Shimano speedmasterr 16 hard to reel

Jlmuncie

Feb 14, 2017
Ontario, CA
Name
Joshua
Boat Name
At the landing
I just received my new in box Shimano speedmaster 16 yesterday. In low gear it seems to work just fine, free spool is smooth but I can hear a little almost grinding noise as it slows down and then the trouble starts when I switch into high gear. It gets annoyingly hard to reel and I can actually feel a small knock periodically as I turn the handle. It also gets harder to reel as the drag pressure is increased. Wondering if I got a lemon or if this is how they are? Seriously thinking about returning it and trying another brand if this how they are. Thanks for any replies.
That's not how it is, return it.

Upvote 0

Kuvasz

Jul 22, 2019
Queensland
Name
Ian
Boat Name
Galeforce
just wanted to close out this thread in case anyone was wondering what happened. Just got my reel back from Shimano yesterday, replaced pinion bearing under warranty. Reel operates and feels much smoother now than when I first purchased it. If you need any Shimano reels serviced I suggest sending them in right away. Mine took 2 full months to get back.
Thanks for the update. Maybe a bad batch of bearings, or maybe an untrained staff member breaking them.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat Name
LazyAngler
just wanted to close out this thread in case anyone was wondering what happened. Just got my reel back from Shimano yesterday, replaced pinion bearing under warranty. Reel operates and feels much smoother now than when I first purchased it. If you need any Shimano reels serviced I suggest sending them in right away. Mine took 2 full months to get back.
or grab a back up reel like a Penn Fathom or Okuma Cavalla. In that case you still have something to use while waiting for the one under repair or service.
…,glad it’s now back in your hands and ready to use.

Reactions: 7emptsT
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
or grab a back up reel like a Penn Fathom or Okuma Cavalla. In that case you still have something to use while waiting for the one under repair or service.
…,glad it’s now back in your hands and ready to use.
I dropped off A reel at Shimano last week , and they told me that it would be at least four weeks before its ready for pick up . don't wait till the Spring to get them in ,
because you will be shit out of luck .

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat Name
LazyAngler
I dropped off A reel at Shimano last week , and they told me that it would be at least four weeks before its ready for pick up . don't wait till the Spring to get them in ,
because you will be shit out of luck .
Yeah itseems longer wait times nowadays are the new normal post pandemic hence I have these guys come handy as back up for my highend reels…

8CC2018F-7E9B-4A3C-A025-6371BA588E7A.jpeg

Reactions: 7emptsT
Upvote 0

Latest posts