skipjack

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
What a POS! Thanks,I'll never buy a shimano rod.
They should have thought it out before rejecting your warranty.
Good thing you posted it,I hope they read your post.

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
I see why they denied your clim . That was faulty use on your end. trolling rods go under a lot of stress. More than likely you high sticked the rod and it went snap. In your picture it seems like its the first 12" of the rod that leads me to believe a high stick. Also last I checked shimano doesn't make a salmon trolling rod but I could be wrong. If your complaining then just get a ugly stick problem solved. Most rods now a days break because of user not defect.

Rex_SD

Aug 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
Rex
Boat
Bayrunner 20 ft, Davis Bahia 25 ft
I do similar fishing at the Buoy 10 area of the lower Columbia river for salmon using a 1 pound ball. You might consider looking at rods designed for salmon trolling with heavier weights. Lamiglas makes rods specifically for this type of fishing. I use a Lamiglas XCC 1066-GH Kwik Series Fishing Rod. Do a search on the Ifish board: http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9. This rod is available from amazon for about $245.

Reactions: fishe

JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Use slow action glass rods for salmon trolling. 9 foot shimano talora rods are decent. Dragging gear around for hours puts a ton of stress on rods, plus the glass rods are actually better for salmon since they stay bent keeping tension on the stupid barbless hooks we use. Carbon fast action has no place in salmon fishing.

Reactions: Mo

size matters

May 3, 2006
oc
Name
kraven Morehead
Boat
32 center console( century)
you get chinese rods......you get a coin toss....
phenix......shimano......crap

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I broke 3 shimanos and don't buy Chinese rods anymore.
Did you send them back to Shimano? If so, what did they have to say? Just trying to find out how good their warranty is. How did you break them?

MisterBandit

Aug 6, 2008
corona del mar, ca
Name
rick
Boat
All In
Did you send them back to Shimano? If so, what did they have to say? Just trying to find out how good their warranty is. How did you break them?
I walked my Terramar into shimono in Irvine and my rod was replaced. What can't be replaced was the only GT I hooked on my trip to Fiji. Lost the fish when the rod broke. My Terez didn't snap in half, 4 of the guide inserts popped out. But that was this past year, after Shimano changed their warranty to only 1 year. I was told that I wasn't covered, and am stuck with a worthless rod. The warranty isn't good after the first year. And who cares about the warranty when you lose a PB fish anyway.

Reactions: Cubeye

Noble Hook

May 4, 2005
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
25' Outrage "Inhaler" & 29’ Shamrock Walkaround “Novia Loca”
Did you put the rod straight up in the air and let the weight swing into you? If you did you "high Sticked" it and any fast action rod from any manufacturer will break exactly where your rod broke ever time with that much wieght. You can use that style of rod for what you are doing but you need to gently swing the rod horizontally from the water into the boat with any gear you may have set up, not perpendicular to the water.

Reactions: fishe

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
The guy just wants to rant and bash shimano but won't respond to his on thread. go air out dirty laundry else where not on here.

Chinalaker

Inshore/Offshore, Just in the Ocean
Nov 19, 2012
Port Ludlow WA
Name
Mike Myers
Boat
28' Cutwater -Salty Soul-
Bingo is my guess.

A double break sorta tells a story.

Rods don't just double break for no good reason. 1lb weight comes out of water with rod in holder, boat starts bouncing due to swells, and that one pound weight suddenly equates to more lbs of force per swell bounce and how heavy bounce is........ suddenly one good swell bounce and the upper top section breaks, sending weight down hard and breaking another lower section.

The unknown fisherman:p:
the rod was in my hands as I was reeling it in. If thr Rod broke at two different times as you suggest, none of the three of us onboard heard it. What we heard was a single snap. It's OBE anyway, they didn't replace the rod so end of story. I go back to my description of 1# of weight and 1# of fish. I spent $150 for a rod that wouldn't handle 1#..