it serviced at Shimano just to be safe. Last year I took my Tac12ii in and they turned it around in less than 24 hours. If it needs some new parts they tend to put them in at no charge. IMO Shimano has the best service in the industry.
    Good idea, but Sav-On Tackle is a authorized Shimano Service Center, so there shouldn't be any problem taking it there for service.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    No prob. Grease is great where it's needed, but not where it's not. The idea of basting the insides of reels entirely with grease is a pretty bad move overall.
    Would you care to give more details as to why you think this is a bad idea?

Yes, grease is used mainly for lubrication and heat dissipation on gears and bearings, but I see nothing wrong with covering the internal parts of a reel with a light coat of grease, using grease in screw holes, and between two mating parts. Doing so, keeps the salt water from entering these places.

And we all know what salt does to aluminum.

And yes, I agree that too much grease can cause problems.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Type of grease makes a difference, using the Yamaha marine grease definitely helps, but I tried the approach of coating all interior surfaces but ran into issues with it contaminating areas that are designed to other lubrication schedules, bogged down other moving parts, and actually retained more salt in the reel than if they were just properly cleaned at the end of the day (not hosing them down driving water into the reel). This was at least my experience, and only with Shimano reels.

I go through my reels pretty regularly as I skiff fish a lot and they need the attention, so it's less of a hassle to have grease everywhere. In general best to just lubricate to MFG specification and nothing else, very unlikely you'll do better and quite likely you'll make things worse.

Upvote 0