Shimano Shimano Calcutta 300D or Trinidad 10A/12A

beezy

Jan 21, 2012
Long Beach
Name
Bee Thao
Boat
Beezy
hey guys I have a predicament here. I'm planning to make a reel purchase pretty soon and have narrowed my choices down to these two reels. I will be planning to use the reel for freshwater (mostly swimbait), inshore, and offshore fishing. So, in your opinion, which one of the following reels should I get: calcutta 300D, trinidad 10A, or trinidad 12A?

Please note that this thread ONLY relates to these 3 reels. I do not want suggestions for any other reels because I have narrowed down my options and I am settled on buying one of these. Just wanted others' opinions.

Upvote 0

heatmiser

Gear Whore
Oct 1, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
23' Chris Craft Sea Hawk
That is a wide range of what you are looking to do (freshwater, inshore and offshore) with one reel. Not saying it can't be done but you will have to make a few compromises. If you will mainly be swimbait fishing I would buy the new Calcutta 300D (or better yet the Calcutta 400D). If you will mainly be live bait fishing inshore or offshore I would buy the Trinidad 12A (or better yet the Trinidad 14A). If half swimbait and half live bait I would go with the Calcutta...

Upvote 0

beezy

Jan 21, 2012
Long Beach
Name
Bee Thao
Boat
Beezy
thanks for the reply, but um yea I'm planning on mainly throwing heavy swimbaits in both freshwater and lures in saltwater as well. In addition to that I will be using it for live bait as well.

Upvote 0

dweston

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 12, 2008
vista Ca. USA
Name
Duane
Boat
yours
hey guys I have a predicament here. I'm planning to make a reel purchase pretty soon and have narrowed my choices down to these two reels. I will be planning to use the reel for freshwater (mostly swimbait), inshore, and offshore fishing. So, in your opinion, which one of the following reels should I get: calcutta 300D, trinidad 10A, or trinidad 12A?

Please note that this thread ONLY relates to these 3 reels. I do not want suggestions for any other reels because I have narrowed down my options and I am settled on buying one of these. Just wanted others' opinions.
ok with that said I WON'T recommend a curado 300 but the calcutta

Upvote 0

raynman

Aug 5, 2006
oc
Name
ray
Boat
still looking
Calcutta is fine, you can get away with inshore species no problem.
I wouldnt push it offshore unless you want to farm a fish of a lifetime.

Upvote 0

rza007

Iron Sheik
Sep 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Fish
Boat
How did you narrow your choices down to 1 levelwind lowpro and 2 small conventional? Get the curado for fresh and a saltist for inshore.

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
trinidad 12a. is best for offshore. A calcutta 300 is a good choice for inshore.
Given your interest in choosing one or the other I'd pick the Trini
go gettum, Mick

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I have the trinidad 12a......and I like it, but I would go with the calcutta because of the level wind for what you want to do.

Many guys use their calcutta 300 TEs offshore. 30 pound class yellowfin and yellowtail no problem.

Upvote 0

thomasfishing

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
1851 seaswirl striper WA & 2601 Striper
If money is not an issue go with the Calcutta otherwise, the triniddad 12 A will give more bang for your buck. especially on the resale value. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

Hungone

Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Trinidad 12A perfect all around reel, as long as you throw heavy swimmies you'll be good to go. I have one on an 8' graftech and it casts very very well.

Upvote 0

Chemel

Why u crying?
Mar 22, 2010
long beach ca
Name
Jose
Boat
ha ha, I wish
I have both reels and my favorite all around reel is the trinidad 12A. it has power and speed. the calcutta is good but will tire you out with the smaller handle.

Upvote 0

chamackO

Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
if you're throwing swimbaits, use the calcutta. you'll want that levelwind. i used a torium 14 for big swimbaits at DVL a few weeks back. trying to twitch and walk-the-dog wasnt very fun.

it'll be a compromise either way. but using levelwind for live bait in saltwater is less of a compromise than throwing big swimbaits all day without a levelwind. just pick a lively chovy or sardine, and you'll be fine. the freespool of the calcutta will be a lot smoother than most of the old open conventionals that other guys are using anyway.

Upvote 0

OffTheBottom

Mar 19, 2013
Santa Cruz CA USA
Name
Chris
Boat
Your Boat!
Two different reels. For all day casting swim baits the calcutta is a fine choice; but it won't be the best live bait reel because it doesn't have a clicker:( You might want to check out some of the other reels shimano offers that include a clicker & level wind, like the takota series for example.
I just bought a trini 16na to soak baits while I use my 300d to cast swim baits to the kelp critters.. sometimes 2 is better than one!
Hope this helps, Tight lines!

Upvote 0