waterwolf2230

Jan 6, 2017
Edmonton
Name
Curtis Schriever
Boat
26' RH Sea Hawk Pro with Twin Evinrude G2 - 225 HO's
Hey fellas,

I'm heading to SD for a 3 day aboard the Excaliber on October 9th and am planning on which gear I'm going to bring. I can't seem to find any information where people have used these Game Type J rods for tuna. The B605 is 6' and handles jigs to 300 grams. I've caught 85lb halibut on it and whipped them with ease. I was going to pair it with my Talica 12ii loaded with 80lb Maxcuatro. The rod is parabolic but has a crazy amount of backbone. Do you all think it would be suitable for a trip like that? There are times when live bait just isn't working and a reaction bite from a FF jig will be in order. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Cheers,

WW

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I use my Game Type J S624 for Albacore in Oregon, love it, my "Captain's Rod" jig stick for Albies. I am bringing my 624 paired with a Van Staal VR 200 loaded with 50# braid on my upcoming 10-Day on Intrepid October 2 - 12, mostly for Amy to use, should be a fun stick for 40# and under Tuna, Dorado, etc. Your 605 is 1 line class/jig weight class stronger. Paired with your Tac 12ii should be a good high speed jig stick for medium sized Tuna. If you hook anything significantly larger I think you may have difficulty in the "death spiral" stage due to the short length and parabolic nature of this stick. Good luck! I'll look forward to your report.

Last edited:
Reactions: benwah22
Upvote 0